Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tired of Evo -- Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man I feel your pain...I have gone through some clutches in the past 2+ some of the big name ones as well, and I know it gets expensive and frustrating. I have considered getting another car myself as it almost seems like if its not one thing its another with the evo. I am on engine # 3 now I think. I am now thinking of learning how to drop the tranny and do the clutch jobs myself to save some money.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it has to be driver error.

25k miles, ~350whp, 0 launching, still grabs like hell.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Once I first read this post I was like damn this guy must beat the **** out of his car. There is something going on with the car or you. That is not normal.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Take the spoiler off if your car draws too much attention, people always mistake my EVO for a base Lancer, I also get less hassle from cops (knock on wood). As far as clutch, don't spend the thousands of dollars on the Exedys and etc. if they really aren't lasting as long as you hope. People keeping telling me to buy a twin disc when I upgrade my clutch, but honestly I haven't seen enough data to see a tremendous difference in clutch life over a single disc. Ok maybe you get 5,000 more miles out of a twin disc, but does that make up for the price difference of $500 or less for a single disc vs. $1,800 or more for a twin disc. Also try Ebay, perhaps you can find a cheaper clutch there.

If your tired of the EVO because of how expensive it is maintain, then you should find lower costing alternatives. But if your just tired of the EVO period and want to move on, then that's fine, but I don't think a 350Z is a really great choice right now, don't be fooled by a magazine's shocking road test, not only EVO owners are shocked by that outcome. I mean a lot of the reasons you buy an EVO are just flat out missing in a 350Z, it's just not a great car to move on from an EVO. There are other choices out there for you to pursue, so do you homework before you select a new car.

Also last thing, if your really serious about buying a new car, I suggest waiting 2007 model season out, because 2008 model season will have a lot more to offer, there will be major changes for the 350Z, EVO, STI, and a lot of other cars. 2007 model season is in my opinion a dead model year, I say that because a lot of cars will be just carry overs fom 2006, some w/ slight changes. 2008 will be better time to buy a car and a lot of changes for cars.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

How about the new Mazdaspeed 3? It's FWD, but has recieved a lot of positive comments and is a real sleeper. The transmission sounds pretty sturdy. Car and Driver launched the thing over 60 times in one afternoon and Mazda engineers basically said to go ahead and beat it because it won't break.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 38k on my car, Still on first clutch! Remember the choice is up to you, just do something that youd be happy with and not regret
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

I believe that there may be a slight manufacturing defect in the transmission components of your car that may be leading to the abnormal clutch wear. It may be a part is just barely out of alignment, or some of the tolerances are just out of spec to cause the issue. Finding the culprit will be very difficult and expensive, however, so the price you pay is a new clutch every year or two. That can certainly get old. As Kenny Rogers said, you got to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em. In your case, I don't blame you for having second thoughts, no matter how impressive the Evo is. Only you can decide what to do -- if the hassle of repeated cluth replacements is wearing on you, then sell the car and get into something different.

As far as unwanted attention from street racers goes, I highly recommend removing the wing and getting JDM tail lamps. I did that on my Evo and the difference on the street was night and day. I barely get any looks at all any more and that's also a good thing when law enforcement is involved. The cool thing is that people who really know cars, enthusiasts, will instantly know and respect that you have an Evo.

Good luck to you in whatever path you choose to take.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:38 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the feedback.

In regards to the clutch:

I ALWAYS lift before shifting and unless I'm in bumper to bumper traffic, my left foot is on the dead pedal. I made a real effort with this clutch to do my best to pamper it, as I wanted to see just how long it would last. Now I have my answer.

I too have considered the twin disc, but am also worried if the additional cost outweighs the durability. From what I've seen, I don't think it does.

There may well be something wrong with my transmission that is eating through clutches, but I would be in a difficult situation now to bring the car to the dealer. I have put in two non-stock clutches and that would probably void my car of any warranty work it would need if there was a problem with the tranny. They would just blame the problem on the clutch and tell me tough luck.

That's another issue I didn't talk about before -- service. We all know that for the most part, Mitsu service bites. Not only that: dealerships just seem to close over night. I've been through two dealerships now and have to drive like 30 miles just to get the car serviced.

Also, I agree that 07 is somewhat of a dead year for cars. I would love to wait this thing out, but one of the issues is the clutch. It is JUST starting to slip now, and only under heavy load. I could easily trade it in now and the dealer would be none the wiser. However, if I wait any longer it will become noticeable and once that happens, I will either have to swap in a new clutch (and keep the car) or trade it in at a significantly lower price, which I wouldn't do. So unfortunately, this is an issue which needs to be resolved soon.

Infiniti has a special 1 year lease option on the G35 which is only like 5 dollars more than their 3 year lease. And even at that price, it would be $480 a month versus the $525 I'm paying for the evo now. I am considering doing that for a year and then if I really miss the evo, I can pick up an exo X or a used evo IX and get those limited slips and ACD I'm missing in my 03 model.

I mean, it's not like I almost have the car paid off. There are still three years left, which is a long time. I don't know...
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lee_K
I believe that there may be a slight manufacturing defect in the transmission components of your car that may be leading to the abnormal clutch wear. It may be a part is just barely out of alignment, or some of the tolerances are just out of spec to cause the issue. Finding the culprit will be very difficult and expensive, however, so the price you pay is a new clutch every year or two. That can certainly get old. As Kenny Rogers said, you got to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em. In your case, I don't blame you for having second thoughts, no matter how impressive the Evo is. Only you can decide what to do -- if the hassle of repeated cluth replacements is wearing on you, then sell the car and get into something different.

As far as unwanted attention from street racers goes, I highly recommend removing the wing and getting JDM tail lamps. I did that on my Evo and the difference on the street was night and day. I barely get any looks at all any more and that's also a good thing when law enforcement is involved. The cool thing is that people who really know cars, enthusiasts, will instantly know and respect that you have an Evo.

Good luck to you in whatever path you choose to take.
As much as the wing gets unwanted attention, I do agree with people that an evo is just not an evo without that damn wing. = ) It just looks...weird without one.

I can always call up my dealer and ask them what the hell is going on and if they would check the car out for me. They might. I suppose the worst they can do is say no, in which case I'll say see you later Mitsu.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I have had the same thoughts on one of your issues. I'm sick of the BS that comes with driving an Evo. There are way too many idiots that feel like they have to prove their car is faster than yours. Then I started looking at other car and I can't find a trade off I'm happy with. To go this fast in a luxury car costs $50,000 and the luxury cars I can afford are slow and everywhere.

I also realized that it pretty much doesn't matter what you drive if it is reasonably sporty idiots are going to screw with you. So, I might as well continue with the Evo.

As far as your clutch issues there is definitely something wrong there whether, it's driver issues or mechanical IDK.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea thats not normal man as I have 30k on mine and 440+ daily driven without any slippage....
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:45 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
At the risk of stating the obvious, not all cars are the right fit for all drivers. I love the Evo, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I know, because their priorities/preferences aren't the same as mine. If you feel like you'd be happier with something else, by all means go for it.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 07:31 AM

Try the alternative to passive driving. Put a new clutch in it and drive the pants off it. Launch it, engine braking, hit some autoxs, hit the drag strip, etc.

I'm still on my original clutch @ 27k. I drive it hard. All orignal parts. No mods....yet
Old Oct 11, 2006, 07:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by orion981
I agree about the clutch issue, but honestly, I've been driving clutches my entire life. I would love some pointers if I'm doing anything wrong. Maybe you guys can clue me in.

a.) I never engine brake (I either depress the clutch or put it in neutral when decellerating).

b.) I try NEVER to slip the clutch, although this seems unavoidable when you just start to move, although I've learned to give it the right amount of gas before pulling the clutch out so it will engage and get going. The thing about the Exedys is they'll moan when you do try to slip the clutch.

c.) I don't do launches...EVER.

d.) I've had all clutches installed at Pruven Performance, and I'm pretty confident in their knowledge and ability.

So, does anything stand out here that I'm doing wrong?
With all due respect, but if you've replaced a clutch once a year, there is a serious problem with your driving style. My car is pretty highly modified, and I've run some mid 11 second times with my car when it still had the stock turbo, and I drive the car every day. I have never had a clutch issue, in fact I have 40k on my car with the original clutch, its only starting to slip a little bit with my GT35r which is likely making quite a bit more power than it was before. I also have never had any tranny issues either.

I do hear the "I've been driving stick shift cars all my life" thing all the time.. And to be quite frank, most people who drive a stick, whether they have been doing it for a year or 20, don't really drive a stick correctly. Most of them always have their foot resting on the clutch pedal which will over time burn up the clutch pretty quickly. Most slip the clutch way too much when starting from a roll, and shifting, and almost EVERYONE I've seen does the "hill holding" with the clutch which is a HUGE no-no..

Plus this car is just a different animal. its an easy car to drive, but a bit unforgiving of gratuitous abuse.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 07:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lee_K
I have to agree and disagree with you.. I do agree there may be the possibility of a manufacturing defect on some cars, however its definitely not as widespread as the people claiming clutch issues. Almost **EVERYONE** who I have seen with a clutch issue, has at some point brought it on themselves. I know I'll get flamed for it, but I find it hard to believe that there is a clutch problem when I have 40k on my car, and its certainly seen a bit of abuse, and still have a stock clutch, even after its been pretty highly modified. I think the issue is more of driving style than anything..