Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tired of Evo -- Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tired of Evo -- Need Advice

Hey Guys,

Well, it looks as though my clutch is starting to slip...again. Which means I'll have to swap in a new one...again. This will be the third freaking time I've had to put in a new clutch, and frankly, I'm tired as hell of it. The stocker went after 12K miles. The first Exedy Hyper Single went in another 12K miles. The second exedy I put in has lasted much longer, though only two years and just under 30K miles. Keep in mind that I DO NOT launch my car or otherwise abuse the clutch. I have moderate mods on the car and am making around 280whp.

So, the bottom line is I'm tired of having to drop like 1-2K every damn year to put in a new clutch. I'm also tired of having every punk kid in a civic, SRT-4 or WRX trying to race me. I think it might be time for a different car. Don't get me wrong, I love the Evo and have thoroughly enjoyed my three years in it, but I think it might be time for a change. I have been looking at either the 350Z or the G34 Coupe,among other cars. I know I'd definitely miss the AWD and four doors of the Evo, though. What are your guys' thoughts? Should I really dump more money into the car, again? Should I just bite the bullet and ride out the three more years I have of payments, or should I get something new? Anyone been in a similar situation?

Thanks for your input,
James
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get an automatic

Look into the new IS Lexus.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Your clutch issue is not normal and sounds like a driver or installer issue.

There have been members on this board with over 50k on the stock clutch, it also depends on how many mods you have and how much wtq.

I think one easy way to get rid of ricer attention is going wingless and installing a quieter/stealthier exhaust.

If you can afford the change then why not, but one thing I have noticed is that some members like on evom.net sell their evo, they regret it and then buy another evo...
pao
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by orion981
...tired of having every punk kid in a civic, SRT-4 or WRX trying to race me
Yeah, it does get annoying.

Last edited by pao; Oct 10, 2006 at 10:02 PM.

get twin disk.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Id say learn how to drive stick if you are burning up clutches that fast.

If you dont want people to race you, buy something slow.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

I came from a 350z into the Evo (just picked her up today!), and the driving experience isn't even comparable between the two cars. Don't get me wrong, the Z is a great car, but the Z and the Evo serve very different purposes. You'll sacrifice the ***** out performance of the Evo for a little more baller status in the Z, and will probably get half as many people trying to race you. Plus, I don't think I ever heard of anybody having to religiously replace clutches (or really replace the clutch at all) in the Z. G35's the same car, just a little more plush and a little heavier. Plus, if you want to do any kind of system, last I knew replacing the radio was not an option. Either way you get a great car, but it just depends on what purpose you want it to serve.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:03 PM
pao
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jax419
S2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Hey not to be rude but wouldn't that put him right back to where he started?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Doogie Howser
I think one easy way to get rid of ricer attention is going wingless and installing a quieter/stealthier exhaust.
another evo...
thats rite, but for me wingless evo just dont look quite right. The one thing i do if they try to race me is giving them the "what the hell do u think u r doing face" to them and keep it cool. Usually the revved out their engine but not really going anywhere
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Dude you have an evo and you are talking about "biting the bullet"? Appreciate what you have and dont take a huge hit trading your whip or selling it. Go rent a Camry for a week that will make you love your evo again...
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:06 PM
pao
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by masurie2
thats rite, but for me wingless evo just dont look quite right. The one thing i do if they try to race me is giving them the "what the hell do u think u r doing face" to them and keep it cool. Usually the revved out their engine but not really going anywhere
Yup ignoring them does the trick well...or point and laugh hysterically
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Doogie Howser
Your clutch issue is not normal and sounds like a driver or installer issue.

There have been members on this board with over 50k on the stock clutch, it also depends on how many mods you have and how much wtq.

If you can afford the change then why not, but one thing I have noticed is that some members like on evom.net sell their evo, they regret it and then buy another evo...
I agree about the clutch issue, but honestly, I've been driving clutches my entire life. I would love some pointers if I'm doing anything wrong. Maybe you guys can clue me in.

a.) I never engine brake (I either depress the clutch or put it in neutral when decellerating).

b.) I try NEVER to slip the clutch, although this seems unavoidable when you just start to move, although I've learned to give it the right amount of gas before pulling the clutch out so it will engage and get going. The thing about the Exedys is they'll moan when you do try to slip the clutch.

c.) I don't do launches...EVER.

d.) I've had all clutches installed at Pruven Performance, and I'm pretty confident in their knowledge and ability.

So, does anything stand out here that I'm doing wrong?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by masurie2
get twin disk.
My Exedy twin-disc moans like a tortured donkey and the engagement point is a moving target. Are the carbon-carbon clutches any different?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

hmm strange your clutch does not last very long u must be doing something wrong