Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Which Mobil 1 oil should be used?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2003, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Mobil 1 oil should be used?

I'm about to get my first oil change pretty soon, and I'm wondering which Mobil 1 oil I should use. The Evo come with Mobil 1 10w-30, but I found on www.mobil1.com that the 10w-30 has Higher-Mileage Vehicle Formula, while the 5w-30 has Newer Vehicle Formula. Since my Evo is still pretty new, should I be using 5w-30 instead?
Also, how many quarts of oil do I need for the Evo oil change?

Thanks!
Old May 10, 2003, 03:50 PM

I'm about to get my first oil change pretty soon, and I'm wondering which Mobil 1 oil I should use. The Evo come with Mobil 1 10w-30
Well, if it came with Mobil 1 10W-30, then I would probably stick with that. It's a great oil. 5W-30 might be a little better for colder climates with hard winters, but since you are in L.A., stick with 10W-30.
Old May 10, 2003, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Which Mobil 1 oil should be used?

Originally posted by ReHeat
I'm about to get my first oil change pretty soon, and I'm wondering which Mobil 1 oil I should use. The Evo come with Mobil 1 10w-30, but I found on www.mobil1.com that the 10w-30 has Higher-Mileage Vehicle Formula, while the 5w-30 has Newer Vehicle Formula. Since my Evo is still pretty new, should I be using 5w-30 instead?

Thanks!
The owners manual recommends 10w-30 except in extreme cold.
Old May 10, 2003, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

I am going to use 15W-50. That's what I haved used in every car I have owned and definitely notice a difference. I live in the LA area and our summers can get a little hot (100-110).
Old May 10, 2003, 05:33 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Service Manual recommends the use of 10w-30 for temperature ranges between -10 and 120 degrees F.
20W-40 may be used for temperatures ranging from 32 to 120 degrees F. Here are the specifications concerning oil type:

caution

Do not use conventional petroleum based motor oil. Using conventional motor oil may cause engine or turbocharger damage.

Do not used "blends" of conventional oil and synthetic oil.

Specified Engine Oil: Fully synthetic engine oils displaying ILSAC GF-3 certification symbol ("Starburst" symbol) or conforming to the API classification SL or SL/CF

note: SAE 5W-30 fully synthetic engine oil can be used to improve engine start ability in very cold weather areas where the lowest atmospheric temperature is below -23°C (-10°F).
Old May 10, 2003, 05:52 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by sanjaya1
I am going to use 15W-50. That's what I haved used in every car I have owned and definitely notice a difference. I live in the LA area and our summers can get a little hot (100-110).
Here are some things to consider when choosing your viscosity range:

1)Multi viscosity oils work like this: Polymers are added to a light base (5W, 10W, 20W), which prevent the oil from thinning as much as it warms up. At cold temperatures the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.

2) Always use a multi grade with the narrowest span of viscosity that is appropriate for the temperatures you are going to encounter. The wide viscosity range oils, in general, are more prone to viscosity and thermal breakdown due to the high polymer content. It is the oil that lubricates, not the additives. Oils that can do their job with the fewest additives are the best.

3) Very few manufactures recommend 10W-40 any more, and some threaten to void warranties if it is used. 20W-50 is the same 30 point spread, but because it starts with a heavier base it requires less viscosity index improvers (polymers) to do the job. AMSOIL can formulate their 10W-30 and 15W-40 with no viscosity index improvers but uses some in the 10W-40 and 5W-30. Mobil 1 uses no viscosity improvers in their 5W-30, and I assume the new 10W-30. Follow your manufacturer's recommendations as to which weights are appropriate for your vehicle.

For more detailed information click on this link:http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html
Old May 10, 2003, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Which Mobil 1 oil should be used?

Originally posted by ReHeat

Thanks!
Quoting the owners manual it states 4.8 quarts. Also a third of a quart is in the oil filter so figure just over 5 quarts. I used the green cap Mobil 1 which is 10W-30.

I have also used Mobil 1 since new in the 1992 Galant VR-4. This baby has 176k miles and the last time the timing belt was changed The Wrench said that the inside of the engine looked new.

Ride on...

Flybyevo...
Old May 10, 2003, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

People... Oil is oil... Doesn't really matter what kind or the viscosity.. Until the really high miles start.. But as long as you change it on schedule, you won't have any problems... My father owns a repair shop, believe me, it really doesn't matter... It's all about how you service your car...