Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do you feel a stock evo 9 is overrated?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I understood your question/point the first time. Stock, the MR is about a 7 on my personal scale of performance cars ever owned here, with my Stage Two WRX being a 4-5, my old C5 Vette being an 8 and my Viper being a 10. It's all what you're used to. To someone who's only owned a beater Civic, the EVO must seem god-like in performance.

The stock EVO is what I'd call "very quick" - not really that fast, especially up top. I certainly did not buy it to drag race - it's simply the closest thing in feel and performance I've found to a Porsche 997. AND, it has a real back seat and costs less than 1/2 as much. If I had money to burn, I'd probably get the Porsche 4S, but then I'd worry every time I took it out in bad weather that someone would slam into a 100K car...

But, yeah, the EVO probably has an undeserved reputation for being straight-line fast, at least stock. They do great 0-80 or so, then kind of peter out, at least compared to anything with real power/torque.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
What other car for the money has the power AND handling of the Evo? Over-rated how? For the dollar, I got exactly what I deemed as fair and expected. I do not understand what would prompt your purchase if you felt the car was over-rated.
Agreed. TurboIX that started this thread is crazy.

He11, the IX is underrated! The VIII was rated 271hp and the IX rated at 286hp. That's a 15hp bump right. However, they are dynoing like 20-25whp higher... They'll dyno higher than a 300hp rated STi now!

Try to build from scratch like this and see how far you get - buying new parts from Japan and all. He11, the seats and rims are like $6k alone.

As far as all the comparions to V8's in straight-line power; that just sickens me. Evo's are made for the track, not the strip. I never get tired of lapping vettes, vipers, 911's, RS4's, M3's, and other cars that cost 3-4 times mine.

Last edited by boomn29; Oct 12, 2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally i dont feel the stock Evo IX is underated.... perse. Bang for the buck I think the IX is the best thing you will find on the USDM. The potential of the stock set up with a good tune can almost take out a viper for half the price on the strip.And out handle most top end sports car and some supercars on the road course. I dont think thats over rated. It is hyped up alot.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

yeah...i think people forget...the evo is not a drag racing car....it's a rally car...built for all around performance and handling in different conditions..maybe it would help if they showed rally racing on tv like they used to.....now kids only know the evo from the fast and furious movies
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Varrius
You guys are basing your opinions on being dyno queens and drag racers, typical Americans. Why not look at the car from what it was made to be. The car isn't an NHRA drag racer with 1000 whp. Infact the japanese don't even mod these cars for the 1320. Probably why we have the highest horsepower Evo(supposedly) and the fastest one in a straight line after only having two of the nine models ever produced. It goes to show how ignorant we are. If you want horsepower and drag racing power, please, go get a mustang. Don't go by a rally-bred AWD race car and expect it to be a drag monster. The fact alone that this vehicle was bred solely to take turns like no other and race in the dirt, yet is still killing people in the 1/4 mile is astonishing, though. The japanese people had no intentions for this car to be a drag-warrior. Maybe thats why we go through clutches and LSDs faster than any other country with the Lancer Evolution. Could it be that this ten year engineered bearer of the 4G63 was not intended to run in a straight line, nor put down huge numbers on a dyno!? Maybe thats why the clutches weren't engineered for fat americans to launch the crap out of them. I watched a video recently where an American tuned Evo with a god-foresaken amount of power attempted to take down a japanese bred evo with barely 400 whp. The japanese evo was bred for response. So, lo-and-behold the high-horsepower guy fell behind in the first few turns, probably because he had some huge turbo that was going in and out of the power band, and by the time it made its 800 something horsepower, the japanese driver had put three - four more seconds on him. I know you all will argue with me, now. You will tell me your opinions, etc. But I'm sorry, I will take the advice from the japanese people, who not only made this car, but have had it long before most of us knew what it was.

it's about time someone spoke the truth.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:43 AM
kev

Originally Posted by TurboIX
Idiot!...can you read?

I'm talking about a stock evo not a modded Evo...REAd it again...Stock Evo 9 is overrated.

And I like how you threw the blow at the RSX...like I give a **** lol.
Huh? Did you quote the wrong post? He's saying your mom bought your car for you
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TurboIX
Idiot!...can you read
I wish I was moderator 'cause I'd ban him and his IP address
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Varrius
You guys are basing your opinions on being dyno queens and drag racers, typical Americans. Why not look at the car from what it was made to be. The car isn't an NHRA drag racer with 1000 whp. Infact the japanese don't even mod these cars for the 1320. Probably why we have the highest horsepower Evo(supposedly) and the fastest one in a straight line after only having two of the nine models ever produced. It goes to show how ignorant we are. If you want horsepower and drag racing power, please, go get a mustang. Don't go by a rally-bred AWD race car and expect it to be a drag monster. The fact alone that this vehicle was bred solely to take turns like no other and race in the dirt, yet is still killing people in the 1/4 mile is astonishing, though. The japanese people had no intentions for this car to be a drag-warrior. Maybe thats why we go through clutches and LSDs faster than any other country with the Lancer Evolution. Could it be that this ten year engineered bearer of the 4G63 was not intended to run in a straight line, nor put down huge numbers on a dyno!? Maybe thats why the clutches weren't engineered for fat americans to launch the crap out of them. I watched a video recently where an American tuned Evo with a god-foresaken amount of power attempted to take down a japanese bred evo with barely 400 whp. The japanese evo was bred for response. So, lo-and-behold the high-horsepower guy fell behind in the first few turns, probably because he had some huge turbo that was going in and out of the power band, and by the time it made its 800 something horsepower, the japanese driver had put three - four more seconds on him. I know you all will argue with me, now. You will tell me your opinions, etc. But I'm sorry, I will take the advice from the japanese people, who not only made this car, but have had it long before most of us knew what it was.
Thank god other people feel the same as me. I am not trying to disrespect drag racing or anything but the Evo is way too advanced for such a simple activity. If you want turbo four cylinder AWD performance for the purposes of drag racing, BUY A DSM. They cost about 10 times less than Evo, have almost the same exact engine/drivetrain layout and have WAY more turbo's to choose from.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry I didnt mean to offend anyone. The real reason why I started this is because I had a talk with some guys up here Wednseday night and they seemed to over glorify the Evo. I came home with the idea that most people thought like them and i was a little bothered.

The Evo Deserves all the respect and hype it has. And I guess I cant blame the fan boys for over hyping a car they really admire.

Now that I think of it..I feel bad even starting this thread, considering I have a nice GG Mr sitting outside...I love the car and what it brings to the table.. And it's true they are very mod friendly.

Just dont come up to me talking about a car I own and give me complete and utter Bull expecting me to become a fanboy...I'm not a fan boy for none of my cars..They are what they and that's IT.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Cool, man. Glad to see you're listening to reason.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Not Overrated.. I have an 8 and I love it but I would love to have mivec among the several other things upgraded.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

the only thing i can say is over rated about it is the options, your paying upwards to $35k basically for the engine drivetrain and all wheel drive.

Its a car truely ment for someone that just wants to pay a lot for a ***** out car knowing that they will go down in value in no time

but when your paying so much money and you go "ooooo they put a sunglasses holder in this models year" something just doesnt sit right with me

the main thing that really bothers me and why i never decided to get an evo was mainly the interior, your paying 40 grand after taxes only to have the same interior as a base lancer? youd think theyd use better materials or have something like a nav system like some of the JDM cars have

and im not saying this because i own a BMW, but id rather have an M3 then an evo9
Old Oct 12, 2006, 02:29 PM

overrated huh? If you can find a car that cost 30k and will do the same as the ix stock besides the sti please tell me because i have not seen one. this car is ridiculous i think its crazy to say any otherwise. just my 2 cents
Old Oct 12, 2006, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the evo is a raw performance car so personally i dont care about the lack luster interior.... I like the race inspired seating and gauge arrangement but the rest of the **** in there i dont care about... If it wasnt my daily driver i wouldnt have any interior period...
Old Oct 12, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

so did your mom take the car back?

jk

Quick Reply: Do you feel a stock evo 9 is overrated?