Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do you feel a stock evo 9 is overrated?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
I agree with you to some extent.

You very right about how most of these american EVO owners want a gt30 blah blah turbo and to do a 10 in the 1/4.

I would never concentrat on drag racing, but I do it and like it. I love taking my car to any motorsport event, weather it be drag racing, road racing, auto X and the touge. I understand what these cars were made for (and its not strait lines), but it doesnt mean you cant run some 1/4 miles every now and then.

Basically what I'm saying is I would never put a part on my car with the hope of just running faster in the 1/4. Its all about bulding a well rounded car that can kick *** on the road couse, have fun on the touge and beat a lot of imports at the 1/4 (maybe not the american EVO guy with a GT35 and 500 billion HP).

Thats the difference between Japanesse and American tuners.

Japaness tuners know a car has to be well-rounded and not just excel at drag racing.
i somewhat agree with you too. but it's not about japanese or american. it's just the way american roads are vs japanese roads. we have more open road and thus we come across street tuners and want to run on the freeway, so high HP matters to most. though in japan they do have open roads too, but they mostly meet (tuned cars) on the tight roads or what not, and thus cornering is valuable. it's also interchangable, but it's more about how the individual wants to tune the car... high HP cars always want to run on the freeway and they usually will take me. i'm mildly built, but that doesn't mean i won't smoke em on the track... the roads here prefer high HP cars, but that doesn't mean you have to build that way!

we could go on for days....

Last edited by ernald711; Oct 12, 2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Do you think age has anything to do with how people view the EVO? I'm 30 and think the car is just right, at first when it was new to USA there was a lot of hype and now after 4 years I think that it is not over rated or under rated.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Buying an Evo to go drag racing with is pointless. Why spend all the money to drag race an Evo when you could of built a DSM or mustang for $10,000 to run 9's all day long? You have missed our point. The Evo is what it is because of its handling, not its straightline acceleration capabilities. If you want to go fast and straight, buy an older car to modify. You will go much faster for a much smaller amount of money. However, there is nothing wrong with taking the Evo to the dragstrip every once in a while to test performance, but to me its pretty mind numbing to see a dedicated Evo drag car...

Preach on Ray.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Varrius
You guys are basing your opinions on being dyno queens and drag racers, typical Americans. Why not look at the car from what it was made to be. The car isn't an NHRA drag racer with 1000 whp. Infact the japanese don't even mod these cars for the 1320. Probably why we have the highest horsepower Evo(supposedly) and the fastest one in a straight line after only having two of the nine models ever produced. It goes to show how ignorant we are. If you want horsepower and drag racing power, please, go get a mustang. Don't go by a rally-bred AWD race car and expect it to be a drag monster. The fact alone that this vehicle was bred solely to take turns like no other and race in the dirt, yet is still killing people in the 1/4 mile is astonishing, though. The japanese people had no intentions for this car to be a drag-warrior. Maybe thats why we go through clutches and LSDs faster than any other country with the Lancer Evolution. Could it be that this ten year engineered bearer of the 4G63 was not intended to run in a straight line, nor put down huge numbers on a dyno!? Maybe thats why the clutches weren't engineered for fat americans to launch the crap out of them. I watched a video recently where an American tuned Evo with a god-foresaken amount of power attempted to take down a japanese bred evo with barely 400 whp. The japanese evo was bred for response. So, lo-and-behold the high-horsepower guy fell behind in the first few turns, probably because he had some huge turbo that was going in and out of the power band, and by the time it made its 800 something horsepower, the japanese driver had put three - four more seconds on him. I know you all will argue with me, now. You will tell me your opinions, etc. But I'm sorry, I will take the advice from the japanese people, who not only made this car, but have had it long before most of us knew what it was.
except they can be drag cars and mustangs are POS
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fools... how many cars under 100k do a 1/4 mile in the 12's stock... now that you cant think of enough cars to take up all 10 of ur fingers. name one other car under 30k that can do that.. or hell lets bump it up to 50... hmm... i guess a vette can...but i never see it at the track or read about it... no traction... how about a cobra... okay so 2 cars under 50k that can do 12's stock....

any questions?
Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Actually the Evo IX is under-rated as far as horsepower is concerned. They claim 286 and IX's regularly make over 250-255whp stock. I don't know about you but I feel like I got my money's worth-car feel's plenty fast for how much it weighs.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:01 PM

Absolutely not overrated for what iit's intended. For what it is, it's incredible.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nope, not overated at all. Best bang for the buck going. Oh, yeah, this thread is a bit silly. So I excuse myself.....
Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:14 PM

Overrated......no.

The 1/4 mile is overrated. I went when my car was freshly broken in and ran a 13.3. That was my first time ever on a 1/4 mile track and as far as I'm concerned it can be the last. Remind you that this is strictly my own opinion. I have 1 friend with a '01 GT Mustang with all the bolt-ons and I have another friend with a 530 RWHP '98 Supra. I love to go to the track and watch them blast through gears. I can get them both in my car comfortably and take a turn at ungodly speeds and make them giggle like kids. My car is soon not to be stock and will continue to pull away from 95% of street cars when going through the turns. OVERRATED.....no. This car is what it is and if you want to run this car down the 1/4 mile 10 times a weekend then you bought the wrong car. AWD=handling, not top speed, not amazing pass times. AMS does have a sick A** drag car though. To be able to spin all four wheels before a pull is a sight everyone should see.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by al dopa
Nope, not overated at all. Best bang for the buck going. Oh, yeah, this thread is a bit silly. So I excuse myself.....
+1...........this thread is overrated
Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

I'm still wondering why people drag race these cars

As a matter of fact I wonder why people drag race Type-R's also.......crazy hicks

But I guess thats what we get for being in the country where people try and stuff the biggest displacement motor into the heaviest chassis and see how fast it goes....hahaha
Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TruBluIX
The 1/4 mile is overrated. I went when my car was freshly broken in and ran a 13.3. That was my first time ever on a 1/4 mile track and as far as I'm concerned it can be the last. Remind you that this is strictly my own opinion. I have 1 friend with a '01 GT Mustang with all the bolt-ons and I have another friend with a 530 RWHP '98 Supra. I love to go to the track and watch them blast through gears. I can get them both in my car comfortably and take a turn at ungodly speeds and make them giggle like kids. My car is soon not to be stock and will continue to pull away from 95% of street cars when going through the turns. OVERRATED.....no. This car is what it is and if you want to run this car down the 1/4 mile 10 times a weekend then you bought the wrong car. AWD=handling, not top speed, not amazing pass times. AMS does have a sick A** drag car though. To be able to spin all four wheels before a pull is a sight everyone should see.

well time to start drinking buddy... i have basic stuff and i can spin my tires and i have 255's falken 615's

time to start burning rubber not clutch... buy some parts!!
Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Who cares about what it does stock....everyone modifies them....all I know is that Buschur and AMS spent like 100K on their cars to run 8's and 9's when people in civic hatchbacks with a turbo d-series can run 9's with full interior. Not to mention the ALL MOTOR ones that run 8's.......there are tons of cars that can run 10's for under 12K if you look into used cars....and they would be more reliable as well for drag racing.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the evo, but drag racing it seems sort of counter productive.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
fools... how many cars under 100k do a 1/4 mile in the 12's stock... now that you cant think of enough cars to take up all 10 of ur fingers. name one other car under 30k that can do that.. or hell lets bump it up to 50... hmm... i guess a vette can...but i never see it at the track or read about it... no traction... how about a cobra... okay so 2 cars under 50k that can do 12's stock....

any questions?
lol. you sound like some comic archvillain.

2001 Acura NSX V6 4.5 12.9
2003 Audi RS6 4.3 12.63
2002 BMW Z8 4.5 12.8
1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 4.4 12.8
2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 4.1 12.5
2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 4.2 12.5
1997 Dodge Viper GTS 4.0 12.2
1998 Dodge Viper GTS 4.1 12.2
1998 Dodge Viper RT/10 4.1 12.3
2001 Dodge Viper GTS ACR 4.3 12.6
2003 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT 4.5 12.9
2004 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT 4.5 12.9
1991 Jaguar XJR-15 4.5 12.6
1998 Lotus Esprit V8 Turbo 4.4 12.8
2003 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG 4.2 12.39
1994 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.6 4.5 12.9
1991 Porsche Turbo 4.6 12.9
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.9 12.3

some cars that can fill up those fingers, but yeah he's definitly right about the under 50k and 30k. i agree!
Old Oct 12, 2006, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

The Evolution is not overated...and this is coming from a guy with with a RWD "drag strip" car. To be honest with everybody, the reason why I am getting a Evo IX is because its ability to perform under bad conditions, be able to have some power if you need to "get on it," having 4 doors will be nice, as well as a trunk(If you have seen a Fbody trunk you will understand). Having a car that I can depend on for a big part of my life is the car that I am going to buy and that car will be a Evolution IX!

Want to know the real meaning of horse power...

Horsepower is what sells a car. Just like the Evo vs. Lambo video on top gear...the price difference is amazing and yet the Evolution is right behind it before the Lambo spins out of control. Just shows you horsepower and money isnt everything! Just my .02 cents.

Quick Reply: Do you feel a stock evo 9 is overrated?