Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do you feel a stock evo 9 is overrated?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you feel a stock evo 9 is overrated?

First of all let me say this. I never thought the Evo was a world beater, I just loved the car for a what it was and the potential it had. But I think people overrate them in stock form a little to much. Not saying everyone but some do.

When people ask me..." wow how does 300hp feel" I tell them it feels like 230whp". It's decent but by no means the world beater some people make it out to be. I feel the same way about a Sti. Another example would be the Srt-10 Truck...WOW that isnt even fast

Dont get me wrong I know that a slightly modded Evo 9 can be a beast and maybe that's why people hype them up. Maybe rightfully so.

Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

yes very overrated, and this has nothing to do with me owning a 2005.

sarcasm is not very apparent over the internet TurboIX

Last edited by CAD EVO; Oct 12, 2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Also I would like to note:

I dont have any experience with the Evo 8 but I've seen some go..And maybe that's even more overrated lol.

No offense.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

I just think the performance that people are getting for the price makes for the overrating... But Im not one that feels this way, I enjoy driving this car slow just as much as i enjoy getting on it. I couldnt be any happier.

Last edited by Bigl4201; Oct 12, 2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

No. If anything, it's undervalued.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:57 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

No, I don't think its overrated. I think STi's and RSX's are overrated though.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rnm
No, I don't think its overrated. I think STi's and RSX's are overrated though.
A stock RSX is total Crap performance wise. But again they cant be overrated if everyone knows this lol. Once you go Fi they are nice little motors though. Again for what they are atleast.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

What other car for the money has the power AND handling of the Evo? Over-rated how? For the dollar, I got exactly what I deemed as fair and expected. I do not understand what would prompt your purchase if you felt the car was over-rated.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

You guys are basing your opinions on being dyno queens and drag racers, typical Americans. Why not look at the car from what it was made to be. The car isn't an NHRA drag racer with 1000 whp. Infact the japanese don't even mod these cars for the 1320. Probably why we have the highest horsepower Evo(supposedly) and the fastest one in a straight line after only having two of the nine models ever produced. It goes to show how ignorant we are. If you want horsepower and drag racing power, please, go get a mustang. Don't go by a rally-bred AWD race car and expect it to be a drag monster. The fact alone that this vehicle was bred solely to take turns like no other and race in the dirt, yet is still killing people in the 1/4 mile is astonishing, though. The japanese people had no intentions for this car to be a drag-warrior. Maybe thats why we go through clutches and LSDs faster than any other country with the Lancer Evolution. Could it be that this ten year engineered bearer of the 4G63 was not intended to run in a straight line, nor put down huge numbers on a dyno!? Maybe thats why the clutches weren't engineered for fat americans to launch the crap out of them. I watched a video recently where an American tuned Evo with a god-foresaken amount of power attempted to take down a japanese bred evo with barely 400 whp. The japanese evo was bred for response. So, lo-and-behold the high-horsepower guy fell behind in the first few turns, probably because he had some huge turbo that was going in and out of the power band, and by the time it made its 800 something horsepower, the japanese driver had put three - four more seconds on him. I know you all will argue with me, now. You will tell me your opinions, etc. But I'm sorry, I will take the advice from the japanese people, who not only made this car, but have had it long before most of us knew what it was.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ I concur.
Rnm
Evolved Member

If you think its overrated, give it back to its rightful owner: your mom.
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
What other car for the money has the power AND handling of the Evo? Over-rated how? For the dollar, I got exactly what I deemed as fair and expected. I do not understand what would prompt your purchase if you felt the car was over-rated.
I got one because I love the car. But again I drive the car I know what it did stock..And what some people make it out to be " STOCK" ( key word) is overkill in the hype department.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Honestly why did you make this post? To get a rise out of fellow evo owners? This thread should be moved to the subie forums

i don't think it is overrated.
first of all, if you can tell us what is underrated on the current market, anything?
to be honest, i have heard most said the Evo is really underrated, based on its bhp.
if you compare evo to most of its competitions, it is still underrated by mean.
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rnm
If you think its overrated, give it back to its rightful owner: your mom.
Idiot!...can you read?

I'm talking about a stock evo not a modded Evo...REAd it again...Stock Evo 9 is overrated.

And I like how you threw the blow at the RSX...like I give a **** lol.

Quick Reply: Do you feel a stock evo 9 is overrated?