Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo vs Cobra again - time slip analysis

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2003, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Scot

I used just an average driver's #'s from the cobra forum.
But those numbers are not "average"

Those numbers are "awful"

I'd say 12.8's are average.
Old May 11, 2003, 03:42 PM

Pick up Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords every once in awhile. There were a couple intakes on the CAI for the '03 Cobras that made 20 rwhp or more in last month's issue I believe.
actual people said that is how much they made with nothing more than an intake? this is RWhp mind you...

or is this what the manafacturers said. aka " we garuntee our new super dooper intake of the 03 cobra will give you atleast 20 rwhp"

i dunno, the only way i see this being possible is with a modded car. if the car has a chip, pulley, exhaust.....then the air intake might add that much. but thats because it is straining for air with the extra power.

if its just a regular 03 cobra and it gets 20 rwhp from an intake...it has a VERY restricted OEM intake setup. i doubt the stock unit is that poorly designed. just my .02
Old May 11, 2003, 03:53 PM

OK, that Cobra's timeslip is fugged up badly. He turned a 1.8xx 60' (which is good) only to hit the traps doing 13.99 seconds at 100 mph???? One of three things happened here:

1. It was not a 2003 Cobra, but a 2002 (or earlier)
2. The Cobra driver missed his 2-3 shift
3. The Cobra driver got out of the gas in the last half of the track

I'd bet money that option #2 was the case.

Has anybody even CONFIRMED that this was a 2003 Cobra (i.e. supercharged with 390 hp/tq), because Scot (the original poster) never mentioned this in his post at all. He just said "a Cobra". Is everybody just assuming this was a new 2003 Cobra?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Evo. His 60', 1/8 mile, and 1/4 mile times are very impressive, especially stock (wow!). And I believe that he could have beaten the Cobra (even a 2003) in the 60' and maybe 1/8 mile. But the Cobra's 1/4 mile time and trap speed are pathetic, even with a crappy driver. Trap speed is the best indicator of a car's potential E.T., even after you bog or spin the launch, and I KNOW the new 2003 Cobras will turn 108+ trap speeds if the driver stays in the gas and doesn't miss a shift.
Old May 11, 2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by hocy4life

actual people said that is how much they made with nothing more than an intake? this is RWhp mind you...

or is this what the manafacturers said. aka " we garuntee our new super dooper intake of the 03 cobra will give you atleast 20 rwhp"

i dunno, the only way i see this being possible is with a modded car. if the car has a chip, pulley, exhaust.....then the air intake might add that much. but thats because it is straining for air with the extra power.

if its just a regular 03 cobra and it gets 20 rwhp from an intake...it has a VERY restricted OEM intake setup. i doubt the stock unit is that poorly designed. just my .02

I've personally seen 20+whp gains from a Cold Air Induction System on the '03 Cobra.
Old May 11, 2003, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

The 03' Cobra is alot faster than you all think. Most people that have them can't drive them for ****. Like me. So far, I've ran my 03' to a 8.504 @ 88 mph with a 2.3 60 ft. Traction ownes me.

This whole I'll get you in the twisties is so lame. Just sounds like a ricer statement to me. I agree that the EVO is superior when it comes to handling, but for what the 03' Cobra is, SVT did a damn good job to make this old chasis handle like it does.

I've always liked the EVO before they came here. To be honest, after I close on my house in two weeks I should be trading my 03' in for a silver or red EVO.

Oh, and about the 20 whp with a intake. It can happen. I've seen 03's gain up to 25 whp with a Densacharger CAI. These cars respond to mods like you wouldn't believe.
Old May 11, 2003, 10:50 PM

if you have truely seen it...then all i have to say is wow. cause that is A LOT of power to be gained. especially by something as small as an intake. i am definitly interested to see some dyno chart comparo's with the two..

wow, cobras are sick!
Old May 11, 2003, 11:23 PM

if you have truely seen it...then all i have to say is wow. cause that is A LOT of power to be gained. especially by something as small as an intake. i am definitly interested to see some dyno chart comparo's with the two..

wow, cobras are sick!
I wish I could find some dyno charts.

After a quick search on SVTperformance.com

http://svtperformance.com/forums/sho...highlight=dyno
Old May 12, 2003, 01:03 AM

On Laguna Sega the 03 Cobra will get owned by the EVO, is a serious way. Straight away speed makes very little difference. The faster you go, say 10 mph faster on the straight, you must start braking sooner to make the apex of the next corner, so a 1000 foot straight only gets say 700 foot of open throttle. The entry speed of the EVO can be a little higher due to its active braking system. Latteral G's are much greater, and then the exit speed will again be much greater. The 03 Cobra pulls 9mph on the EVO in a standing 1mile run, that lasts 30+ seconds. On SECA you won't run full throttle for more that 10 seconds on the front straight.
The EVO comes with near race tires stock, and the Cobra doesn't. I think it would do much better with some better rolling stock and a couple suspension mods, latteral G's will go up alot. In a straight line.......Cobra should be .5+ seconds faster on average in the 1/4.

Just my opinion
Old May 12, 2003, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

wow, cobras are sick!

Its not uncommon for an intake to make 10 wheel hp on a turbocharged 4-banger. In terms of percentages it is not only possible, it is likely that a CAI on a V8 with forced induction would make 20 whp since it has more than twice the displacement.
Old May 12, 2003, 02:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Reilly
On Laguna Sega the 03 Cobra will get owned by the EVO, is a serious way. Straight away speed makes very little difference. The faster you go, say 10 mph faster on the straight, you must start braking sooner to make the apex of the next corner, so a 1000 foot straight only gets say 700 foot of open throttle. The entry speed of the EVO can be a little higher due to its active braking system. Latteral G's are much greater, and then the exit speed will again be much greater. The 03 Cobra pulls 9mph on the EVO in a standing 1mile run, that lasts 30+ seconds. On SECA you won't run full throttle for more that 10 seconds on the front straight.

Just my opinion
This is basically what I was saying with my bike analogy ( Honda RC vs Ducatti ), but I think you have spelled out in better detail. Maybe Ryan will get it now .But then again I bet he won't
Old May 12, 2003, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by zx6r

This is basically what I was saying with my bike analogy ( Honda RC vs Ducatti ), but I think you have spelled out in better detail. Maybe Ryan will get it now .But then again I bet he won't
You're right, because we just argued about an hour on the phone. Because Reilly is my best friend.
Old May 12, 2003, 02:40 AM

Old May 12, 2003, 02:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Ryan Autry

You're right, because we just argued about an hour on the phone. Because Reilly is my best friend.
Hey Ryan, that's cool. And have a on me But I think it would still be nice to see the two compete
Old May 12, 2003, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by zx6r

Hey Ryan, that's cool. And have a on me But I think it would still be nice to see the two compete
I agree.

Personally, i'd take an EVO over and '03 Cobra in a heartbeat.

Anything is better then my FWD POS.
Old May 12, 2003, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Martyr - the cobra is not on the slips...... that is my Evo on my second run...where I misshifted.... my evo is LU330 (was supposed to be CU330, but they miswrote it).... anyway... I grabbed an average guys 2003 cobra time that was posted on his signature from the svtperformance.com board..... he said that was his best run with an aftermarket intake and shifter.....

Most magazines run 12.8-13.4 (including sport compact car not being able to get under 13.4 even with that Cameron guy driving from Hot Rod (or whatever magazine))........

I think it was something like my 13.4 to his 13.2 (cobra), but his is slightly modded and my evo is dead stock.

I was simply stating that the Evo should be ahead of a cobra in a dragrace for almost a full 1000 feet of the 1320.... at which point the evo should shut down (now going close to 90mph and that is fast enough for a street race)..... adding to that the evo doesn't need to spin like mad like my cobra does off the line.

from a roll the cobra wins from any speed.

Originally posted by Martyr
OK, that Cobra's timeslip is fugged up badly. He turned a 1.8xx 60' (which is good) only to hit the traps doing 13.99 seconds at 100 mph???? One of three things happened here:

1. It was not a 2003 Cobra, but a 2002 (or earlier)
2. The Cobra driver missed his 2-3 shift
3. The Cobra driver got out of the gas in the last half of the track

I'd bet money that option #2 was the case.

Has anybody even CONFIRMED that this was a 2003 Cobra (i.e. supercharged with 390 hp/tq), because Scot (the original poster) never mentioned this in his post at all. He just said "a Cobra". Is everybody just assuming this was a new 2003 Cobra?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Evo. His 60', 1/8 mile, and 1/4 mile times are very impressive, especially stock (wow!). And I believe that he could have beaten the Cobra (even a 2003) in the 60' and maybe 1/8 mile. But the Cobra's 1/4 mile time and trap speed are pathetic, even with a crappy driver. Trap speed is the best indicator of a car's potential E.T., even after you bog or spin the launch, and I KNOW the new 2003 Cobras will turn 108+ trap speeds if the driver stays in the gas and doesn't miss a shift.

Quick Reply: Evo vs Cobra again - time slip analysis