Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo vs Cobra again - time slip analysis

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2003, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corey,
The Talon runs denatured alcohol injection, it helps raise the octane rating of pump gas. It still uses gasoline. The fact remains that a modded 2.0 litre pulls on a modded 4.6 litre from a roll and a stop w/ or w/o drag slicks. I'm glad you're getting an Evo because high-horsepower and only 2wd sucks.
Old May 16, 2003, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think it sucks. I honestly don't have any traction problems besides the track. I've never ran someone form a light though. Mostly highway runs. High HP and rwd is awesome when set up right and gets traction IMO.

My point about the Talon was it obviously has alot more mods than the Cobra does. Does that Talon run 30psi on pump gas? My buddy had a auto TT Supra and ran a 8.1 @ 93mph running race gas and 22 psi on stock twins. The next time he went out on pump gas and ran like a 8.9 or something. Race gas does wondering for turbo cars.

My buddy mentioned earlier has tried everything with his Cobra to get more HP out of it. He put some race gas in it and it did absoloutley nothong to it.

I'll be happier witht the EVO. Like I said before, I don't care if I'm downgrading to a slower car. I just want something more driver oriented.
Old May 16, 2003, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Corey

ShapeGSX, you sig says you ran a 8.0 @ 88mph? I ran a 8.504 @ 88 mph with a 2.3 60 ft. Traction owns me. Put some DR's on this ***** and I'll be knocking on 7's stock. I won't have it that long hopefully.
Actually, traction owns me, too. I raced on Wendesday night. I pulled several runs in the 111mph range. But I couldn't hook to save my life. They don't use VHT on street nights at the track.

My best pass of the night was a 12.562@111.51mph with a 1.789 60-ft. That got me my best 1/8th mph ever of 8.127@91.02mph. But that 1.789 60-ft was horrible. But I figured out the right settings to launch my car with, suspension wise. So it should run better next time.

I installed some HKS 264 cams, and man did they wake up my car! Evo owners, you can get these things, too. And they will really increase your top end a TON. In fact, a 262 intake/272 exhaust might be best for the Evo.

I know that the top end doesn't show up in my times from Wed compared to the time in my sig, but I was tuned much more conservatively than I am normally.
Old May 16, 2003, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Hey,

I ran a 12.441 @ 115.X mph with my 2003 Cobra... i did do a small burnout and had my rear tires at 26psi..... It had a computer "flash" (similar to a chip), x-pipe with cats, and exhaust.... Not bad time for the amount of mods.

I think my 60' time was 2.0X.

Originally posted by ShapeGSX

My best pass of the night was a 12.562@111.51mph with a 1.789
Old May 16, 2003, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Corey,

Define a lot more mods. The Cobra has four more cylinders, more boost, and all the other supporting mods. The talon has a lot of ground to make-up from the beginning. Also, most V8s hate doing highway racing because the gears are made for low-end torque and not 150 mph+ runs. Why haven't you raced anyone from a stop? Traction will always be a problem, and if you aren't hooking at the track, you won't be hooking on the street. 2WD is lighter and that usually helps on the top end, but you sacrifice everything from a stop. You aren't downgrading to a slower car, you're getting a car with limitless potential for speed.
Old May 16, 2003, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I went today and got a price on what the dealer will giv me for my Cobra. The price was right, so I should be driving me a red or white EVO in at least two weeks or sooner. Depending when we close on the house.

Define alot more mods? Hmmmm, let's see.....intake, headers, x pipe, exhaust, chip, blower pully, crank pulley, gears, and umm.....oh yeah, big Kenny Belle blower on top as well. That is more of a definition of a heavy modded Cobra to me.

I never ran no one from a stop because I never had the chance. I'm sure I'll have some traction issues. I was basically saying my car doesn't break loose all that often. Guess you have to get used to it or something or maybe I'm just not doing something. My car hooks good on the street.

I have no problem runnning no one on the highway. I'm up for it anytime, but then again I'm not your usual domastic guy either.
Old May 16, 2003, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

How was the Evo launched in those runs? What revs, and was the clutch dropped or slipped?
Old May 16, 2003, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Corey
Well, I went today and got a price on what the dealer will giv me for my Cobra. The price was right, so I should be driving me a red or white EVO in at least two weeks or sooner. Depending when we close on the house.

Define alot more mods? Hmmmm, let's see.....intake, headers, x pipe, exhaust, chip, blower pully, crank pulley, gears, and umm.....oh yeah, big Kenny Belle blower on top as well. That is more of a definition of a heavy modded Cobra to me.

I never ran no one from a stop because I never had the chance. I'm sure I'll have some traction issues. I was basically saying my car doesn't break loose all that often. Guess you have to get used to it or something or maybe I'm just not doing something. My car hooks good on the street.

I have no problem runnning no one on the highway. I'm up for it anytime, but then again I'm not your usual domastic guy either.
I think you're thinking because you don't get much tire spin you're hooking up well. There's more to it than that. Launching from a stop with maximum velocity and minimal tire spin is the key. You said you got a 2.0 60'. Not bad for a RWD car but crap for an AWD car. If you're not launching at 1.8 and lower then your losing precious time. The best RWD launchers I knew when I owned my Supra all got 1.7 or 1.8 out of their Supras. With over 400 whp and torque that's hard to do on streets or drag radials. I could never hook up that well in my Supra. I would spin through 3rd at times. I needed slicks to launch good. The same goes for street racing. Only it's worse on the streets.

You're not going to get any arguments on freeway racing. Simply put you have a V8 and the Evo is a 4 banger 2 completely different beasts. Without serious mods the Evo or any 4 cyl. won't keep up on the freeway. If I still had my Supra that would be another story. Freeway racer king. It's scary breaking the tires loose at 120mph
Old May 17, 2003, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

I said I got a 2.3 60ft. on street tires when I ran a 8.504 @ 88 mph.

LOL, funny you mention about freeway racing in a Supra. My buddy just bought a red 94 TT from Orlando. It has down pipe, front mount, TRD exhaust, boost controller, and some other stuff. He wanted to try me (because I beat him in his last one) with his new one tonight. He said he was running 17psi. We ran from a 2nd gear 60 mph roll and I got him everytime til a little over 120 mph and then he started catching me pretty good. His car has hella top end. When we got out he said "I was catching you" and I looked at him and smiled and said "yeah, but it took you til over 120 to do it." It was good times though. We ran several times and it was the same everytime. I told him to remember that I was still stock.

Just that little fun made me almost want to keep the Cobra. You know, just to have a friendly rival thing going on, but it won't happen. I'm too stuck on the EVO.
Old May 17, 2003, 07:23 PM

I won't have it that long hopefully.

You poor, poor fool.

JK
Old May 18, 2003, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

You have to understand why I'm getting rid of it. My Cobra is being dropped off at the dealer for it's 7th time on Monday at 7AM. The thing smokes like a freaking freight train (supposively noraml) on start up, sounds like a pulley has gone bad, steering makes some creaking noise, and to top it off Ford service sucks major cack. I can't believe how stupid and shady these dealers are. Had two damages rims form the factory and they got swapped out with a 03' Cobra that was a demo that had 8,000 miles on it. Mine had less than 500 miles and only had it a week. The only reason I found this out was I noticed my front left tire was going in the wrong direction. I honestly can say I like the car, but if I have to deal with these dumb ****s everytime I need service I'll take my business else where.

"Ford Service"

Tonight I was sitting at a gas station and was talking for about 30 minutes or so and when I started it up it practically filled the gas station with smoke. I looked at the other Cobra owner and asked, "now do you think that is normal?" He said, "no."

Now if I get this EVO and I have problem s with it. I will get rid of it as well and buy a freaking truck and be done with the whole "car scene" for good.
Old May 18, 2003, 03:15 AM
Evolved Member

Cobra
Evolution
Old May 18, 2003, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

Cory, I totally feel ya man. There's definitely things to love about the muscle car domestics. I used to own an older Vette. Loved the car but had it in the shop every week. A friend of mine had a 2000 Saleen with blower and all. He sold it shortly after because it was in the shop for a month because of an issue with the ECU. Not to mention the many other things. He got a Z06 after that. The car had 3 recalls so he sold that as well. I've had zero problems with my Evo. The noises are expected so don't be alarmed with those. Everything seems great so far with the Evo. The only car I've ever owned for some length that was bullet proof with no problems. AND great customer service was my Supra. It's still the best car I've ever owned. I won't know for awhile about the Evo. The Supra was amazing. The service was amazing. My 02' Prowler saw the shop many times as well and dodge/chrysler customer service blows. I dunno what's with american companies. I hope the Evo serves you well.

Old May 18, 2003, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

The bad thing is I work for Ford Mo. Co. I work in the production department and build the F-250, 350, 450, 550, and the Excursion. I don't feel like I should get treated better than anyone else, but damn, some good service to everyone shlould be the first thing.

I'm not worried about noises. My Cobra has some interior noise every once in a while and by the time I had put the Apexi N-1 Dampers on my ITR it had some noises to from the interior as well. It just comes from the firm ride and great handling. You have to sacifice something. I'll just turn up the radio.

I'm turning 28 in Sept. and getting married in Oct. so I figure I'm gonna need something a bit more practical anyways. Plus, if all goes well with this house, I'll be moving a bit further form work and I'm not really wanting to drive a RWD 400 HP car all year round.