Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo vs Cobra again - time slip analysis

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2003, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo vs Cobra again - time slip analysis

(i did post this on the SVT board to show them the proof of the evo being ahead for the better part of the ¼ mile.....)

Time slip for evo posted below on left is mine from my car....

1/8 mile time = 8.539 @ 80.41 MPH for the Evo with me driving it.
1/8 mile time = 8.648 @ 85.08 MPH for FearBlueR1 and that is even with an intake and shifter.

1000 Ft = 11.205 (my totally stock evo with 600 miles on it at the time)
1000 Ft = 11.18 (cobra w/ air intake and shifter upgrade)

So from 0 ft-660 ft(1/8 of a mile) the Evo is in the lead...and at 1000 feet the cobra has taken a slim lead but I picked a guy who has an intake.....that is worth 20rwhp according to the magazines....plus shifter upgrade.

a normal street race would be in the range of 1000ft (or 85-90mph)......all of these #'s are quoted from the sticky dragstrip also, not the slippery real streets.....

Just pissing around.....it does pretty much show that the evo will win for a long time on the street...especially since the track is sticky and the streets are not.

Details to the analysis...------------------------------------------------->

screenname fearbluer1 has this in his signature on the SVTPerformance.com board.

Best time as of 4/13/03
Stock w/Amazon Air Filter & shifter & F1's
2.154 60ft
5.747 330ft
8.119 594ft
8.648 1/8 ET
85.08 1/8 MPH
11.117 1000ft

13.207 1/4 ET
108.13 MPH

Old May 10, 2003, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Ford's supercar is just a square box that goes straight.. But can't even do that right, in most occasions... :
Old May 10, 2003, 10:43 PM

i'm sure he wasn't the best driver...those things run high 12's STOCK.

20 rwhp from an intake....hahahaha, comedy.
Old May 10, 2003, 10:59 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Great, so you picked someone wh doesn't know how to drive... Try this thread: http://www.fordpower.net/forums/show...threadid=41965
It's a bone stock '03 that ran at HRP here in houston. That's 12.8 on a 2.0 60'... No 1/8 mile time for you I'm afraid.

Plus, I highly doubt that he has an intake because it is below the supercharger and I don't know anyone who actually makes one for the '03. It is possiblt he has an induction kit though.
Old May 10, 2003, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

who cares... try a road course and see what happens...
Old May 11, 2003, 12:57 AM

#1 the person who started the thread cares
#2 if you don't care...don't post. you took the time to make a reply....odd for someone who does not care...
#3 who cares about a road course....lol
Old May 11, 2003, 02:22 AM

I don't like where this one's heading
Old May 11, 2003, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by hocy4life

12.4's - 12.6's out of the stock Cobra, if the conditions are right.
Old May 11, 2003, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by Diesel
I agree the EVO is a superior car in the twisties. But on a open track like Laguna Seca for example. The Cobra will come out ahead. Because it is a lot faster in a straight line. I've seen 112-114mph out of a stock '03 Cobra.

That's some serious pulling power. I guarantee thats enough to make up for what it looses in the corner. It's not like the cobra doesn't handle well. It still performs very well. Just not quite up to par with the EVO. It's brakes are nice also. Again not up to par with the EVO.

Now, get on a tight auto-x course of short and tight road course and the EVO is going to eat it for breakfast.

That's just my opinion though.
Old May 11, 2003, 02:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Ryan Autry

I agree the EVO is a superior car in the twisties. But on a open track like Laguna Seca for example. The Cobra will come out ahead. Because it is a lot faster in a straight line. I've seen 112-114mph out of a stock '03 Cobra.
Are you sure of this ? If we were talking about sportsbikes, I know for a fact that the lower top speed Ducatis could beat the Higher top speed / accelerating hondas because the ducati could hold it's speed through the corners, wheras the Hondas had to bleed speed and try and make it up on the straights.

In fact if you look at the June issue of Motortrend when they pit Evo against Cobra, Corvette and some other super cars. The Evo holds it's own because of it's great handling. Straight line speed is not always the be all and end all.
Old May 11, 2003, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by zx6r

Are you sure of this ?
On a wide open track like Laguna Seca with a 10mph advatage just in the 1/4 mile in acceleration. Yeah, I'm sure about that. Imagine from a roll, like on a road course. Both cars exiting a corner into a straight away side by side.

Sorry, the cobra's going to get to 150 a hell of a lot faster then the EVO.

Like a said before, on a tight track the tables would be turned.

Originally posted by zx6r

The Evo holds it's own because of it's great handling. Straight line speed is not always the be all and end all.
No, you're correct. Straight line speed isn't all that matters. But you all act like the Cobra can't handle well. Yes it's underpar from what the EVO can do. But it still does very well.

Like in MT's Figure 8 test. Sure the cobra lost, but only 1.4 secs. And pulled a little better average g-force.

But again, that's on a tight/short course. Nothing compared to a 3+ mile road course.
Old May 11, 2003, 04:26 AM

agree the EVO is a superior car in the twisties. But on a open track like Laguna Seca for example. The Cobra will come out ahead. Because it is a lot faster in a straight line. I've seen 112-114mph out of a stock '03 Cobra.

That's some serious pulling power. I guarantee thats enough to make up for what it looses in the corner. It's not like the cobra doesn't handle well. It still performs very well. Just not quite up to par with the EVO. It's brakes are nice also. Again not up to par with the EVO.

Now, get on a tight auto-x course of short and tight road course and the EVO is going to eat it for breakfast.

That's just my opinion though.
i'm with him
Old May 11, 2003, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by hocy4life

Pick up Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords every once in awhile. There were a couple intakes on the CAI for the '03 Cobras that made 20 rwhp or more in last month's issue I believe.
Old May 11, 2003, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

I can promise you guys that the tp speed rating is too low for the EVO... Been to 162... "At a track of course"!!!
Old May 11, 2003, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

i just thought I would waste some space and time to post my analysis.....not rocket science, but it does prove that for a long time the evo is the winner........

I used just an average driver's #'s from the cobra forum.

Quick Reply: Evo vs Cobra again - time slip analysis