Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Motor Trend Times EVO 13.08 WTF!!!!!!!?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2003, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Martyr
13.08 sounds pretty incredible (glad it's not my clutch/tranny), but 109 mph? I just can't believe that (nor the STi). That's like 9 or 10 mph higher than others are getting with their Evo trap speeds. That would be a HUGE disparity between stock Evos if so.
The REAL disparity is from the drivers.

You'd be surprised how slow a bad driver can make a fast car run!

SERIOUSLY!

I thought we covered this topic a hundred and one times already?

A NOT SO GOOD driver will run high 13s in a stock EVO.

A DECENT driver will run mid 13s in a stock EVO.

A GOOD driver will run low 13s in a stock EVO.

Case closed, nothing new... I see fast cars go slow almost everytime I go to the drag strip... the problem??? See the "no driving owners" of the cars for comments!
Old May 12, 2003, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Scan the time slip and post that 13.1 time.
Old May 12, 2003, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by yo****oshi
Bro, you are freaking out over nothing. The EVO has been out for hardly any time at all. Already an owner reported he ran a 13.1 ET. If an owner is running a 13.1 ET, surely the magazine can. You bring up all these numbers of them testing cars "underestimating" them, but that is not a truth or norm. Before the S2000 even came out I remember when they got a 13.8 ET out of it. It was a very long time before anyone ran a 13.8(certainly not within a month of the car coming out like silencer did), and even to this day after many years, there are but a handful of 13s timeslips on bonestock s2000s.

I think people are a little too confident in their own driving. Drivers that can extract 100% of cars such as the S2000 and the EVO are few and far between. There is no way that you're going to see a bunch of 13.0 - 13.2 time slips in the EVO, just like you're not going to see a bunch of 13.7 - 13.9 times on the S2000. Is it possible? yes? Is it possible for more than a handful of EVO owners out there? no.

Just because you're .5 off, doesn't mean it's impossible man. I think you need to examine factors other than, "i'm a really good driver, and i'm still .5 off.....gee it must just be impossible if I can't do it."
Well said... I think most people out there "think" they are badass drivers... I on the other hand know only a handful of what I would call "badass" drivers out of a TON of racers I know.

I think it is easier to blame the car for slow times than yourself.
Old May 12, 2003, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by stvbreal
Scan the time slip and post that 13.1 time.
Search for the thread ... it was done by Silencer.
Old May 12, 2003, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

It is called tailwinds.

A nice little gust behind you can help a lot.
Old May 12, 2003, 12:04 PM

Thumbs up

Drivers that can extract 100% of cars such as the S2000 and the EVO are few and far between. There is no way that you're going to see a bunch of 13.0 - 13.2 time slips in the EVO, just like you're not going to see a bunch of 13.7 - 13.9 times on the S2000. Is it possible? yes? Is it possible for more than a handful of EVO owners out there? no.
Thanks Vosh and Turboniam, you have made my point exactly.

Optimistically, if even 5% (1 in 20, that's alot) of Evo owners are skilled enough to turn 13.0x or 13.1x, but the remaining 95% of us "average" Joe Blows will never be able to manage better than 13.5s or so, then what you are in effect saying is that the Evo is a mid/high 13 second car 95% of the time.

Most people are interested in a car's 1/4 mile time so they can use it as a comparison for the performance they EXPECT to get out of the car when they buy it. If everybody runs around saying the Evo is a 13.0x car, about 95%+ of Evo owners are going to be disappointed.

I don't think so many people are saying that the 13.0 and 13.1 simply COULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED (i.e. impossible), but are skeptical and generally saying "Wow, those times seem much faster than most magazines and other Evo owners, and I tend to believe the majority of "average" owners like me (unless I'm an uber skilled driver like Derek Bell or Silencer)."

Last edited by Martyr; May 12, 2003 at 12:09 PM.
Old May 12, 2003, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

It is not the fault of the car that the owner can't drive it to the full potential!
Old May 12, 2003, 12:16 PM

It is not the fault of the car that the owner can't drive it to the full potential!
Well, even if the Evo was a 9 second car but the remaining 99% of us could only manage 13.5x or higher, then in my eyes, the Evo is a mid/high 13 second car. 99% of us aren't really going to give a shiznit that the Evo is capable of 13.0x runs if none of us can do it.

DUDE: "Man, your Evo is sweet, how quick are those cars?"
EVOnwer: "They are 13.0s"
DUDE: "Sweet! So why have your past 5 runs been 13.6s, got some tuning to do?"
EVOwner: "Nah, I just suck as a driver. Very few people can actually get those 13.0 numbers."
DUDE: "Well, you wanna race my WS-6? I usually run 13.2s."
EVOwner: "Ummm"

Last edited by Martyr; May 12, 2003 at 12:23 PM.
Old May 12, 2003, 12:38 PM

Well, even if the Evo was a 9 second car but the remaining 99% of us could only manage 13.5x or higher, then in my eyes, the Evo is a mid/high 13 second car. 99% of us aren't really going to give a shiznit that the Evo is capable of 13.0x runs if none of us can do it.

EVOwner: "Nah, I just suck as a driver. Very few people can actually get those 13.0 numbers."

dude! that was the funniest thing ive read all day! i seriously just spit water all over my freakin monitor and people are lookin at my funny at work!
Old May 12, 2003, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Turboniam
I quoting myself incase it was not clear the first time.
Old May 12, 2003, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Well, its too bad they can't drive... thats life!

Actually, this already happened locally. Some kid who's previous car was a slow automatic was racing a bunch of people I knew and everyone that beat the "non driving EVO owner" was like "wow, I beat an EVO, don't they run high 12s or something?"

Then I had to step in and remind everyone for the EIGHT MILLIONETH time that any bad driver can make a fast car slow!! Turns out the non driving EVO owner could only muster a high high high 13 second pass at best.

The fact that this is even a discussion proves how green many people are... if you guys fall in the category of being surprised that a good driver really DOES make a world of difference, then you have a lot to learn about racing yet.

Let me give you the break down.

Driver + Tuning + Car = Fast

An increase or decrease of any one of those variables will affect 1/4 times.

So if you are running a mid 13 in an EVO, and then you let your friend, who is a better driver run your car, you should expect him to pull a better 1/4 time.

It is not uncommon at all for people to let their "better driving" friends take their cars down the track to see what the car will do with a better driver.

The bottom line is just face the facts... if you aren't that good of a driver, then that is what you are. Go practice because that is the only way you will become better. Enough with the "evo only runs XX.XX in my mind BS" because the majority of suck *** drivers can only pull XX.XX!!
Old May 12, 2003, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first things first, i'm no ones bro on this board...

second I'm not full of myself about my driving. All I can go by is my past experiences, I mean I was raised on fast cars, and no i'm not talkin abotu your riced out civics as beiong a fast car, i'm talkin old american muscle cars 700+hp built and driven by yours truely. Ever seen a 4000lb muscle car get put into a drift in 3rd gear doing 70, i have, i was in the driver seat.

Ok now that it looks like i'm trying to brag about myself i'm going to change the subject.

All i'm trying to say is if this vehicle is a 13.0 second car then it should be able to be backed up. I mean none of us were there when MT or the one other person who ran a low 13's run. Untill I can back this figures up with myself or atleast 15% of other evo's then ti's kinda hard to believe the car was 100% stock. I mean even the payment they chose is an advantage to them, i'd really like to run some tests on that pavement or atleast see a video of them launching the car on that pavement. I jsut find it soooooo hard to swallow that the evo can out run a STi. I mean the STi is going to be faster out of the hole and has a much beter power to weight ratio, not to mention driver control center diff and a better balance on the car.

I love my evo and will never own a subaru but c'mon guys I think Mitsu slipped MT a few bills lol JK!

Remember we are discussing this topic not trying to hate on people so keep the comments on topic.

To add one final comment, if you go around bragging you drive a 9 second car and you can only pull 13's out of it you should be casted for Fast and the Furious3.... they seem to be into BS talk. 10,000 cars run 13.5 and 5 cars run 9's then i wouldn't call those 10,000 cars a 9 sec car i'd call them normal becasue if a car is impossible to drive fast then how can it be a fast car?

On another note look at the variance with stock Dyno numbers numbers are varying from 180hp to 250+ hp stock so i'm sure there are ALOT more factors then drivers in play here. I mean shifting is shifting, if ur fast then ur fast all the drivers skills are in the launch, and I know my 0-60 times are sub 5's so to gain half a second over my stock time is kinda odd. Not to mention the trap speed does any one understand how much it takes to gain 5mph on a trap speed, remember this is a somewhat, i guess you would call it, averaged measurement of speed not the speed at which you trip the finish light

Last edited by 1QWKEVO; May 12, 2003 at 01:14 PM.
Old May 12, 2003, 01:12 PM

okay, so according to you a 911 turbo isn't a high 11s car, because I KNOW(at least in my area) that 99.9999% of 911 turbo drivers definitely can't get nowhere near 11s if they actually ever did CARE enough to take their car to the drag strip. So a 911turbo isn't a 911 turbo just cause rich yuppies can't rip it? No.

Actually, you can pretty much say this for any car on the street. I repeat, few drivers can extract a true 100% of a car's potential, which means there will be few people running at the top.....with ANY car. In your little WS6 example your comparing a driver who knows how to run his car, with one that doesn't. Simple as that my friend. If you can't run your car hard enough, yes you will lose to other drivers that CAN(this happens every single day). There's thousands upon thousands of LS1s out there, so obviously it's not hard to find 13.1 - 13.2 timeslips, however if you take an average i'm willing to bet it's right around 13.6.

So you can either compare a car's FASTEST time to another car's FASTEST time or you can compare the average time to the average time....otherwise you're just comparing drivers just like in your little dialogue example.

The average 1/4 mi time in an s2000 is 14.5 or so, but does that make it a 14.5 car? I've even raced people that were cocky about beating me, because they had previously beaten s2000s handily, but you know what? When they ran against me, it was a completely different outcome and they were downright shocked. The driver matters people, if other people are running 13.1, and you are not, it surely ain't the car!
Old May 12, 2003, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by 1QWKEVO
first things first, i'm no ones bro on this board...

Remember we are discussing this topic not trying to hate on people so keep the comments on topic.
Interesting your "first thing's first" was a way off topic "hating on" someone else comment, and then you close with "ok guys lets stay on topic and not hate on each other.

Old May 12, 2003, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just clearing up stray comments....

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Times EVO 13.08 WTF!!!!!!!?