Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Please help! Trans reinstallation! Throwout bearing issues!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2006, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help! Trans reinstallation! Throwout bearing issues!

Okay, long story short, my evo's previous owner beat the car into submission, and I actually had a bad, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear synchro. I pulled the trans, and had a shop do the work on the trans.

Those in the know, know that you have to separate the spring clip on the pressure plate from the throwout bearing.

My problem is that I can't get the throw-out bearing to reattach to the clip. I'm not sure if I'm missing a piece, or if it's damaged or what...I'm used to push type pressure plates... Anyway, I know I kept track of all the parts, but the two wavy springs, the clip go into the pressure plate, then the you push the throwout bearing into the clip, and it should hold......right??

Please, someone help! I need to get this thing back together!!

Thanks!
Alex
Old Oct 14, 2006, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

basically u install the new tob onto the tranny....... install the tranny onto the block being very careful not the damage the clip on the pressure plate, once u have the tranny bolted up you just push the clutch fork to the drivers side and it should snap into place.......
Old Oct 14, 2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by kf6ytc
basically u install the new tob onto the tranny....... install the tranny onto the block being very careful not the damage the clip on the pressure plate, once u have the tranny bolted up you just push the clutch fork to the drivers side and it should snap into place.......
That's what I thougth...so if I push it over, and it doesn't clip...do I have to buy a new TOB or do I have to buy a new pressure plate to get the clip??

Thanks!!
Alex
Old Oct 14, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
u normally replace TOB...old one should still work though
Old Oct 14, 2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Evoryder
u normally replace TOB...old one should still work though
I wasn't worried about changing the TOB since the trans was the issue. Do you know if a new TOB comes with the clip for the PP?

Thanks,
Alex
Old Oct 14, 2006, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The old one should work if its not damaged. Did you try popping the TO bearing onto the pressure plate first to make sure it locks into place?? If your using your old Pressure plate it could be that the retaining ring on it got damaged when you pried it off or something got tweaked on the TO bearing itself. I would inspect both then decide if you need a new pressure plate or TO bearing. Pull the tranny back off and see if you can get it to lock onto the PP and that should tell you what you need. FWIW I've done a bunch of evo clutches and have never had this problem, Im betting on or the other is damaged.

Also..The TO bearing does not come with the PP ring.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

check here or ask this fella...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=227853

good luck..