Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Feedback & question about Bushur stages

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback & question about Bushur stages

First of all I would like to start off by saying I basically want to build my Evo all bushur. I love how they have stages with a flash all ready to go for a good price.

I do however have a question.

Do you get your ECu reflashed for every stage or just for stage 1?

Also for everyone that has experience with the bushur packages please chime in and tell me what you think about Bushur ingeneral.

Again very serious buyer here..Thanks
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
contact warratlon
Old Oct 18, 2006, 02:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can't go wrong with Buschur, AMS, or TurboTrix and your idea of picking one shop and sticking with their stuff is probably the best path to take no matter what shop you pick. I am a Buschur fan myself, but I used the AEM EMS for tunning so can't really answer your question about the flashes. Best bet is to give them a call at (440)-839-1900, they recently expanded their shop hours to better serve the customers

Keith
Old Oct 18, 2006, 02:58 AM
Evolving Member

You should always reflash/tune for changes that will affect you engines performance. If possible do all upgrades at one and you will only pay for one tune. Otherwise if a stepwise approach is a must (even if not planned, people usually want more upgrades then originally intended), consider aem ems/self tunning program, or be willing to pay for each reflash ~$300.

Also if possible to coordinate for custum tune at buschurs, I would highly reccomend.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

As you can see from my sig, I went w/ the Buschur/Warrtalon package. I chose this because I wanted a simple, reliable and inexpensive option that had shown proven results. I'm reasonably happy with it.

My only complaint is that even w/ the research I did I never came across anything saying the exhaust was cat-delete. Since I now live in a DEQ-free area it's not an issue but it was when I lived in Seattle.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cj8718
As you can see from my sig, I went w/ the Buschur/Warrtalon package. I chose this because I wanted a simple, reliable and inexpensive option that had shown proven results. I'm reasonably happy with it.

My only complaint is that even w/ the research I did I never came across anything saying the exhaust was cat-delete. Since I now live in a DEQ-free area it's not an issue but it was when I lived in Seattle.
I'm pretty sure they have a high flow cat if you dont want a cat delete.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Is there anyone out there running the basic Stage 1 flash?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

yea u have to flash for almost every mod u get
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Well, If you can do all the stages at once thats great and it would only require one flash for the whole thing. If you do them stage by stage we recommend a flash for each stage if you can. You do not normally need a retune for our stage 2 though. Each additional flash after stage one is discounted and will not cost as much. What I normally wil recommend to people if they can, is to go with stage 1-3 and add a fuel pump as you do not neccesarily need the bigger injectors unless you are planning on upgrading the turbo soon. I would also recommend looking into the s.s fabricated 02 housing we have as it is a great power adder and it bolts right on. Since, you are going to be there taking the exahust off anyways right there anyways you might as well just put that in there too. Also, porting the turbine housing and porting the exhaust manfiold while everything is off would be a good idea. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Last edited by Nick@Buschurs; Oct 18, 2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

I've been doing alot of searching and it seems alot of people are having trouble with Mail in flashes in general.

Personally I dont do mail in flashes but in my case and where I live this is my only option. Unless ofcourse Al decides to come back to Ak and road tune our Evos again.

On to my point. I'm under the impression that Al and Buschur offer 2 different Flashes for your Setup. I dont want a mail in done by Al do to the large amaount of problems I've been reading. So with that said can you tell me a little baout the reliability of YOUr BUSCHUR Flash and how it differs from Als Basic Mail in.

Thank you.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TurboIX
I've been doing alot of searching and it seems alot of people are having trouble with Mail in flashes in general.

Personally I dont do mail in flashes but in my case and where I live this is my only option. Unless ofcourse Al decides to come back to Ak and road tune our Evos again.

On to my point. I'm under the impression that Al and Buschur offer 2 different Flashes for your Setup. I dont want a mail in done by Al do to the large amaount of problems I've been reading. So with that said can you tell me a little baout the reliability of YOUr BUSCHUR Flash and how it differs from Als Basic Mail in.

Thank you.
We offer what we call our "Buschur Flash". This is done by Al from Dynoflash. These are maps that he has that were done with our parts on here our dyno on the same car and same day. This is will give you the most accurate flash as possible without actually having it done in person. These have worked flawlessly for us since we have started offering them.

As Nick said the stages 1,2 and 3 along with a fuel pump and the ported & coated turbine housing, exhaust manifold & fabricated 02 housing would be a really good start to upgrading your Evo. Some people will also add an Alcohol/Methanol kit which would allow them to run higher boost than if they were running straight pump gas. Others wanting to do their cars in stages would start with Stage 1 and 2 along with a fuel pump and add to the car from there. As was mentioned we do offer different options for the exhaust such as a highflow cat or a off-road pipe as well as different muffler options to keep the sound level down.

Something else I would recommend before getting to wild with the car would be an upgraded clutch. The stock clutch is the real downfall to the Evo. I dont know what your main use will be with the car but if you are planning on tracking it, drag racing it or launching it a new clutch is going to be a must. I would personally recommend the Exedy Twin H.D. clutch for stock or "smaller" upgraded turbo'd cars. Later on you can figure in other options such as a alcohol/methanol kit which would allow you to run higher boost on pump gas. In order to do this with a flash you would need to have the car re-tuned. Later on you can also look at a direct bolt on upgraded turbo such as our 20G-9, other larger turbo kits, standalone's, head work and/or a built short block.

The best thing to do would ask yourself what the main goal/use will be for the car and go from there.

If you have anything else you need a hand with or have further questions or concerns please feel free to ask. We'll be glad to help you out.

Jarrod
Buschur Racing Inc.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the reply Jrod.

INteresting you say the Buschur flash is done by Al. I thought I was positive that I read Al himself say Dave Buschur tuned the flashes he sells with the stages himself.

As far as how much I want out of this Evo..Well 330 reliable WHP is fine with me. I dont plan on drag racing much so I doubt a clutch will needed anytime soon.

Again the flash is my biggest concern. LIving in Ak and the Temp changes being so drastic as they are I need the Flash to be flawless. Cant be having the car run to lean or to rich. I dont really worry about knock, I run atleast 94-95octane at all times.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
David DID tune the flashes - he created the maps himself, but Al PERFORMS the flashes using the maps that David created. The temp changes in Alaska are not anymore drastic than places in the desert like Las Vegas, and there are tons of cars in those areas with mail-in flashes. It's not that big of a deal - a mail-in flash is made more conservative for this reason.

If you don't worry about knock, then why are you worried about running too lean or too rich? The whole point of worrying about running lean is that it causes knock. They go hand in hand. Running too lean CAN cause knock which then causes timing to be pulled and thus make less power while potentially damaging the engine.

Running too rich is what you already do everyday without a tune.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cj8718
Sorry about that. I tried to spell it out in the link in my sig, which states:

- Bushur Racing Turboback Exhaust with your choice of Hi-Flow Cat or Test Pipe and choice muffler (quite or loud)

As you can see, it states that you get to choose between an HFC or test pipe. There is no additional cost for the HFC, but you have to specify which one you prefer. Same goes with the 3 muffler choices. I believe the default muffler is the Bullet (best), and the default cat replacement is the test pipe unless otherwise specified.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:12 PM

My experience with Bushcur has been great. Their parts have made my car a lot more fun to drive.

Quick Reply: Feedback & question about Bushur stages