Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evos in the Snow: Chains Required?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! $390 for those spyders! I guess if you need chains off and on throughout the winter it's nice.

The Blizzak WS-50 is an awesome tire in the snow and ice. Possibly the best. They really suck in dry and wet though!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoski
I ran blizzak ws 50's last year and they are awesome! I live in Tahoe and was always confident I would get to where I needed to go. VERY good traction on ice or in the snow. They should probably last another 2-3 winters too. Good choice Evo8zip!

well thank you sir i still havent put them on yet...waiting til i HAVE to lol...snowed a couple of times here but nothing sticking yet damn ohio
Old Oct 25, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by saywhen
I live at 6100 in chain check happy so. cal mountains. I have never had a problem getting through the chain check with chains in my trunk and M/S rated tires. However I have had to show the chp the dash light showing I was in snow mode. He did not believe mitsu made a awd car. I said why does my car have a snow setting to change how much power goes to each well. He looked at the dash and said go on. On a side note I have scraped up my rocker panels from going thru to much snow. The evo is only good for about 10 of fresh snow. If others have gone before you and groves are frozen you will scratch your car. Snow tires give you great traction but when you start snowplowing your front end things get pretty hairy. Side note advans are like slicks in the snow.
Scraped your rocker panels!! Must be that crappy so-cal snow. I've never scraped mine from snow. I due buff on wax twice during the season. WS-50's must work alot better than M/S rated tires. I commonly push snow over my hood. Last winter I ran about an inch higher ride height with 16x5 rims and a 3/4 in. taller tire.