Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Put on HKS Suction intake -- big problems w/ car. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) You bought this expensive, barely useful intake without doing some research to see that it's a terrible first mod. This is not a Honda, nor is it any other boosted car. It is an Evo - do your homework.

2) Yes, you must have a tune if you install an intake, but no, these problems are not a result of no tuning, and a tune will not fix them.

3) Did you say you really don't feel like putting your stock intake back on? So, a blingy, name brand, loud, and useless intake is so important to you that you are not willing to perform a BASIC troubleshooting step just to ensure that your car can even RUN? I'm sorry, but that's just asinine. Based off this comment, I hope you know my first suggestion in determining the problem...
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
I would suggest resetting your ecu before further investigation
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^+1

OT-Warr did you ever get your Gerrard spec ohlins in?
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:04 PM

i will try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and letting the ecu reset. i use to do that with my mustang. i will get back to you
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Good idea on resetting the ECU, but it sounds more like the MAF plug is not plugged in all the way. I've done that before...

Dabaysevo, the parts are here in CO ready to install. Now, I just have to schedule the service, which will include fender rolling, 2 alignments (race & street), coil/spring/bushing install, and tweaking. I chose this setup, because I live near Paul, and his guys can do all the work.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Good idea on resetting the ECU, but it sounds more like the MAF plug is not plugged in all the way. I've done that before...

Dabaysevo, the parts are here in CO ready to install. Now, I just have to schedule the service, which will include fender rolling, 2 alignments (race & street), coil/spring/bushing install, and tweaking. I chose this setup, because I live near Paul, and his guys can do all the work.
What wheels are you going to run that require fender rolling?
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:28 PM
Yur
Evolving Member

hmm... strange problem. ...if you dont mind me asking... have you checked if you ran out of fuel?
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:31 PM

Good idea on resetting the ECU
Reset the ecu. unplugged both positive, and negative terminals, let it sit for about 5-10minutes.

but it sounds more like the MAF plug is not plugged in all the way.
pushed it in as far as it would go. unplugged it, blew in the sensor just to "clean" it out if there was a bad connection, plugged it back in all the way as far as it would go.

after resetting the ecu, it stalled out with in 1minute-2minutes. 15 seconds after it stalled out, turned it back on, seemed to idle a 'little' bit better, but still sounded like it was misfiring really badly. let it run for another 2 minutes or so, checked the engine for leaks or noises, the only noise i heard was coming from the filter. no leaks found anywhere, from the pipes, or the vacuum lines.

decided to take it off the drive way, drove it down the street. bogged REALLY REALLY badly when i was accelerating. i did not get on it all the way, just increased rpms steadily, and it was bogging. i am not sure what the problem is.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Yur
hmm... strange problem. ...if you dont mind me asking... have you checked if you ran out of fuel?

Car has almost a half tank of gas, and the spark plugs were recently changed (500 miles ago)
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

It might be a wise idea to backtrack even if that means reinstalling
the stock intake/airbox.

Another good idea would be do dissconnect the battery before
removing and reinstalling the MAF connector. Obviously this
is a measure of prevention to avoid shorting your MAF and/or ECU.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like limp home mode to me, which is what the ecu will do if it see faulty input on some of the sensors.

If you got a friend with a scanner have him/her pull the error codes out of it and find out what sensor is causing the problems if any. I'm told you can "lease" one at something like auto zone for 200 and then get your 200 back when you bring it back.

best of luck
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by r0ck3r
Car has almost a half tank of gas, and the spark plugs were recently changed (500 miles ago)
Did you remove ANY IC piping?
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

You sure you didn't damage the maf while you were unistalling it from the stock box and putting it on the RS. Take it off and look inside. The honey comb looking metal inside the maf should be intact and the wires leading to the maf plug should be intact. See if thats the problem.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:48 PM

roadspike - CEL/SES light isnt on

Tpayne - No i did not remvoe any of the IC piping. When the car was on i went over the engine and listed and the only sounds i heard was a sucking noise from the air filter

34Turbo - i don't believe i damaged the MAF or the sensor. the honeycomb is still there, it got a little banged up when i was removing it from the stock air box, but its not really 'damaged' the fins arent bent up, or cracked or anything, just doesnt look exactly the way it looked before.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
EDIT-I forgot to refreash my page and didnt see most of the pot.

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Oct 19, 2006 at 08:53 PM.