Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Put on HKS Suction intake -- big problems w/ car. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the vice grips were used to secure the bolts inside the air box to stpo them from turning. i never touched the actual sensor inside the maf. the only thing touched was the honeycomb.

but ppl are saying the maf might be bad, but if it was, it would give me a code ... and im not getting any codes at all, no SES/CEL Lights .. whatever you guys call them, we mustang ppl called them CELs
Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Have you started back tracking the installation yet ?

Tried putting it back to stock ?
Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:26 PM

Not yet, will probably happen tomorrow afternoon. I am going to remove the air filter 1st and see if its better. someone said the hks sponge filters mess with the mass air or something
Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
God no, why are you listening to "someone"???????? Lord have mercy, we have TOLD YOU WHAT TO DO, and you are considering taking off the filter and running the car that way? Good heavens, JUST PUT THE STOCK INTAKE BACK ON FOR THE LAST FREAKIN TIME!!!DE;KAFADSFQTRP1I435KML
Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warrtalon, sorry to Disapoint you but i Am wondering why are intakes soo bad. I mean isn't the MAF metering the Air. And isn't there an IAT sensor in the MAF.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
God no, why are you listening to "someone"???????? Lord have mercy, we have TOLD YOU WHAT TO DO, and you are considering taking off the filter and running the car that way? Good heavens, JUST PUT THE STOCK INTAKE BACK ON FOR THE LAST FREAKIN TIME!!!DE;KAFADSFQTRP1I435KML

didn't i just say that i was going to do that tomorrow afternoon?

and if it runs fine with the stock stuff back on, then what? still doesnt solve why the car is running crappy now :P

and i was just going to remove the filter and see how it ran at idle

---> the way its running now, with the bogging and "misfire" like symptoms, it feels like theres something blocking the airflow, or it isnt receiving the air
Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

They aren't "sooo bad," per se, but they should not be done as a first mod, they should not be a source of wasted money ($80 is fine, but $250+ is atrocious), and they should not be done without associated tuning. The MAF metering air and having an IAT sensor are not relevant. The abundance of extra air AS WELL AS the change in air flow (vortices) totally screws up the MAF readings and causes lean spots. The turbulent air and lean spots can be tuned out, but left alone, they are a negative for the Evo, not a positive.

Regardless, the intake itself is not necessarily his problem, but something went terribly wrong during the install. Either his intake is faulty, the install was faulty, he forgot to plug something back in, he swapped some hoses unknowingly, or he damaged the MAF itself.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by r0ck3r
didn't i just say that i was going to do that tomorrow afternoon?

and if it runs fine with the stock stuff back on, then what? still doesnt solve why the car is running crappy now :P

and i was just going to remove the filter and see how it ran at idle

---> the way its running now, with the bogging and "misfire" like symptoms, it feels like theres something blocking the airflow, or it isnt receiving the air
If you can telleport one of us over there, we can probably fix it within 5 to 30 mins,
or atleast get an idea of what is wrong. Unfortunately , I don't see that happening anytime to soon.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

never had a problem when i put my aem on.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

So I was going to put in an intake and fuel pump cause after i get a TBE i was going to get it tuned and the boost raised, So if i Get a tune the same day i put in the fuel pump and install the Intake will that make more horsepower, or am i better off with just a drop in.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3SgteGuru
So I was going to put in an intake and fuel pump cause after i get a TBE i was going to get it tuned and the boost raised, So if i Get a tune the same day i put in the fuel pump and install the Intake will that make more horsepower, or am i better off with just a drop in.
If your going to get it tuned the intake will be fine

Drop-ins can handle quite a bit of power its worth considering if your not planning to go beyond say about 400whp
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

The main reason i would want an intake would be just to pretty up the Engine Bay, but i would rather have power. I am not a ricer but every one likes that race ready look. I was looking for a deal on the Injen one with uper IC pipe. But if i am risking my cars longevity with it I won't do it. The ARC box is just insanely Priced, like most things for the Evo. Some Titanium Catbacks cost ove 2k. Most SS go for around 600!!! So i am having a Hard time finding parts. But I know you need a tune to raise the boost, and if you raise the boost you need a fuel pump and if you put a fuel pump in you need a tune. So there is a little circle there. But back to intakes, does a Dropin actualy do anything. Are they at least washable?
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

The main reason i would want an intake would be just to pretty up the Engine Bay, but i would rather have power. I am not a ricer but every one likes that race ready look. I was looking for a deal on the Injen one with uper IC pipe. But if i am risking my cars longevity with it I won't do it. The ARC box is just insanely Priced, like most things for the Evo. Some Titanium Catbacks cost ove 2k. Most SS go for around 600!!! So i am having a Hard time finding parts. But I know you need a tune to raise the boost, and if you raise the boost you need a fuel pump and if you put a fuel pump in you need a tune. So there is a little circle there. But back to intakes, does a Dropin actualy do anything. Are they at least washable?
Capared to the crappy paper filter it came with yes..

Its not ALOT but it will breathe better which will help your tune. Without tuning it wont net you alot of horsepower. If it made 10hp i'd be suprised..

EDIT:
Oh yes you can wash/reuse some of them
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

I was planning to get power out of the exhaust not realy the intake, hey if I can save a few bucks instead of throwing them away. But I am going to get a tune so what should i get. I am looking for like a 320 whp to 360 whp setup. Somewhere in that range, power but not like crazy just faster than stock. So for that aplication which would be better, I do have the mod bug so I might get the urge for more power later.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

I was planning to get power out of the exhaust not realy the intake, hey if I can save a few bucks instead of throwing them away. But I am going to get a tune so what should i get. I am looking for like a 320 whp to 360 whp setup. Somewhere in that range, power but not like crazy just faster than stock. So for that aplication which would be better, I do have the mod bug so I might get the urge for more power later.
Go with a staged upgrade like buschur,ams, gruppe-s

That should get you the hp you want.