Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Put on HKS Suction intake -- big problems w/ car. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put on HKS Suction intake -- big problems w/ car. HELP!

I just put the HKS Intake on my car, the one with the metal pipe, the suction one. not the 100$ one, just to clarify it up so you guys know what i mean.

Anyway, put it on, reconnected all 3 vaccum lines, (2 to the pipe, 1 to the diverter valve) connected mass air and air filter etc.. started the car, ran fine for like ... literally 1-2 seconds, then it started to make sounds like misfiring, the idle would raise and go to like 1500 or 2000, then drop down to like 500 and feel like it was going to stall out, then run really rough at those rpms, go a little higher, then suddenly just drop to real real low rpms then just shut off...

not sure what the hell is goin on, everything is connected, is there anyway to trouble shoot it? i really dont feel like putting back on the stock intake ... it was a pain in the ***, not to mention the pictures of the intake in the installing book make it look so much easier then it actually was to put it. the thing barely fits in there.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

you need to get tuned..your air/fuel ratios are off
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:07 PM

i havent even drove the car yet, i just turned it on. i never had a problem with any of my other cars from just putting an intake on it before, and ive had boosted cars before ... seems like its completely undrivable now, even when im giving it gas it stays at the same rpms for a few seconds and then shoots up
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trueno429
you need to get tuned..your air/fuel ratios are off
+1. my injen intake does not act like that thank god but i am getting tuned as soon as my nisei licp comes in.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
my car ran fine without a tune. make shore your maf sencor is hooked up. you no the plug you pulled from the maf.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

most of the time when u add an intake you need to get it tuned, and if everything is hooked up and is the right way that might be your problem
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:31 PM

the maf is plugged in, everything is connected. there is no vaccum hoses not connected, everything reconnected back up.... so im really confused
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

You just need to get it tuned.....take it back off and just run the k&n cone filter with stock pipe. It will run fine.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:39 PM
Account Disabled

Your car needs to be tuned to run aftermarket intakes. Some evos will run fine some will need tuning. Just depends on the car. I tried my car with an aftermarket adapter and kn filter and it ran like crap.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:40 PM

to get it tuned throguh the mail i need to take my ecu out and ship it to them? i dont know of any local evo tuners down here.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

yeah try the mail in i have herd alot of evos having good results on it.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Man I'm so suprised 99% of you guys talk out of you butt hole. Putting an intake on does require a tune but that will not make his idle f_____p up. Do some research before posting.... please!!!! You must have hooked something up wrong. Try throwing the stock air box back on and see if it still does it. You can drive around all you want with an intake on without a tune but you'll lose power and it would be a good idea not to get on it at all.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

but it will sound like it will run 11s with the kool bov sound wooooosh! haha
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by 05EvoVIII
but it will sound like it will run 11s with the kool bov sound wooooosh! haha

maybe if i buy the kewlz bov it will run correctly!

anyway... 3 vacuum lines, 2 on the intake pipe, and 1 that connects to the diverter valve. all connected. 1 sensor to plug it, the mass air flow. didnt even disconnect it, until we started it and it ran like crap. unplugged the sensor, plugged it back in 2min later, restarted the car, same problem.

not really that hard to mess up, nothing extra to plug in other then what i have mentioned. it feels like theres a vacuum leak real bad. when i turn it on, and give it has, it sounds like its misfiring REAL BAD, and it jsut goes bap-bap-bap-bap-bap-bap and rises a little bit then more of "bap-bap-bap-bap" then the diverter valve releases and makes a noise. i dont even want to back it out of the drive way, because i dont think it would make it back up with the way its running now.

so far everyone has said "you need to get tuned" seems weird for just an intake, but ive heard it in other posts as well..
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

You should not have problems with that intake. It was one of my first mods without a tune and it ran okay. You must have not connected the MAF sensor plug correctly or you might have had the key in the ignition when you disconneted the MAF sensor and thrown off the ecu. Try disconnecting your battery and check out the MAF sensor and all your clamps and hoses are tight. After about a minute or so your ecu should be reset and your car should work okay.