Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsu dealer not letting me test drive?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2006, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didnt test drive either of my evos before buying. I already knew I wanted it just from all the reviews I had seen. Both times I went in with a pre negotiated price and left with my car in less than 45 minutes.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 09:27 PM
Pocket Mo

You're still looking at roughly the same amount of sales, test drive or not. Who in the right mind would want to pay $30K+ for a car with no power seats, heated seats, leather, automatic, sunroof, premium sound, and low maintenance besides us car fanatics? Sure you can get the sunroof, leather, and premium sound but it still lacks the other amenities that cars in the $30K+ range have.

Only people that want an Evo or other raw high performance vehicle will buy one.
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
I think that if a dealership has a used one on the lot - that is the the designated test driver. If they have only new ones, then they have to keep ONE as the test drive car. Maybe they will lose a little profit by needing to sell it cheaper because it has 1000 miles on it, but they may gain 2 or 3 or 5 customers to buy other new EVO's, so they will make more $$$ in the end.

If EVO's were easier to test drive, more people would buy them, and then they wouldn't be "limited production" vehicles. That would be good for everyone!!
I agree, but my dealer was anxious to get me behind the wheel of an MR with only 38 miles on it. And yes, he was ready to let me go out alone.

I'm not saying all are like this; I'm sure plenty of folks get a lot of crap, but in my case the dealer was more than willing to put me behind the wheel when I expressed genuined interest (ie: requesting a quote via a cable service called Optimum Autos lol).

Anyhoo, now I have an Evo MR Special Edition and already I know it's the greatest car I'll ever own
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I bought my car used in Februrary, the sales guy let me and my dad go for a test drive and take it home for the night to talk figures over with my mom (even though we ended up buying it at like 9pm that night). But a few months later, I went to my local mitsu dealer just to check out the 9's and the sales guy right away grabbed the keys and let me drive it, no questios asked. I really showed no interest either, he was just like, "oh, how does it feel compared to your evo 8" I'm 18 and paying for my own car, insurance and gas, so I really can't afford a new one, but it shows that some dealers are giving test drives to anyone. But on the other hand, I went to look at a IX MR with my friend who has the $$ to buy one, but they wouldn't let him even drive it unless he committed to buy it. I guess it all depends on the dealership. If I was buying a new one, I'd rather buy one with no or less that 20 miles on it, knowing that I'm the only one that has driven it. Find a used one or just buy it. You will not be dissapointed.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by diablo2184
are you over 21 or 24......i know some dealers wont let you test drive if you are under either age...i forget what age.

if u decide to buy, go somewhere else and then roll up at that dealer in it.
I must say something about your comment. It is true that age is a limiting factor and a selling image. A 17 year old showing up into a Porsche dealer asking for a test drive isn't going to fly, on the other hand a 17 year old showing up to a Porsche dealer with his father in a business suit and riding in a Porsche would be a different history.

I can understand the dealer having their reservations, unfortunately there are more time wasters than real buyers so some dealers get the idea that 100 people will test drive and only one will actually buy, not this case though.

If the buyer goes to the dealer with some legitimate intentions and runs a credit report and brings his paycheck then I don't see any obstacle on doing a test drive.

On this case is kind of out of the question, the customer don't have to pay $1000 to be able to "qualify" for a test drive.

Carlos
Old Oct 20, 2006, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly Im glad they don't allow test drives on Evos. Think about it; its a performance car so people will want to drive it like one when they test it. This will mean 5k launches, constant WOT, hard cornering, rough shifting, and all this when the car isn't even broken in yet. I would not want my car to go through this before I bought it and I doubt anyone does. You could argue that they could have a dedicated a tester but the Evo is too low volume of a car for the dealerships to justify having one.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evolved Monkey
Honestly Im glad they don't allow test drives on Evos. Think about it; its a performance car so people will want to drive it like one when they test it. This will mean 5k launches, constant WOT, hard cornering, rough shifting, and all this when the car isn't even broken in yet. I would not want my car to go through this before I bought it and I doubt anyone does. You could argue that they could have a dedicated a tester but the Evo is too low volume of a car for the dealerships to justify having one.
totally agree with u on the 5k launch but its not like the sales person is not going to be in the car. i showed up at a subaru dealership, test drove the 05 sti and the salesperson basically threw me the key. i told him first hand that i wasnt going to buy today and he said its ok because if i like the car then ill be back. when in the car, i treated the car with the utmost respect because its not my car. i didnt launch the car, i just tested its handling ability comparig to my old wrx.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

I think its comedy that they are concerned about breaking a near bulletproof in stock form engine. But I agree they can't just allow anyone to test drive them. These things are serious performers.... especially to the unexperienced. A turbo car can definately throw some ppl off when it spools and hits hard.

For me... I was coming from a 600hp Mustang so I already knew performance. I actually preferred to have the Evo demonstrated by a seasoned Evo driver before I made my decision. Thats when 'fromWRXtoEVO' took me out for a ride. Needless to say I was sold in a heartbeat. If you have any reservations about buying an Evo let me save you the trouble.... DO IT. They OWN.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Well... I pulled into the dealership in my 00 dakota and said i was intrested in the blue evo over there in the corner. Next thing i know the salesman runs inside and gets the keys. : )
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xballsport
Well... I pulled into the dealership in my 00 dakota and said i was intrested in the blue evo over there in the corner. Next thing i know the salesman runs inside and gets the keys. : )
At the endo the day this is sales.... if they are desperate to move inventory they will hand you the keys and arrange a hand job. Its that simple.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mathgeek
Is there a used one on the lot that they'll let you test drive?
They let me test drove one that I have now
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

They do it for reasons like what happened in my city. An Evo got wrecked out on a test drive. I know the guy that was in the car at the time....his friend is the one that wrecked it.

I dunno about the not test driving part. I was completely FOR buying an STi. I was just about to apply for the loan the following day when I decided to stop by the Mitsu lot. Previously they wouldn't allow me to test drive, but fortunately I got a cool saleman that let me take out the brand new MR and brand new IX. Neither had been driven, so I counted myself lucky getting to drive both. Kinda ****ty I ended up buying my car in FL and not from him.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by teknishnIX
At the endo the day this is sales.... if they are desperate to move inventory they will hand you the keys and arrange a hand job. Its that simple.
In some situations, Yes and No.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I sell both Evos and STIs and I can tell you I have turned down many people for test drives. I just ask lots of good questions. The answers to those questions allow me to draw my own conclusions on whether you need to drive one of these to buy one.

But to not ask the questions and just say "no" to you is wrong. I wouldn't want a salesperson that didn't ask questions anyways. To me it just shows that they just don't care. I'd just make my way to the sales manager of the dealership and ask for someone that cares or go somewhere else.

Last edited by LITE SPD; Oct 20, 2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LITE SPD
Well, I sell both Evos and STIs and I can tell you I have turned down many people for test drives. I just ask lots of good questions. The answers to those questions allow me to draw my own conclusions on whether you need to drive one of these to buy one.

^^
Someone who uses there head like they should. I would do the same

Quick Reply: Mitsu dealer not letting me test drive?