Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

what to look for when buying used?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to look for when buying used?

My fiance and I are going to buy a evo quite soon and we're pretty set on just getting a new one, but then I just thought it might be possible to find a used one for sale that hasn't been beat. Anyways I was looking for some possibly things to check before buying used? I know its wrong to stereotype but I'd rather not buy one from some highschooler knowing that odds are its been raced. I searched the forums but didn't really come up with much! Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by igetpaid11
My fiance and I are going to buy a evo quite soon and we're pretty set on just getting a new one, but then I just thought it might be possible to find a used one for sale that hasn't been beat. Anyways I was looking for some possibly things to check before buying used? I know its wrong to stereotype but I'd rather not buy one from some highschooler knowing that odds are its been raced. I searched the forums but didn't really come up with much! Thanks in advance!

vin# stickers on ever panel ie:doors, fenders, trunk, hood , bumpers etc. if theyre missing from a certain panel then the car has been crashed or crashed into
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

I bought mine used last year, its an 03 gsr. I dont know about the previous owner but, I havent had any serious problems as of yet. Since I have owned it I have taken it through some serious beattings and it has come out unscathed so far ( knock on wood ). I don't know if you have intentions to modify it or not, but I would definetly look to see if the previous owner had done any. This isnt always easy to spot however, as most bolt ons can easily be swapped back out for oem. But if there is obvious mods done it would be totally at your discretion from there. Because if there was one mod there is a good chance that there were more. If you do have intentions to mod it, I would highly recomend buying a low milage good condition vehicle, simply for the fact that when you mod cars the first thing you modify is the warranty.

Other than that be on the look out for the same stuff you would on any other car, leaks, noises, body damage, dead hookers in the trunk, you know, the usual.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:38 AM

well it's going to be more of her car than mine and if we/she is going to mod at all it'll probably just be a few odds and ends.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

In that case just save yourself the headache and buy new. You will have a full warranty and no questions about the guy who owned it before you. Just make sure you don't get put in the one the dealers take customers for test drives in, those things get ragged out by over zelous dealers trying to impress customers.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Apex Racer
In that case just save yourself the headache and buy new. You will have a full warranty and no questions about the guy who owned it before you. Just make sure you don't get put in the one the dealers take customers for test drives in, those things get ragged out by over zelous dealers trying to impress customers.
That's funny you say that because when I went to buy my S2k the dealer had me test drive an STI they had just got in. I was like sure why not. Well I get in it and it has 0 miles on it and I got all of maybe 30yards away from the dealership and he's like hit it! I was like wow the car isn't broken in and it's not even warmed up! I was like you know what, how about you drive. He drove and was redlining it like no other! After that I was a little nervous about buying the S2000 so I had them order one with 0 miles on it, ended up with like 2.5miles! Anyways moral of the story, becareful from stealerships too!
Old Oct 21, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

I'm tellin ya, they drive like they're in the JGTC trying to get that sell.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look for all the thing you would with any car. drive it to see hot it drives. test all the power options. run the ac and see if it works. check the tires. check all over the body for and dingd and previous damage. if there are mods look too see if noting was half assed
Old Oct 22, 2006, 01:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try to get one thats:

- low miles
- stock if possible
- look for signs of obvious stupidness like giant scraps on the undercarriage
- ease out the clutch very slowly on a test drive to test for clutch warping, chatter, damage
- listen to the sounds of the drivetrain for excessive whining, or grinding, other obvious strangeness

good luck
Old Oct 22, 2006, 02:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at all the screws that hold stuff together in engine bay, if it has been stock then you will notice that purplish pink paint on each screw should still be there.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

first off check the radio's preset stations. that right there can tell you uf the car has been owned by a youngin. second transfer case whine. im not saying anything about the evo owners name, but he traded his 05 evo in knowing the TC was ready to go along with the clutch.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

1 rule to buying used evo or even a sti.

never buy used.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

i wouldnt go that far, not everyone kills these cars you just need to pay alot of attention to the car and make sure that everything is working well with it. Of course a car with the lowest mods and lowest amount of miles as possible will be the best.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
first off check the radio's preset stations. that right there can tell you uf the car has been owned by a youngin. second transfer case whine. im not saying anything about the evo owners name, but he traded his 05 evo in knowing the TC was ready to go along with the clutch.
Radio presets... Very good idea! I'd also like to throw in again get a totall stock Evo, plus do a compression and leak down test. That'll get you some sort of an idea if the motor is in "ship-shape". And lastly the trusty CarFax... There's usually a member on here that can get you some for free !
Old Oct 22, 2006, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Don't presets reset after you unplug the battery. Just a thought, but maybe the dealer unplugged the battery to work on the car, then set their own presets on the "test drive" to see if all the parts are in working order (translate: beat the **** out of the car).

Quick Reply: what to look for when buying used?