Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Long Post but please read need HELP

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Post but please read need HELP

I have read every post i can find on oil pressure and oil lights flickering at idle, and am amazed at how many people have seen that little light blink at them. In response to my question what should oil press be at idle with engine very warm, i have gotten replies ranging from 30 psi to between 6-10 psi. These were actual readings taken from the guage in peoples cars, not just their thoughts on what it should be, we all know workshop manual says if you have 4.2 psi you are good but i have a hard time buying that. My JDM evo 9 gt with 3000 miles is showing between 7-10 psi at idle on very hot day, light will flicker the moment it drops below 8 psi. I am using mobil 1 15-50 and the thicker oil still does not make any difference. If 4.2 psi is ok why is switch triggering light at 7 psi ? do i have bad switch, should i use 20-50 oil, is it possible i have bad oil pump on new car or did i just get a lemon. Any help any one can give on how they resolved such a problem would be great.

PS engine runs fine and tons of press as rpm climbs.
pps will bumping idle to 1000 rpm hurt car.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cayman evo
I have read every post i can find on oil pressure and oil lights flickering at idle, and am amazed at how many people have seen that little light blink at them. In response to my question what should oil press be at idle with engine very warm, i have gotten replies ranging from 30 psi to between 6-10 psi. These were actual readings taken from the guage in peoples cars, not just their thoughts on what it should be, we all know workshop manual says if you have 4.2 psi you are good but i have a hard time buying that. My JDM evo 9 gt with 3000 miles is showing between 7-10 psi at idle on very hot day, light will flicker the moment it drops below 8 psi. I am using mobil 1 15-50 and the thicker oil still does not make any difference. If 4.2 psi is ok why is switch triggering light at 7 psi ? do i have bad switch, should i use 20-50 oil, is it possible i have bad oil pump on new car or did i just get a lemon. Any help any one can give on how they resolved such a problem would be great.

PS engine runs fine and tons of press as rpm climbs.
pps will bumping idle to 1000 rpm hurt car.
i just put a oil pressure gauge in as well. im reading 15psi at idle. im told its ok.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possibly the Switch isn't soo good, I would mainly put the correct weight oil back and get an oil pressure gauge and replace the oil switch. This way you can have more data and the data will be acurate.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by 3SgteGuru
Possibly the Switch isn't soo good, I would mainly put the correct weight oil back and get an oil pressure gauge and replace the oil switch. This way you can have more data and the data will be acurate.

I do have oil pressure guage, installed it right after i saw light flash the first time,that is how i know what my press is as for using 10-30 oil i would be deathly afraid in this climate with press so low using 15-50
Old Oct 22, 2006, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

what does the oil pressure gauge read with the correct oil in it?
Old Oct 22, 2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by evo150
what does the oil pressure gauge read with the correct oil in it?
Light flickered with10-30 too, cant tell you what press was as guage was not installed then. But it would have to be as it is now for light to flicker.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

12 psi minimum