Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2.3L GT35r EVO8 finally done!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:57 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its only at 25psi, that turbo isn't even getting warmed up. Just a nice reliable tune put in the car to make it streetable and driveable. Lots of power left in that setup. Knock sums are pretty much zero at all times. A month ago I don't think the motor was even in the car LOL. Thats pretty much a "shakedown" pass before he puts the car away for the winter.

I know it took me all year to go 130mph on my stock longblock (stock cams to yo). You don't just throw a car together and run 10's, sorry. But 5psi more boost and 50-80 more whp and it could get some healthy 120mph traps and the et is up to the track, clutch, driver.

Last edited by dan l; Oct 23, 2006 at 04:02 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Luke WL.
there are so many of these popping up lately, good to see its a popular combination.. I am goin with the aem and I have a maftpro i would sell you for real cheap if you wanted.. but which kit did you go with (or did you piece one together)?
I put the kit together completely myself. I had the downpipe/intercooler piping made custom at a shop around here.

www.metricmotorsport.com <- good buddy of mine

PM me how much you want to get rid of maftpro for. Its for an EVO right? Does it include the GM blow through too?
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan l
Its only at 25psi, that turbo isn't even getting warmed up. Just a nice reliable tune put in the car to make it streetable and driveable. Lots of power left in that setup. Knock sums are pretty much zero at all times. A month ago I don't think the motor was even in the car LOL. Thats pretty much a "shakedown" pass before he puts the car away for the winter.

I know it took me all year to go 130mph on my stock longblock (stock cams to yo). You don't just throw a car together and run 10's, sorry. But 5psi more boost and 50-80 more whp and it could get some healthy 120mph traps and the et is up to the track, clutch, driver.
Yeah buddy!!!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Add a clutch, and alky kit + retune. You'll hit high 10's/low 11's.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

not bad results, but there is deff more in the car at its current boost level. It could be that the tune is conservative or it could just be the driving. Don't take that as a slam cause it wasn't mean to be that way.

I don't think your at 400+ whp just yet judging by your traps either.
For reference I have a 35r on a completly stock 2.0 block from head bolts to the rod bolts. On straight 93 octain with ECUFlash I'm running 12.1-12.0 @ 116-118 and thats on only 21psi.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 05:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good job!!!! I like seeing 35rs on evos... They just run right on a 2.3l
Old Oct 23, 2006, 06:06 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
not bad results, but there is deff more in the car at its current boost level. It could be that the tune is conservative or it could just be the driving. Don't take that as a slam cause it wasn't mean to be that way.

Haven't even touched the timing maps, its on stock 03 timing maps . I'm keeping the timing conservitive because now is not the time to push the car. The clutch won't hold it anyways, the motor is new and thats not the way to treat new rod bearings if you catch my drift. All that was really done is it was leaned out, doctored up the injector scaling, deadtime, and added some boost. That, and you should have seen the headwind that day, this is me racing in the 1g, look at the backstops getting blown away......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTy0S0zIKmg

That and I made a mistake and set zachs stutterbox at 4000rpm's trying to force him to save his clutch. He only got in 2 runs with proper 2 step setting. First one was a 12.6, then a 12.3 and I guess the clutch was kinda getting pissed.

But low 12's at 116ish on only 21psi os pretty good for you. That turbo is slow in his car at that boost level, it only starts waking up at 25psi. Even my smaller 50 trim doesen't start liking the world till 25psi.

Next year is another year, people are parking their cars about now around here. I'm sure we'll have to tune it so that we can get the knock sensor to at least let us know that is working. Right now is knocks less than some stock evo's. Evo's are a lot more tolerable than DSM's on pump gas, that is for sure.

Last edited by dan l; Oct 23, 2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

You need to get rid of those stupid cams.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

woah, that is pretty decent then.

Question though, if you are worried about stressing the rod bearings and such why are you running 25psi and drag racing the car??
Old Oct 23, 2006, 06:50 PM
Account Disabled

Boost doesen't break motors ask me how I know . Detonation (accumulated over time) and preignition (allmost immediatley) kill motors. 7 bolts just hate rod bearings and detonation just pisses them off (not boost).

Racing is what I call fun. Building a car and looking at it is just a waste IMO. Of course its going to get raced. However everything should be taken in logical steps. The first time to the track is mostly shakedown as far as I'm concerned. Just make the car work instead of trying to push the envelope right off the bad. Get a baseline. Could I have thrown a nasty tune in the car? Yes, I definatly have the experience with the 4g63 to do so. Would it have been driven to its full potential and would the clutch have lasted? Probably not.

Last edited by dan l; Oct 23, 2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan l
Boost doesen't break motors ask me how I know . Detonation (accumulated over time) and preignition (allmost immediatley) kill motors. 7 bolts just hate rod bearings and detonation just pisses them off (not boost).

Racing is what I call fun. Building a car and looking at it is just a waste IMO. Of course its going to get raced. However everything should be taken in logical steps. The first time to the track is mostly shakedown as far as I'm concerned. Just make the car work instead of trying to push the envelope right off the bad. Get a baseline. Could I have thrown a nasty tune in the car? Yes, I definatly have the experience with the 4g63 to do so. Would it have been driven to its full potential and would the clutch have lasted? Probably not.
AMEN brother! Your my eyes/ears here. I know you have just the perfect words to describe everything, like I said in the post above DAN IS THE MAN! I only do things for a reason and if it is not needed or won't make much difference for my goals of the car then it isn't done. If you want a guy that shoots you straight and can street tune like a mad-man and be 100% safe, this is the guy.

My ultimate goal with the car is a totally pump gas streetable car that can lay down 500 whp (not measured by a dyno - only by racing and proving itself on the street/strip). My EVO drives better than it did off the showroom floor and has soooo much more power. I couldn't be happier!

~Zach
Old Oct 23, 2006, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

how much is a stroker 2.3 would cost me
Old Oct 23, 2006, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokinxtreme
how much is a stroker 2.3 would cost me
I wouldn't have the first clue because I did so much all at once. I know it would probrably be in the realm of $2,000.00 plus labor on top of that.

~Zach
Old Oct 24, 2006, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

good stuff. can't wait to see what this car does when its all broken in and tuned.

Max power/peformance on the track with pump gas is also my goal so it will be interesting to see the results.