Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What is the PROBLEM major issues

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the PROBLEM major issues

Hey guys another question from the guy with minimal knowledge. My mods are in my sig and i was playing around in my car at 4th gear and when I got on it as soon as i start to hit 5000 rpms it seems as if my turbo is spoolin but im not really gaining speed. I just got my boost controller because I was spiking and hitting fuel cut after my 10.5 hotside install so i set the boost controller to about 19 and now the problem exsist. I am trying to figure out what i need to do to get my car running right!!! Thanks please help me out!!!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Clutch toast
Old Oct 23, 2006, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

check the plastic clips that hold the snorkle in place.

I had a similar problem and that was the cause.

If they are not holding the snorkle down it will get sucked up and will choke the turbo for air.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Thats crazy i am missing the clips so do mitsu sell them or where can i find replacements. How is that the clutch can u explain Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2006, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

i feel like such a tool. i put a kandN filter in a week ago, and while doing that i lost those two little black tabs (is that what we are talking about?) i guess i am going to have to find a mitsu dealer around here and order those..
Old Oct 23, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jhanksevo
Thats crazy i am missing the clips so do mitsu sell them or where can i find replacements. How is that the clutch can u explain Thanks
When the clutchs are toasted - glazed, worn out, etc. They will slip.

Ex. when you are driving in 5th at say 2500 rpm (~40mph), then you punch it and a 3000 all of a sudden your RPMS go to 4000 and you dont really move anywhere, then it catches (or in some cases doesnt). I over stated, but thats the idea.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...archid=3361089

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/search.php

For those clips - any auto parts store will have them, you might have to drive it there and check to see which size fits -- or go to a body shop and ask for some clips - if you ask nice they prby will just give them to you.

Last edited by Smike; Oct 23, 2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys, get the clips out of your trunk lining. There's like 10 back there, and you only need to steal 2. After you borrow those 2 to fix the intake snorkel issue, then worry about buying new ones from Mitsu. They come in bags of 10 for like $20 - it's gay, but oh well.

Jhanks, you didn't give us ANY DETAILS whatsoever, and one of the first assumptions based off many other assumptions due to your lack of details is that the rpms are going up without the car accelerating. This usually indicates a slipping clutch. Also, the whole intake snorkel problem only rears its ugly head at around 6k when there's enough suction under boost to cut off the air supply and cause the boost to drop to 0 along with a loud whistle. If you don't have these symptoms, then it's not the intake snorkel, although it should not be in place without both clips holding it down no matter what.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
^^ Warr knew where I was going with the clutch thing. Yea the discription was kinda vauge I thought you meant your rpm's were climbing and you were going nowhere
Old Oct 23, 2006, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

hey guys im sorry i didnt explain in detail. i doubt my clutch is slipping. Its hard to explain but what was happening is my car was moving but it seemed like the turbo was working harder than i was going. I talked to the mitsu master tech and he said that my snorkel was hitting my hood at high rpms blocking the air into the turbo. The clips that hold the snorkel was gone and mitsu have replacements for a dollar that works better than the POS that we got with the older model cars. Thanks for ur help guys
Old Oct 23, 2006, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I'm amazed that the tech knew to tell you that. I have to help people with this problem all the time on EvoM, and I've never heard of nor met anyone at a Mitsu dealership who had a clue about this problem. In fact, at the place where I bought my Evo, they are the #1 volume Evo seller on the East Coast, yet after one of my free maintenances, I found that they had NOT put back my snorkel clips. I had already gone through the huge ordeal of figuring out this problem, so when I saw this, I went in and told them that it was very important that they n ever do that to any other Evo...
Old Oct 23, 2006, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Warr thanks 4 ur help. Yea the mitsu where I take my car in panama city FL we have a master tech who mainly worked on evos in memphis tenn and has ton of experience on other vehicles (very smart) I explained he knew off the back what I was talking about just like u guys said. He explained what will happen in the higher rpms and the sound it will make just as u did.