Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

modifications supported by credit cards??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
been there, done it. i will never use my cc to pay for my mods again. cc is an instant ego booster because you can get all these mods without paying it up front. but in return, you will be stuck with debt for years. think about how much interest you'd lose by making min. payments.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 01:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vishnu_Evo8
i feel the best way is to buy everything with credit cards and then pay the card off at the end of the month in full, this way you a) gain a good credit history, b) dont pay any finance charges, and c) if you have a credit card with cash back (like american express) you get free money back for the stuff that you buy. Its a win win win situation. In one year i got nearly 400 dollars for free all by buying on my american express and paying it off immediatley.
i do the same. i pay for everything with my credit card and always pay it all off at the end of the month. i get 5% cash back on grocery stoes and gas and 2% cash back on everything else. i make over $400.00 a year like this. its free money. citi bank credit card bythe way
Old Oct 24, 2006, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vishnu_Evo8
i feel the best way is to buy everything with credit cards and then pay the card off at the end of the month in full, this way you a) gain a good credit history, b) dont pay any finance charges, and c) if you have a credit card with cash back (like american express) you get free money back for the stuff that you buy. Its a win win win situation. In one year i got nearly 400 dollars for free all by buying on my american express and paying it off immediatley.

You will not gain any real credit by paying debt off before you have it. Credit card companys dont want people like this. Banks dont want people who pay off loans early. They want people who make the payments ontime and what the payments are. If your in it for credit your better off sticking a grand on there and paying 100$ a month.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 03:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ONRAILS

You will not gain any real credit by paying debt off before you have it. Credit card companys dont want people like this. Banks dont want people who pay off loans early. They want people who make the payments ontime and what the payments are. If your in it for credit your better off sticking a grand on there and paying 100$ a month.
Credit card companies make 2-5% on every purchase you make. They would much rather have a client that spends 50k a every month, take their cut, and never have to worry about collections. Your credit score is based on your credit limit, monthly payments, timeliness of them, and percent of limit spent. The more you borrow and payback on time the higher your rating. They never lose money if you payback early, there is only money made, and more on your next investment. You are always better off paying in full, for credit, and for saving money.

That being said, I bought my car and all my mods with credit. It's all paid off, and I took the rewards that my credit card company gave me.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
When using the internet I have to use my CC if the company doesnt accept paypal. I just make sure I pay it off when the CC bill comes in. I have done half one month than half the next depends on what I bought. Clutch 500. Paid off in 2 CC bills. Now I just charged another 600 for all the timing belt related items which i'll pay off in the next two billing cycles. I would have paid cash but like I said these are online purcheses. Plus its more convient to pay it off in two payments rather than one. More money stays in my bank.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

this thread came up at just the right time. I pay for everything up front, or just pay my bill off at the end of the month. Since ive been back in school and of course having the want to mod ive been temped to buy things on my credit card, but after reading this i think im going to stick to what i have so far. Dont want to be anymore in debt when i gradute than i absolutely have to be.

As for building your credit with a credit card, i went to best buy when i was young and got approved for 1300. I then turned around and bought a laptop with it, made the payment on time every month and in no time i could buy pretty much what ever i want. Just the rought i went, plus best buy cards and things like that usually have a really good rate.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WrX Kila
To be honest I dont think anyone with a big turbo will drop like 4k in cash. Your average evo owner is not PAID.

I Droppped 4k Cash, With SBR a month ago. I still owe them 1k!

Cash is king, Credit Cards are the Devil!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 06:37 AM
Former Sponsor

i dont pay cash.... i bought all 10k in parts and just put a big visa decal on the hood.... then i mail them a pic every month instead of a minimum.... then they mail me a sponsorship check...

jp...

i dont have enough mods to put me in debt... i'm completely satisfied with my car the way it is.. 11's was my goal... im done! i'll just upgrade things as they go bad... etc brakes, tires, bushings, suspension. cant justify taking things off the car hat are perfectly fine

cheers!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
After getting myself into about $5,000 dollars of credit card debt when I was younger (soem from an emrgency and some from me being stupid) and finally having paid it all off about 3 years ago, I don't buy anything with a credit card unless, I actually have the cash to pay for it up front.

That could be why I'm still on the stock turbo and wheels but, at least I don't owe on anything but, my house.

I don't know how some people do it. One of my mothers friends has $90,000+ in credit card debt. I felt like an idiot with 5k I couldn't imagine having that much. I would die from worrying about how I was going to pay for it.

Last edited by hotrod2448; Oct 24, 2006 at 09:47 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

CC are devil, i racked up almost $55K debt on CC 5 years ago, only get to paid it off last year! all my income for the past 5 years went to interest + capital. I really learn it the HARD way!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

all of mine have been paid in cash and sometimes when i've been in a bind i've borrowed some cash from friends. i always pay them back asap though. i hate being in debt but i also hate credit cards. tool of the damn devil i say!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

I dont even have a credit card.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Ive paid everything cash except the clutch/ flywheel and install and my tires
Old Oct 24, 2006, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

I have a 6k credit card debt that I racked up in college. Boy was I stupid. However, I will never by toys again with my credit card. I make pretty good money, but the EVO won't be modded until the credit card debt is gone. The EVO is good enough how it is!!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by housedj
since i'm a darkie & have black credit (born with $100k in bankruptcy in my name) i find it easier to use the wife's debit card...
lmfao