Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

clutch slipping or no boost at all

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch slipping or no boost at all

sup guys...gotta a problem with my car...did some searches..my guess its either im getting no boost at all or my clutch is slipping....

but the funny thing is ....my car is 2003 evo 8 only has 3000k miles on it....can a clutch start slipping already?...

when i drive...from first...all the way to fifth....no pull whats so ever....even at WOT in all gears.
i cant even hear my turbo or even my bov when im switching.......

any ideas?
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

well its not a slipping clutch unless it revs really high without goin anywhere....
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slavsevo8
sup guys...gotta a problem with my car...did some searches..my guess its either im getting no boost at all or my clutch is slipping....

but the funny thing is ....my car is 2003 evo 8 only has 3000k miles on it....can a clutch start slipping already?...

when i drive...from first...all the way to fifth....no pull whats so ever....even at WOT in all gears.
i cant even hear my turbo or even my bov when im switching.......

any ideas?
Yes, a clutch can start slipping that soon. If you want some ideas you're going to have to give a bit more information. So far all we know is that your car doesn't feel fast and you can't hear your turbo. As far as your clutch, if you are in 5th on the interstate and you floor it do your RPMs climb starting around 3000-3500 RPM without the car accelerating? If so, your clutch is gone. If not, you have another problem.

-Paul
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Do you have any mods to on your car??
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:36 PM

no mods to car yet...all stock...at 5 th gear....im flooring it .....on the interstate....and feels like the car is not moving at all...even after 3k rpms ....arent i suppose to hear my turbo start at 3k ? cuz i dont hear anything...just sounds like the only thing working is the engine itself...and no turbo......or when im just accelerating ....im switching gears........im not hearing the BOV at all....i got a stock BOV by the way...
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

so basically if you in 5th gear and punch the throttle your car speeds up very slowly but you rpm's climb fast?

If so yeah your clutch needs replacing.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait, are you saying something is wrong based off the fact that you don't hear the turbo/bov even though you have no mods? Is the car new to you? How does it only have 3k miles in 4 years? You can't hear anything on a stock Evo - that's why so many ricer noobs immediately get a BOV and intake as their first mod, because they only care about sound and not performance. In your case, I thought something had changed for the worse, but now it sounds like you just got the car and don't understand much about it.

You have to give us a better description than "and feels like the car is not moving." What do you mean? Are the rpms shooting up while the car isn't accelerating, or does it just slowly accelerate at WOT in every gear? There's a big difference with that and what we are saying with the clutch slipping. If the clutch is slipping, the rpms will shoot up without the car accelerating, then the clutch will catch, and the rpms will fall back down, then the car will accelerate again.

Is the car used? Did you just get it? What happened to this car to only have 3k miles? Has it ever been modded? More details....
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:56 PM

yeah....i push the gas....rpms go up....car barely moving....40-60 in like 20 sec....lol......

i know what a stock evo sounds like...you can still hear the stock bov.....just that when im driving normally...i dont even here no BOV...when switching gears....(i know the stock BOV not loud at all...but you can still here it a little)

i was reading through the forum....did some searches....some guy had same problem...turned out to be a faulty BOV...thats why im throwing it out...that it might be a boost leak or broken BOV...

and yes...i am a newb to this car.

i just hope its not the clutch...thats to much work ....
Old Oct 25, 2006, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

That still doesn't answer my question. You're just saying the rpms go up and the car is barely moving. You are not answering the question about the rpms SHOOTING UP without the car accelerating much (this is the clutch slipping), then after the clutch catches, the rpms come down, and you continue to accelerate.

My Evo made no noise from the BOV when stock, not even when I added a drop-in filter. A broken or faulty BOV would not cause you to have 0 boost or acceleration either.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 01:30 PM

no....rpms dont jump up .....ok...lets say..im driving on high way going about 55mph ...and i downshift to...let say...3rd........there is no jurk...or power...it just slowly accelerating...and does not grip all the way through evn up to 7 rpms....just slowly accelerating......
Old Oct 25, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

that does not sound right at all, you should take the car to a mechanic because a 03 with only 3000 miles sounds fishy to me.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

take it to the dealer.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slavsevo8
and does not grip all the way through evn up to 7 rpms....just slowly accelerating......
What do you mean "and does not grip"? Grip refers to either traction (tires) or clutch engagement. You're not doing very good job here of explaining yourself or answering questions. Starting to sound like a troll.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 05:52 PM
m2
Evolving Member

If this is legit, its safe to say its not the clutch. Clutch slippage to the extent of no acceleration will cause RPMs to shoot almost like you're in neutral. This will actually increase sounds from your diverter valve because of the revving and constant on/off throttle that the shooting RPMs will require. Can't miss it.

Based on the little useful info you've provided, id say it sounds like your motor or turbo is history. Any weird new sounds/ticks? BTW, mystock DV was barely audible.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 05:22 AM

found the problem, the rubber intake boot (thats tide to the turbo, that hooks up to the air box, sorry dont really know whats that called...still learning though), anyways....that thing was loose (boost leak) .looked like slipped off a lil...i took it all out....doubled checked everything..to see everything looked ok....hooked it back up ...tightened everything ....and ....took it for a spin............my evo was back.....

Quick Reply: clutch slipping or no boost at all