Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

some people just can't drive..an accident occured. blah!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2006, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tien
from the look of the wheels, your control arms are bent, does your car make that loud tire noise? if so it will be your bearings i think, just my opinion, glad you turn out fine.
You can't tell from the angle of the wheels whether the control arms are bent. I smashed my right-rear wheel into a stone curb when I first got my Evo and didn't know how to drive it. (Got the tail out under acceleration and then lifted throttle and spun.) The toe setting in the car got knocked way out of alignment, but the stiff aluminum control arm was fine. I had about 20 degrees of toe out on that wheel, till I got it fixed. Made it really fun to drive. :-) But it just needed to be realigned. (The eccentric bolt got turned by the impact.)

However, three years later, my wheel bearings in that wheel went bad. I should have had them replaced by the insurance company, but what did I know. Now the car is out of warranty and it cost me $350. So if your wheel got whacked, make sure they replace the wheel bearings. They can't take that kind of abuse. Even if they seem okay now, they could wear out prematurely.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:14 PM

well here are 2 more pics..one is a pic behind the quarter panel inside the trunk area, and another of the trunk itself [from a side view]. my question is now, isn't the trunk supposed to be flushed with the panel, or is it actually supposed to be lifted like that?

i went to an autobody shop earlier today, and i just had my car towed there right now. once i find out the whole estimate and what needs to be replaced, ill update the post. thanks for all the replies. btw, the police report isn't ready yet, but everyone whom i've talked to so far says it's the old man's fault. i really hope so.

Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

check out your rear diff, make sure it didnt get shifted on its mounts from a direct impact to the wheel. i dont think it did, but its better to have it all done now, compare both half shafts and how they slide in to the rear differential, make sure they look symmetrical.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

That's too bad. Unfortunately even if it's fixed as good as new, it will have a record of being in an accident and probably won't fetch good value if you go to sell it. It's the unfortunate thing about accidents and insurance. You get your car fixed but you don't get compensated for the loss in value.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by coolguycooz
check out your rear diff, make sure it didnt get shifted on its mounts from a direct impact to the wheel. i dont think it did, but its better to have it all done now, compare both half shafts and how they slide in to the rear differential, make sure they look symmetrical.
It's not just the diff mounting, but there is also a separate rear-suspension mounting that is independently attached to the chassis. In my case, when I whacked my right rear wheel into a curb, that got shifted a little (I think) because I could never get more than about .9 of camber from the right rear wheel, until just last week when I loosened all the bolts on the rear-suspension mounting (all 8 of them!) and pushed it back over to the right. It only moved about 1/16 of an inch, but that was enough to give me 1.1 degrees of negative camber on that side, which is about what I wanted.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

question to the original poster, who is paying for your damages? you or the guy who hit you?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 06:08 AM

will insurance cover getting a IX rear bumper. Because im in the same position basically.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

A car is totaled when the cost of repair exceeds 75% of the value of the car.....at least according to insurance companies. However is does not necessaraly mean that there will be a salvage title isued to the car.