Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Turbo Timer Question, Deals with Heat

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex
oh..... so when your turbo is slowing down from a 6k rev in 4th gear it's not making boost? you're brilliant... let me put it this way... turbo spinny = boosty boosty.

let me ask you this brilliance... what's keeping the turbo at your beloved "over 100k" when you let off from a pull???

then let me tell you what NOT keeping it 100k rpms. air. if it took 30 freakin' seconds for hte turbo to stop slow spinning from a 6k motor pull you'd have a BOOST DOWN curve as WELL as a BOOST UP curve. we all know that as soon as you lift and the system blows off there is no regeneration of boost.... otherwise systems like antilag wouldn't be necessary.
when you let off you go into something called negative pressure or vaccum so how would you be in boost and vac at the same time.....let me tell you something brilliant you say that turbo spinny=boosty boosty haha so that means that youre in boost at idle hahah...youre brilliant slapnut
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
oh... so the turbo spinning at 100k has nothing to do with making boost right? you're so damn smart that you didn't refute the fact that AIR is slowing the compressor. this assertion is so damn stupid there's nothing to even say. if turbos are so great at keeping their speed why the f is there turbolag. holy fk you're dumb!

let me explain something to you about why there's a negative pressure vaccuum. it's because the motor is moving more air than the compressor. yeah... that means the compressor is not moving fast enough to make boost... that means it's not going at 100k. wow.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

"bottom line" ...if there is a need to cool down the car before turning it off after a drive... then a turbo timer has a use. "holy fk you're dumb" Thats mature
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

when was this forum about being mature? look at it... you go to general and there's random posting everywhere. when was the last time a thread was even moved to the correct place?

take it for what it is... this forum is a free for all jungle of misinformation and stupidity... i might as well call it as i see it. maturity? i go to another forum to be mature and post useful information... by your location you should know that's at.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i take my driving easy a little before i reach my destination. i dont have a TT and i dont think i need it. if i didnt take it so easy before i reach my destination, then i'll let my engine run for 30 seconds or so...depending on how it was driven. if i did take it easy then i'll cut it in a few seconds.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

oh... so the turbo spinning at 100k has nothing to do with making boost right? you're so damn smart that you didn't refute the fact that AIR is slowing the compressor. this assertion is so damn stupid there's nothing to even say. if turbos are so great at keeping their speed why the f is there turbolag. holy fk you're dumb!

let me explain something to you about why there's a negative pressure vaccuum. it's because the motor is moving more air than the compressor. yeah... that means the compressor is not moving fast enough to make boost... that means it's not going at 100k. wow.
Oh im the one whos dumb haha im not the one who made the stupid comment on sayin that anytime the turbo is spinning youre in boost
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

you people crack me up lol....boosty boosty is my new fav phrase! my guess is that it doesnt take more than a few seconds for the compressor wheel to stop spinning after FULL LIFT of the gas. to more answer your question, most new technology of the turbos alleviates the need for a TT. romping on any car 2 seconds before parking and shutting it down is gonna shorten the life of the components
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by AhmadHasib
So correct me if im wrong, a turbo timer is used so the oil in the car can cool down(while at idle), thus cooling down the turbo after the engine has been running. I have noticed by looking at my oil temp gauge and also reading from people posting, the oil tempture will tend to get higher at idle then when the car is actually driving (normal driving, not ******* it)

My question is, if the oil temp is getting hotter while the car is in idle, why use a turbo timer? isnt it just going to increase the temp and completly contradict everything it was intended for?
All fluids will warm up in the car after initial shutdown, it is called heatsoak. Your grandmas Buick will do the same thing with all fluids in contack with the bolck, heads, ets.. The turbo timers job is to keep it flowing while the turbo itself cools. As the turbo cools it will heatsoak the oil that is currently in it. By using a turbo timer it will make that oil flow so that the same oil isnt getting cooked for the whole cool down.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

What happened to you guys? I used to come here expecting the expert's word on all things EVO and you guys haven't even come close on this one. Arguing back and forth on turbine speeds... you should be ashamed of yourselves. The obvious function of a turbo timer is to create that sweet "Dude, you left your car on..." effect. Geez. It's not rocket science, it's about looking awesome when you get out of your car!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

when was this forum about being mature? look at it... you go to general and there's random posting everywhere. when was the last time a thread was even moved to the correct place?

take it for what it is... this forum is a free for all jungle of misinformation and stupidity... i might as well call it as i see it. maturity? i go to another forum to be mature and post useful information... by your location you should know that's at.
Just because there is misinformation and immaturity doesn't mean you follow suit...SHEEP. I feel your point, but you're contributing to the pollution of the forum. Yes, I go to the other site also but there isn't as much support. It's a thing of numbers

It's unfortunate that people are too lazy to weed through all the BS of the forums and find decent info.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

what's funny is i'm the one weeding through the bull **** for socalevo and transfering hte useful threads over there so other people can just have one place to go to. isn't as much support of what??? vendors??? that's the point.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Uh.... back to the topic.

Basically, you're exhaust manifold and turbine housing can hit 1600F. Well guess what, your center housing is also connected to that 1600F turbine housing.

So, take a car that's been romped on for 20 min. straight on a road course and those turbo components will probably be damn close to 1600F. Now shut the car off. That's basically the same as taking a pan and heating it up on the stove to 1600F and then pouring some oil on it..... after a little bit, that oil is going to turn into a gunky mess, also known as 'coking'. That pan is like your bearings with the roasted oil on it.

Granted, in the real world we have water cooling which will help cool down the center housing/cartridge but ideally, you'll want to let the car idle for a while to allow the exhaust manifold, turbine housing, and center housing cool down before you shut it off. 800F is a lot better than 1600F.

I had a turbo timer on my previous car and the only times I ever used it was on cold mornings to let the car warmup while i was inside, and after coming off a road course/auto-x.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

I don't have a TT, but I am getting one. And I believe I need it too. I'm a volunteer firefighter. I live about 45 sec. from my station. When my pager goes off I jump in and go ***** out to the station. My station is at a T intersection. The road leading to that T is 55 mph. So when I pull in the parking lot, she's still kinda hot.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 02:27 PM

so now that we know what turbo timers do, which one is the best?
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Benny G
so now that we know what turbo timers do, which one is the best?
there all machines that do the same job you decide