Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Turbo Timer Question, Deals with Heat

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Timer Question, Deals with Heat

So correct me if im wrong, a turbo timer is used so the oil in the car can cool down(while at idle), thus cooling down the turbo after the engine has been running. I have noticed by looking at my oil temp gauge and also reading from people posting, the oil tempture will tend to get higher at idle then when the car is actually driving (normal driving, not ******* it)

My question is, if the oil temp is getting hotter while the car is in idle, why use a turbo timer? isnt it just going to increase the temp and completly contradict everything it was intended for?
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

thats not what a turbo timer is really for many ppl think that but not true its so that the turbo has time to slow down since it can reach over 100k rpms and if the engine is shut off you cut off its oil supply and eventually wreck the turbo
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

actually the bearings in the turbo can get ridiculously hot way past the temp point of what your oil gets to. + Instead of leaving the same bit of oil just sitting there on the hot bearings you let it flow through that way the same oil isnt just sitting there sizzleing.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 03:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actualy it only takes about 30 seconds to for the turbo to slow to a safe speed for the motor to be turned off, There isn't much mass to the turbine And compressor wheels along with the shaft, thus they have little inertia. The best way NOT to blow your turbo is not to rip it when you are about to reach your destionation. This way the turbo isn't spinning very fast.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
uhm.... it doesn't take the turbo long to slow down... if it took that long then you'd be making boost. where do you guys come up with this stuff? when you're at idle the turbo is spinning at idle speeds.... there's no miraculous time frames and it has less to do with turbo speed and more to do with turbo heat.

the whole idea or pretext was developed back before they had the nice stuff we have today like large cooling vanes piped with coolant to bring down turbo temps. back then the oil WAS the coolant so while it was likely getting hotter and not cooling down because of idle conditions you also have to take into consideration that there was no oil cooler back then which meant that higher rpms meant higher oil temps and running at idle was a cool down for sure.

bottom line. turbo timers are a waste.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 04:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
uhm.... it doesn't take the turbo long to slow down... if it took that long then you'd be making boost. where do you guys come up with this stuff? when you're at idle the turbo is spinning at idle speeds.... there's no miraculous time frames and it has less to do with turbo speed and more to do with turbo heat.

the whole idea or pretext was developed back before they had the nice stuff we have today like large cooling vanes piped with coolant to bring down turbo temps. back then the oil WAS the coolant so while it was likely getting hotter and not cooling down because of idle conditions you also have to take into consideration that there was no oil cooler back then which meant that higher rpms meant higher oil temps and running at idle was a cool down for sure.

Never heard of a wastegate eh?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

does yer stock turbo have a wastegate that needs cooling? is your wastegate oil cooled or water cooled?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The retards on this board never cease to amaze me. The turbo timer is to allow the turbine housing, manifold and center cartridge to cool down, mainly the center cartridge. It has nothing to do with the spinning of the shaft or impellers. Even under normal highway cruising speeds the manifold, turbine housing reach temps hot enough to make these parts glow orange. Allowing the car to idle keeps the oil circulating to prevent coking while the center cartridge, turbine housing and manifold cool to acceptable temp.

Last edited by EVO8emUp; Oct 26, 2006 at 06:05 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

just let the car idle 1 min and that should cool things down to a safe level.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the help
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
The retards on this board never cease to amaze me. The turbo timer is to allow the turbine housing, manifold and center cartridge to cool down, mainly the center cartridge. It has nothing to do with the spinning of the shaft or impellers. Even under normal highway cruising speeds the manifold, turbine housing reach temps hot enough to make these parts glow orange. Allowing the car to idle keeps the oil circulating to prevent coking while the center cartridge, turbine housing and manifold cool to acceptable temp.
man is right, it's all about coking.
sort of like chalesterol buildup in your vanes.....

although pressure in the oil lines does syphone the oil through the turbo for about a minute after the car shuts off
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

So the consensus is 30 seconds is sufficient? 45 secs? 1 minute? more?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

The turbo timer helps the oil cool down in the turbo. Because the oil in the turbo can "coke" and eventually cause the turbo to give up. I have the greddy one and depending on how hard i drive the car or how long depends on how long the turbo timer lets the car idle. I installed it myself and it was pretty easy.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by trinydex

Um what r u talkin about why the heck would it make boost when its slowin down its not stayin at that constant speed i dont know where u come up with that when you come to an idle your turbo is slowin down and eventually comes to an idle speed not right away.

And the cooling system actually gets hotter when you shut off your car so either way its not really cooling down all too much so why is a turbo timer a waste?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

oh..... so when your turbo is slowing down from a 6k rev in 4th gear it's not making boost? you're brilliant... let me put it this way... turbo spinny = boosty boosty.

let me ask you this brilliance... what's keeping the turbo at your beloved "over 100k" when you let off from a pull???

then let me tell you what NOT keeping it 100k rpms. air. if it took 30 freakin' seconds for hte turbo to stop slow spinning from a 6k motor pull you'd have a BOOST DOWN curve as WELL as a BOOST UP curve. we all know that as soon as you lift and the system blows off there is no regeneration of boost.... otherwise systems like antilag wouldn't be necessary.