Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Objective Test Data for Buschur Intake Air Temp

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Objective Test Data for Buschur Intake Air Temp

Here are the results of my intake air temp study, stock box (w/K&N drop in) vs. Buschur dry white filter (stock MAF pipe). Sorry for the delay in posting.

The test procedure:
1.) Precondition the vehicle by driving on the expressway for ~2 miles with no boost. Take exit and stop at car pool parking lot.
2.) Soak in car pool parking lot for 10 minutes, recording data.
3.) Drive off to expressway for ~2miles, accelerating with minimal boost. Record data to observe rate of cooldown.
4.) Change from Stock to Buschur intake and repeat.

Some observations:

- It was ~70F during this test.

- The accuracy of intake air temps in EvoScan was not very good back when I did these tests (version 0.90). Don't get too hung up on the exact numbers.

- Instead of messing around decoding the timebase, I just left 'sample number' on the X axis. The total time is labeled though (10 mins soak, 3 mins cool down).

- At idle, the increase of intake air temp is 3.26degF per minute for stock, vs. 4degF per minute for Buschur. I expected the Buschur to be much faster than stock, but it was actually quite close.

- During later testing, I found that running heavy, WOT boost results in a VERY FAST increase in intake temps.. The increase rate is MUCH faster than noted above... approximately 10degF per second!

- The cooldown rates seem very similar between each intake type. This is expected, since I keep the stock snorkel installed to channel cool air to the Buschur intake.

- With the Buschur filter installed, the intake air temp at idle sways up/down when the cooling fans cycle on/off. This makes sense, since the cooling fan is blowing hot air at the intake. I doubt there is any real problem with this.. it's just interesting to see. The stock setup doesn't do it because the snorkel is forcing the air to be drawn from forward of the radiator assembly.

- I tried to upload the raw Excel graphs/data, but the files will only compress down to about 500K, so I had to convert it to jpegs. Sorry.

You can reach your own conclusions about what this data means. Here's mine: The very minor difference in the rate of intake air temp increase between the two is not enough to worry about. Since the intake temp can jump up so dramatically fast during boosting, the extra 0.7 degF/min during idle is nothing to worry about.

FWIW,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Objective Test Data for Buschur Intake Air Temp-intake-air-temp-study-graph-1.jpg   Objective Test Data for Buschur Intake Air Temp-intake-air-temp-study-graph-2.jpg  
Old Oct 27, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rob W.
- During later testing, I found that running heavy, WOT boost results in a VERY FAST increase in intake temps.. The increase rate is MUCH faster than noted above... approximately 10degF per second!
10 deg F per sec rate is the same for Buschur & stock instake?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, it's the same 10deg/sec for either setup. Basically, the heat is being generated by the turbocharger compressing the intake air, so the intake itself doesn't really have any effect.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW thats some good info! Finally some proof that the Buschur and stock intake suck air in at around the same temp. I wonder what would happen if the Buschur MAF was used and the snorkle was still attached?

Sticky??
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Good info, thanks for that.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

where are the "o noez teh snorkelz" people?
Old Dec 1, 2006, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
While this is good info. I think your test results may likey be quite different on a hotter day. 70 degrees is quite cool out. Alot of the engine heat just aint gonna be present at that temp outside. The cool air is gonna be flushing the hot air out of the engine compartment.

I installed a cold air intake on my yellow car and got some eye opening results. The car had a 25g turbo at the time. I have temp probes at the turbo out and throttle body. The probes record peak temps. With the cold air intake the temps at the turbo out dropped 25 degress at same boost level. This was good for 12hp on the g-tech. This test was done in summer florida heat. High 80s low 90s ambient.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

~probably~ the wrong time of year to ask this, hehe, but Rob, is there a chance you can run this test in the heat of the summer to see if you return some different results?
Old Jan 11, 2008, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bster13
~probably~ the wrong time of year to ask this, hehe, but Rob, is there a chance you can run this test in the heat of the summer to see if you return some different results?

You realize this thread is over a year old?
Old Jan 11, 2008, 01:22 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
interesting data. Nice job putting it all together.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

You realize this thread is over a year old?
Yup, I can read, thx.