Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Loud "thunk" from the rear after quick shift?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thunk!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^^
Page 2 PWNED!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

to many times and your diff will go definitely a driver error as was said before
Old Oct 28, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carloverx
Imo (although technically it’s off topic) if you are trying to go as fast as possible in a straight line, this clunk is inevitable with stock bushings. It’s only driver error if you are not trying as hard as possible to accelerate at all costs (drag racing etc).
If you are stock and don't hear this at the track, you are hurting your time. I hear 1-2, and 2-3 shifts and I have to disagree that it is not driver error if you are trying to get the best E.T., you will be faster.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it not necessarily driver error. if you're daily driving then it is. but if you're trying to drive the **** out of your car, then it isnt. lol

it is your rear diff complaining and if you do it too much it'll **** on you. one reason why AWD sucks =/ ....cant smash gears and chip and stuff.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thisxguy
it not necessarily driver error. if you're daily driving then it is. but if you're trying to drive the **** out of your car, then it isnt. lol

it is your rear diff complaining and if you do it too much it'll **** on you. one reason why AWD sucks =/ ....cant smash gears and chip and stuff.
I agree with what was said here. To obtain the best drag time possible you should be power shifting (i.e. not letting your foot off the gas in between shifts) this causes the rpms to jump up slightly in between shifts and the there is a bigger difference in engine speed and drivetrain speed, causing a "CLUNK" from the drivetrain shock. Not exactly the best thing in the world for anything in your transmission, transfer case, driveshaft or rear diff and axles.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:19 AM

It could also be a backfire... I would always hear a loud "thud" when i quick shifted 1st to 2nd. I always thought it was the drivetrain, until some of my friends told me it backfired when i passed them up... From inside the car it doesn't really sound like a backfire.... Have some of your friends stand outside as you drive past them and have them see if it's a backfire. Just a suggestion...
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had that sound after i put a new exedy twin clutch in... some clutch adjustment did the trick i just had to raise the engagment

cheers!
Old Oct 29, 2006, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HassounEVO
It could also be a backfire... I would always hear a loud "thud" when i quick shifted 1st to 2nd. I always thought it was the drivetrain, until some of my friends told me it backfired when i passed them up... From inside the car it doesn't really sound like a backfire.... Have some of your friends stand outside as you drive past them and have them see if it's a backfire. Just a suggestion...
We aren't talking about backfire.