Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

any info would be appreciated

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2006, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any info would be appreciated

does anyone know how the ABS system works on the evo? Last night i had the unfortunate opportunity to juice a curb cracking my rim. Then the ABS light went on. This morning i started it up, the light turned off but when i drove and tried to stop the car wouldnt stop !... then finally the ABS light went back on and i could stop again.

i guess that means my abs system is toast. is there a "line" somewhere that might have broke?
Old Oct 28, 2006, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

IMO, unless there's brake fluid (horrible nasty stuff) everywhere, I don't think you've broken a brake line.

The most likely thing is that you've broken or skewed out of place the rotation sensor on that wheel. If you cracked your right front wheel , go look first at the left front wheel where it's still undamged so you know what to look for. At the end of the drive shaf near the wheel and inboard of the rotors, there should be this toothed wheel, like a gear that appears to be unconnected to anything. This is the ABS rotor. This is probably a little hard to find but should be there. Pointing at this (slightly behind \on the front wheel and in front and above on the rear) thing is a rather small thing with a small flat piece sticking out. This is the ABS sensor. If the toothed wheel is damaged, you need a new drive shaft and a new ABS sensor. If there's stuff cloggin the sensors then try cleaning it. Don't bend the little piece that's sticking out. Perhaps the sensor has hit the ABS rotor then both are dead. Best case scenario is that the sensor is disconnected or the cable is damaged. The connectors (2-pin) are in the wheel well, one on each corner. You need to remove the black plastic to get to it. For the front, it's mounted on the inside of the fender, almost directly outwards from the strut. There's only one connector there so it shouldn't be hard to find.

If you can't find anything visually, you need to take it to a Mitsu dealer. Sticking a scanner to it, the car will throw up error codes and they can take it from there.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the help.. its raining like a banshee here, so ill check tomorrow.. i jolted the right rear tire really good. this could sound expensive
Old Oct 28, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

In that case, it's probably just the sensors and bearings.
The full system in the evo involves:
1 rotation sensor at each wheel
2 accelerometers, mounted near your handbrake, just below the armrest
1 steering wheel rotation speed sensor
1 hydraulic unit under the hood just rearward of the battery

Probably something broke the cable to the rotation sensor. Anything else on that list is major surgery. Good luck....
Old Oct 28, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

I'm curious as to what happened also...BUT I'm really thrown off by your sig lol
Old Oct 28, 2006, 08:42 PM
Yur
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostless
I'm curious as to what happened also...BUT I'm really thrown off by your sig lol
+the avatar
Old Oct 29, 2006, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

the avatar was made by someone in OT, i have to keep it for a month lol, the sig kind of goes a long with it....

but i THINK its not going to be simple as to a sensor ... i was taking a left, the roads were wet, and i got on the throttle a little hard my rear end slid hardcore and nailed the curb real hard.. a whole piece of my wheel is gone, but my tire didnt pop. the abs light shortly came on after that, and now the car is making a humming sound when driving (possible bearing?)

do u think its bad just not to drive w/abs? i could milk this problem a bit if that were the case
Old Oct 29, 2006, 06:48 AM

It's not bad to drive without it, but it is less "safe" in the hands of an unexperienced driver. Just don't mash your brakes, squeeze. If you ride a motorcycle, you'll know what I mean.

And your insurance company will be pissed if they hear about your ABS not working.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

I would not advise driving with the ABS light on. It _could_ be a number of things, and by the sound of it, you might have a damaged driveshaft (or its cv joint). Having one of those fail is not fun and may damage other things.

Also, I think a number of other systems such as the AYC and and ACD base their calculations on the abs sensor so I'm not sure what would be going on with these systems right now. I'd take the car to a dearlership asap.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 01:27 AM

im saying 99% chance the the tooth broke off the c/v shaft . have fun buying a new one if it is . there around 550 from mitsu. mines been broken all summer i just took out the abs fuse till i replace it this winter. you probaly wiped out the wheel bearing too
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dreaminevo
im saying 99% chance the the tooth broke off the c/v shaft . have fun buying a new one if it is . there around 550 from mitsu. mines been broken all summer i just took out the abs fuse till i replace it this winter. you probaly wiped out the wheel bearing too

UPDATE******************************youre right my man... i took it to my mechanic b/c theres no way in hell im goin to mitsu..

my bearing was fine, but something to do w/the axle was a complete mess, and he said ordering it through mitsu is going to be 600 dollars.. i will keep you guys informed.. but what you are saying is probably true... w/the teeth breaking off the shaft. i really slammed the car hard..

so im probably looking at spending a grand to fix it... not to mention i need a new stock enkie wheel asap!!! anyone selling theirs
Old Oct 31, 2006, 04:38 PM

yea i wanna know what happened too, i havent done that yet and hopefully i wont but i still would like to know, good luck!!
Old Oct 31, 2006, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

yeah ill let you know what exactly happend.. i could only talk to my mechanic for a hot second today he said was it was going to be expensive.. He also said he needed just a certain part for the car, he tried to get it from mitsu, but mitsu declined and said they only sell that certain part if you buy the whole goddam axle.. yeah its confusing but i should know more in the following days

ps. heres a lesson, dont hit curbs!!! im a retard
Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

sooo it was a whole new axle, and whatever was wrong w/the ABS and bearing... total 1,400 dollars.. i didnt go to mitsu... do you think i saved any $ by going to a mechanic?
Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dreaminevo

yes, the final tally....... you were 100% right

Passenger side Rear axle assembly 548.25
Wheel Bearing Assembly 390.50

Parts= 938.75
Labor=400.00

1338.75 total

i looked at the "broken" axle assembly.... 1 lousy stinkin tooth was broken on the whole thing. its funny how one thing the size of a piece of rice can make your car run ****ty.

like i said before, he wanted just to replace the teeth that were broken, but mitsubishi just didnt sell that .. they only sold the whole axle assembly

live and learn... i STILL need a new rim though