Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Red turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red turbo?

My CEL light will turn on everytime I get on the freeway and boost it up for about 5 minutes, if I drive it hard on the streets it will not utrn on. Usually I reset eh battery and I'm goot for about 200miles.
But when the CEL turns on and I boost it ont eh freeway the car seems to run weaker and the turbo will glow red. Has anyone else had thes problem?
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:39 PM

ok the turbo glowing red is kinda not soo bad ( if you are realy ripping it hard, I mean HARD). But you should realy get the codes read, autozone does it for free, and post the coodes they should fit the format p9999 , usualy p0XXX but it can be P1XXX witch is a Factory specific code. You probaly running rich which is causing the turbo to get hotter, thats why it is glowing. Is it glowing in Dark light or can you see the glow in broad daylight. I haven't seen my turbo glow yet, i got it to. also what mods do you have?
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:57 PM

The glowing turbo is normal if you beat on it, but the cel means something is wrong - get a reader.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 06:50 PM

car is all stock and Ican barelly see it glow in day light.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

rich or lean will make higher egt's, turbine housing's do ussually glow red , i would just check all the basics like fluids and whatnot but i would definatley get the ecu scanned, because if you ignore the cel's and blow up your engine. thats negligence and wont be covered
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:41 AM

so how fast do you get going boosting for 5 minutes
Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:44 AM

usually stay between 70-80. Also i'm the second owner of this car, and i purchased it from an auto auction from another state. It was a theft recovery and has a salvaged title. Since it only has 21K Is there any kind of warranty still on it or I'm on my own at this point. Just curious.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RomansEVO8
usually stay between 70-80. Also i'm the second owner of this car, and i purchased it from an auto auction from another state. It was a theft recovery and has a salvaged title. Since it only has 21K Is there any kind of warranty still on it or I'm on my own at this point. Just curious.
I highly doubt there is a warranty on it if the title is salvaged. You should have looked around for a better deal. That salvaged title will haunt you forever.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 08:20 AM

The only reason I didnt buy one from the dealer was the insurance cost, The only thing the car was missing was the wheels everything else was the just turn the key and drive, gotit for about half price. Had no problems until i took it to a crappy import shop.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RomansEVO8
The only reason I didnt buy one from the dealer was the insurance cost, The only thing the car was missing was the wheels everything else was the just turn the key and drive, gotit for about half price. Had no problems until i took it to a crappy import shop.
Why would insurance be more on a clean title then on a salvaged title? I guess a lot of insurance companies don't pay out well on salvaged cars so that might be why. Still when you go to sell it thats where it will haunt you. Nobody wants a salvaged car.

Anyway back to the issue at hand. With it being stolen there is a good chance it was rodded pretty hard. I'd say maybe a damaged sensor somewhere or something along that line. Your best bet it so let the CEL come on and have the code pulled. No way of knowing without getting the code pulled