Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Oh S@#T my Evo got stolen!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2006, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't make sense that this is a super deterrent but there is no provider in California, where it has one of the largest markets for it. Correct me if im wrong, because I was going to purchase it within the next couple weeks until that fact.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yur
I have and i did my research. First, it does not prevent anyone from driving off in your car. Second, it can be defeated. These days anything that depends on, transmits or receives any kind of signal can be swiftly shut down. Its a cool system but i just did not feel that it bought me any time in terms of making it difficult for someone to steal the car. I am not against it though. Its a bit expensive when you get the full package but it does give you some info if you are not dealing with serious pros. I did have LoJack advance warning installed at the dealership and to be honest i dont know if it will ever pay for itself.
I've been considering it for a while now because I'm most concerned with the flatbed method of car theft. with that system I can set a perimiter and I will be notified if the vehicle leaves the perimiter, which I believe is similar to the lojack system. If a thief isn't aware that it's installed I don't know how he would know to defeat it until it is too late. true he can drive away in the car, but in ten minutes he'll be caught. I guess using both is really the best way to go, but you're talking about $350 for the Ravelco and another like $750+ for the Guidepoint. I guess with like $85k in the damn thing I shouldn't really be *****ing too much about another $1100. I just hate spending money on something that doesn't enhance performance.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

their california branch website is: http://www.nohotwire.com/
Old Oct 28, 2006, 08:36 PM
Yur
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostless
It doesn't make sense that this is a super deterrent but there is no provider in California, where it has one of the largest markets for it. Correct me if im wrong, because I was going to purchase it within the next couple weeks until that fact.
Check the post above.

Originally Posted by gaijin
I've been considering it for a while now because I'm most concerned with the flatbed method of car theft. with that system I can set a perimiter and I will be notified if the vehicle leaves the perimiter, which I believe is similar to the lojack system. If a thief isn't aware that it's installed I don't know how he would know to defeat it until it is too late. true he can drive away in the car, but in ten minutes he'll be caught. I guess using both is really the best way to go, but you're talking about $350 for the Ravelco and another like $750+ for the Guidepoint. I guess with like $85k in the damn thing I shouldn't really be *****ing too much about another $1100. I just hate spending money on something that doesn't enhance performance.
Yeah, go for it and write a review for it. Maybe going with both is the best plan. I already spent about $900 for LJ but maybe... i'll have to read the fineprint on the tracking service (guidepoint) and see which cases impare their ability to track the car.

Last edited by Yur; Oct 28, 2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Car alarms are to pro car thieves what AOL is to IT professionals. a joke.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by -=SPECTRE=-
Car alarms are to pro car thieves what AOL is to IT professionals. a joke.
This sums up my point succinctly.

Thats not to say I dont have one, I have a great one with many toys. Its just an extra step that hopefully the thief will want to pass on.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

FWIW we have the #2 stolen cars in the US! It will approach #1 shortly.. Insurance, insurance, insurance..!!!! On a different note.. On my 90' Eclipse GSX...I decided to be creative. I spliced into the ground wire of my fuel injector resistor block on the firewall. I ran a large gauge wire to a QUALITY toggle switch mounted under my drivers seat. Hit the switch, and no fuel... Hit it again and it runs fine.. Costs $15.00 max. If they got a flatbed, or a gun though...call 911, then Geico... Sorry about your car man..
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ravelco has custom keys.....you can get anything on it with any color....i wanted to get Evolution on it and they told me it would be 30 dollars for 2 keys and i would have to send back an old one to get it copied.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 01:11 AM
Evolving Member

I hope this $300 false sense of security makes you sleep at night.... The stock imobilizer cannot be defeated by the casual theif..... All of the evo's that are stolen have been stolen by either a dealer cut key (inside job) or a flatbed....... that revalco is the uglyist pos i've ever seen.

my .02

TJ
Old Oct 29, 2006, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
hey retard... isn't that what this ugly piece of **** protects against??? it protects against the KEY. it protects against the CAR BEING DRIVEN AWAY. it's like a kill switch but better! HALLO???? nothing but a boot is gonna protect against the flatbed. or a shotgun next to the window that overlooks the car.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 01:18 AM
Evolving Member

if you guy's really think this protects better than an alarm, you need a better alarm installer...
Old Oct 29, 2006, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
so when they cut the alarm power what happens? extra battery? oh they found that too.... what's next? besides that they'll start your car up the normal way which includes reflashing your ecu for the key they have or just having a coded key to begin with. what's next???

that was the thing about people stealing integras in san francisco. these thieves come in groups of 4-5... they scope out your car before hand. they test keys, batches of them because most people know that a worn acura key will work in about any acura. or honda for that matter.

then they come one night whileyou're havin' a beer in front of the tv and they snip your hood latch. they pop your hood and voila... lookie lookie let's play find all the right wires.

they snip the right wires and then they're off starting your car... they can even get a push start, as soon as they start it they pop in gear and they're off, everyone else hops in the suv they had as a getaway car and you're minus 1 itr.

this is like text book... the key to stealing cars is to DRIVE THEM AWAY. no one wants to use a towtruck but the last time i checked i haven't seen too many pulled over caught with hot product on the back. so we concede that there's no way to defeat that.

but a kill switch that's a key??? that's brilliant. and you can take it away hella easy.

Last edited by trinydex; Oct 29, 2006 at 01:05 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have any idea the range of frequencies DEI uses for their alarms? And the chances that a theif can mimic that signal? If he nails that then he needs to play the lotto.... An alarm is only as good as its install.

paging alarm, with a prox sensor, and window tint...plenty for the average consumer.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
so when they cut the alarm power what happens? extra battery? oh they found that too.... what's next? besides that they'll start your car up the normal way which includes reflashing your ecu for the key they have or just having a coded key to begin with. what's next???
when the main power supply is cut, the backup will set the alarm off. How did they get into the ign harness without setting the alarm off?

of course any alarm can be bypassed if the thief has the time..but they WONT do it without making any noise..or paging the car owner
Old Oct 29, 2006, 01:27 AM
Evolving Member

Alright if you have the key to YOUR CAR IN YOUR HAND AND YOU TRY TO START THE CAR WITHOUT THE PLUG IT WILL NOT START. Also I had mine mounted on the left side of my kick panel down by the clutch, so it's not like anyone could see it anyway. When the plug is off all you have is like 8 prongs sticking straight up...... The plug is round and gray.

Someone said something about car thieves traveling in packs this is true. When they hit, one rips your hood, antoher cuts your batterie cable, etc.... I mean they know exactly what to do and have done their homework. We go to work everyday but they study ways to defeat security systems, besides I am sure we have shady shops with guys who would rather steal because it's simply easier and it's the only life they know!

I like the idea of it being a deterent.... If it slows the thieves they'll get out and leave 90% of the time, especially in a heavily populated aread. Unless your car is parked somewhere deserted, really don't think they'll stay around and destroy your car since they couldn't steal the car.

Quick Reply: Oh S@#T my Evo got stolen!