Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Oh S@#T my Evo got stolen!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2006, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so let me get this straight, they can disable alarms, but not the holy ravalco? lolz
Old Oct 29, 2006, 01:45 AM
Evolving Member

That's right....go to their website. All the wires are black and hiddin inside the enjine bay.....not including the dummy wires. go back further in the thread and read and YUR talks about this same question. Dude who said anything about it being HOLY? Just trying to steer EVO owners toward a great Anti Theft device for a low cost but if you think you have something better that's cool.

Peace.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 03:07 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like a good product to me! will the ravalco work with existing alarm system?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DontRevMe
when the main power supply is cut, the backup will set the alarm off. How did they get into the ign harness without setting the alarm off?

of course any alarm can be bypassed if the thief has the time..but they WONT do it without making any noise..or paging the car owner
did you not read the part where i said they found the back up battery?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kf6ytc
so let me get this straight, they can disable alarms, but not the holy ravalco? lolz
well lemme ask you something... what does the alarm do?

it makes noise, it notifies the owner (if indeed it actually works, i've heard of people NOT getting paged when their car was right in their apt and so were they).

now how do you defeat this? you stop the noise maker and you stop the part of the alarm that goes to send the page... this usually means cutting power to all of the above.

does the car still work? yes it does, in fact it prolly woulda worked if you just let hte alarm blair and you hopped in and drove off. getting fantastic yet?

now you're gonna say well if you have a good install they can't find the alarm wires. let me clue you in on something... it doesn't matter how good the install is it doens't even matter if there's dummy wires cuz disabling the alarm is as easy as cutting ALL THE DANG WIRES. you think they don't know the 10 or so most popular alarms and what their boxes and wires look like and what good installs look like? but in the end all they have to do is cut every wire starting or at the same time as the backup.

what does this cool kill switch key do? it turns the bloody car off when you don't have your "SECOND KEY" in. how do you defeat this?

well... you'd have to wire the "key" together. being as there's dummy wires all of the same color as the regular wires and you only have a limited number of tries before the fuse blows and well i guess if you're carryin' a pocket full of fuses you get a pocket fulla tries but do you know how many permutations of 8 wires going to 8 wires there is? it's more than a pocket full. the best part? you have to put hte system back TOGETHER before the car works... it's not about diABLING it's about ENABLING. why are passwords so great? cuz without them it's disabled... this is a wire password that even you don't know, you just happen to have the key.

so can this be defeated... of course it can... you just need about 8^8 tries without forgetting any of the previous tries which also means developing a very specific testing system. you think a car thief has time or will to do that?? do you know how big 8^8 is??? and let's say you're REAL smart and you take both sides of the key and you have a few guys working a multimeter to find out which wires aren't dummy somehow assuming there aren't dummy voltages going to the other wires. well you still have a LOT of tries to do and in the end you still have a LOT of aligator clipping before you can even THINK about starting the car. if you mess up... welp pocket fulla fuses!

to me... it's a good idea, i don't even have one, i WANT ONE BADLY NOW.

once again. only way to stop someone from stealing your car. prevent them from driving it away. that's what hte club is for, the autolock, that's what removing your steering wheel is for, that's what kill switches are for, that's what pulling fuses is for.

what is an alarm for... not for preventing them from driving it away. it's for hopefully someone noticing when they do.

case closed.

Last edited by trinydex; Oct 29, 2006 at 04:09 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 04:56 AM
Pocket Mo

^pwnt.

After hours of researching alarms, I'll be going with a combo. A Compustar alarm system to help make the amateurs run away and the Ravelco for the professionals that can disable the alarm. No one will be flatbedding my Evo without me knowing nor will they be starting it. I can always hop into my fiance's BMW and chase the **** down with 911 on my cell phone.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if this system will work if I'm running an AEM EMS standalone ECU?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

I'll just keep mine in the garage. We don't have the theft problem like some places do around here. If my car gets stolen.....so be it. Its just a car and it will get replaced with something better.

The system you speak of does sound nice though. Good luck to all that live in theft problem places.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Yur
In response to "i'd rather have it stolen"... i love my car. Its mine. Its exactly how i want it. A few months from now when all 9 MRs are sold - how will i replace mine? I dont want to buy used. I dont want the SE and i dont want the X, at least until it proves itself. I want my car the way i have it now and the way i will modify it to my taste. If you look at monetary value, most things can be replaced but its not how much it costs its what its worth to you and to me my car is worth more than the check i would get from my insurance company. Besided, lets say you drive your car for a year. You got it brand new and you know every inch of it. You know what to expect from it. Now somebody steals it and you get a check for it's current "value". So now what? That check is not going to buy you a new one. Spend more money and time just to get to where you were before your car got jacked? I dont see any logic in that.
See that's where we differ. I love my car too but, just knowing that it has been violated and vandalized would change my feelings toward it. It's the same as it being in an accident. I just don't feel the same about it. I'm sure it's just a weird mental thing I have but, it's enough to make me not want it anymore after that and move on to another car.

I want something that intimidates thieves from even thinking about it. Like a 180 pound rabid rottweiler or Mike Tyson with a sawed off shotgun sitting in the passenger seat. Maybe I just expect too much.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 06:27 AM

Recovering a car, ESPECIALLY one like the Evo, after someone has literally driven it like they stole it. Nuh uh, not for me. It's a terrible feeling.

I mean, my parents had their 85 Camry stolen and it sucked big time. I can't imagine what it's like for an Evo.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 08:23 AM
Yur
Evolving Member

To answer a few questions put differently, yes it will work with any alarm, tracking device or any other theft prevention system you have installed. By the way its not 8^8, i think its 14^14.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vboy425
smart one dumb ****. now everyone know about it.
are you serious. i was doing this to my integra back in 98. it's not a new idea.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Install two kill switches for $10 and ur good to go

Onr in the car cabin and one in the trunk
Old Oct 29, 2006, 03:29 PM

you can always desighn a hidden cut of switch for fuel delivery and ignition and remove both relays. If you can do wiring you can have a thief trying to figure out what the hell to do for days before he can take it.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by snoop
Install two kill switches for $10 and ur good to go

Onr in the car cabin and one in the trunk
this is true... but if they see you going to the trunk all the time then they'll know you have one back there. the one in the cabin is then the only one with any mystery left.

kill switches are a great way to defend, most of the time with a well hidden kill switch they can only flatbed it. having a kill switch that basically takes a wire combo key is just better.

Quick Reply: Oh S@#T my Evo got stolen!