Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Oh S@#T my Evo got stolen!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2006, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Evogenji8
you can always desighn a hidden cut of switch for fuel delivery and ignition and remove both relays. If you can do wiring you can have a thief trying to figure out what the hell to do for days before he can take it.
the whole problem with complex switches and stuff is for one it's observable, for two it's a pain in the ***... imagine getting out of your car after a long day at work and you're like... maybe it'll be safe tonight i don't wanna or maybe i don't even remember to pull all the fuses and hit all the kills....

with this key it's easy... simple fast and just as effective.

but kill switches are the best way. this is just a fancy kill switch.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 03:42 PM
Yur
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 07:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
How many different systems are disabled by the Ravelco? Just wondering how hard it would be for a thief to just back trace to the splices made when installing the Ravelco.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Being a former ITR owner and reading all the stories on Honda-Tech of all the things thieves would go through to get a ITR made me realize putting a high dollar security system on a car is a waste of money. If they want it bad enough, they will take it and do anything to do so....

I read some guys house was partially burned down cause the thieves couldn't get to his ITR. Proof they will get you someway or somehow.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:01 PM
Yur
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
How many different systems are disabled by the Ravelco? Just wondering how hard it would be for a thief to just back trace to the splices made when installing the Ravelco.
Honestly i dont know. I can guess and i've been told by Chuck some info but i cant be 100% sure. Best thing to do is to ask them. From what i've seen during the install, you cant back trace anything. You will have to open the hood, take out the bat and the air box unit, take out the wiring and all and even at that point you will not be able to tell which wires are original and which are not. Once again, thats my understanding so you should ask them.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

The bottom line is that if someone wants your car, they're going to get it. No alarm system in the world is going to stop them.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
The bottom line is that if someone wants your car, they're going to get it. No alarm system in the world is going to stop them.
+1 ^

There are two major principles to security that I am just going to mention here:

1) If a thief wants something really bad, they will figure out a way to take it.

The only full-proof way to keep the car safe is to build a room with no doors, no windows, and no vents around it and then forget about it. But, that is totally impractical and totally defeats the purpose of having the car.

2) With #1 in mind, security products are about making whatever you are protecting less desirable to steal than someone that does not have those products.

The goal is to add as many pits and hurdles as you can stand to make whatever you are protecting the least desirable thing for thieves to have to go up against. But, there are some out there that are going to like that challenge.

"Damned if you do and damned if you don't"
Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

I thought this thread was about someone's Evo getting stolen. I open it up, and find it's nothing but obvious spam for a car alarm company or distributor.

I'm amazed mods have not deleted this spam.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

is that true that the can byepass the immobilizer just bye adding a ecu w/ no immobilizer in it.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

A few suggestions:

Have flamethrowers on the side of the car.
Have a snake in the car.
Have spiders on the dash.
Have a snake outside the car.
Have a hot girl nearby so they'll get distracted.
Have a bouncer.
Empty the petrol then refill the petrol when you come back.
Have a dummy camera that moves in your direction.
Keep a dog in the car.
Have alot of snakes in the car.

But all in all, I am sorry to hear about this. I always seem to read evos being stolen every week. Could it be the dealerships just stealing them back? The alarm companies stealing the cars after the installation?

Who knows..
Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
well lemme ask you something... what does the alarm do?

An alarm is designed to make noise to fend off a potential thief, IT ALSO is designed to disable the car's ignition, etc

it makes noise, it notifies the owner (if indeed it actually works, i've heard of people NOT getting paged when their car was right in their apt and so were they).

re-read my previous post, you need a better installer/alarm...... I've never had my alarm go off that i wasn't paged

now how do you defeat this? you stop the noise maker and you stop the part of the alarm that goes to send the page... this usually means cutting power to all of the above.

does the car still work? yes it does, in fact it prolly woulda worked if you just let hte alarm blair and you hopped in and drove off. getting fantastic yet?

If you had an alarm installed that only made noise, i feel pretty sorry for you....... All alarms are designed to also disable the ignition or fuel delivery

now you're gonna say well if you have a good install they can't find the alarm wires. let me clue you in on something... it doesn't matter how good the install is it doens't even matter if there's dummy wires cuz disabling the alarm is as easy as cutting ALL THE DANG WIRES. you think they don't know the 10 or so most popular alarms and what their boxes and wires look like and what good installs look like? but in the end all they have to do is cut every wire starting or at the same time as the backup.

You are obviously ignorant when it comes to alarms, if you cut all of the wires you will also be cutting the igition kill wires....... i.e. it WILL NOT start

what does this cool kill switch key do? it turns the bloody car off when you don't have your "SECOND KEY" in. how do you defeat this?

well... you'd have to wire the "key" together. being as there's dummy wires all of the same color as the regular wires and you only have a limited number of tries before the fuse blows and well i guess if you're carryin' a pocket full of fuses you get a pocket fulla tries but do you know how many permutations of 8 wires going to 8 wires there is? it's more than a pocket full. the best part? you have to put hte system back TOGETHER before the car works... it's not about diABLING it's about ENABLING. why are passwords so great? cuz without them it's disabled... this is a wire password that even you don't know, you just happen to have the key.

so can this be defeated... of course it can... you just need about 8^8 tries without forgetting any of the previous tries which also means developing a very specific testing system. you think a car thief has time or will to do that?? do you know how big 8^8 is??? and let's say you're REAL smart and you take both sides of the key and you have a few guys working a multimeter to find out which wires aren't dummy somehow assuming there aren't dummy voltages going to the other wires. well you still have a LOT of tries to do and in the end you still have a LOT of aligator clipping before you can even THINK about starting the car. if you mess up... welp pocket fulla fuses!

to me... it's a good idea, i don't even have one, i WANT ONE BADLY NOW.

once again. only way to stop someone from stealing your car. prevent them from driving it away. that's what hte club is for, the autolock, that's what removing your steering wheel is for, that's what kill switches are for, that's what pulling fuses is for.

what is an alarm for... not for preventing them from driving it away. it's for hopefully someone noticing when they do.

case closed.
So your saying that a WELL installed alarm that has hidden splices can be traced out, but again, not the holy revalco? Crack is a hulluva drug brother
Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Wrong, the imobilizer is seperate from the ecu, they are matched pairs........ You can swap any ecu into the car you want, unless it has the correct code it will not start,,,,,,even with the correct code you still need a matched key to the imobilizer.

Originally Posted by TycoRacing702
is that true that the can byepass the immobilizer just bye adding a ecu w/ no immobilizer in it.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 07:29 PM
Yur
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Roberto
I thought this thread was about someone's Evo getting stolen. I open it up, and find it's nothing but obvious spam for a car alarm company or distributor.

I'm amazed mods have not deleted this spam.
Have you read the thread? ... i wrote a reply to your statement but reconsidered and just removed it. Not worth it.

And to everyone else... its not holy, its not a miracle. Sometimes i wonder why i bother... honestly. You take the time to review something and lay out your thoughts and logic and in return, instead of saying "hmm... maybe i should research it more" or even "yeah, i know, but its not for me" people start arguments, accuse each other and make a big deal out of it. Lighten up people. Its free information. Why the F are you all so paranoid. You dont like this system, fine, dont buy it. Go on with your lives and dont even worry about car security. All this hostility is just sucking the freaking will out of me. Not one freaking person replied with at least "Thanks, i never heard of this thing" or "Cool, gotta check it out". Whatever... i am not going to reply to this thread any more. I'll just stick to posting "damn that looks sick!" in the "Show and Shine" forum. Where is that "F@*K IT" button i added to the keyboard now...

Last edited by Yur; Oct 30, 2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kf6ytc
So your saying that a WELL installed alarm that has hidden splices can be traced out, but again, not the holy revalco? Crack is a hulluva drug brother
once again you missed the entire point... what part of an alarms STOPS THEM FROM TAKING THE CAR??? the part where it makes noise? i ain't rick james *****, but you can enjoy yoself.

seriously i've addressed good points to which you have come back with nothing but hogwash or nothing at all. what about disabling an alarm doesn't make sense to you? where if you have to stop the noisemaker... if you can locate it... well... **** it's pretty easy to disable it isn't it?

once it starts makin' noise you can clip it. if the car is already started then it doesn't matter if the owner got paged cuz that takes a minute and a car moves faster than your legs in a minute.

if the owner was close enough to the car to hear it started then there was no need for the alarm to begin with. and so what if you KNOW it got taken... big ****in' deal it's GONE. the only time the alarm is maybe useful is when they're trying to flatbed yer **** away but the alarm itself isn't helpful in that situation the pager is. takes more than a minute to put that **** on the flatbed but if it's makin' noise no one will be the wiser cuz that happens all the time.

if you want to disable the wirepassword ignition kill... well you have to PUT THE WIRES TOGETHER

if you want to disable an alarm.. you CUT THE WIRES. who cares if you cut a TON OF THEM once you kill hte noise maker you're on your way.

seriously... are you dumb?

Last edited by trinydex; Oct 30, 2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 08:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
No doubt it appears that Ravelco is a tough product to defeat, but I think that you aren't giving fair credit to a well-thought out alarm install. With a good fuel cut system wired into one of the alarm's extra outputs, cutting all the alarm wires will dash any hopes of getting the car started in less than one minute (and can be much longer if the fuel cut is properly hidden). And alarm modules can be placed out of easy access. As far a stopping the noise, I can keep it running for at least three more minutes by putting a battery backup siren under the airbox. To shut it up, they'll have to remove the airbox, rip out the siren, and smash it. And if they still want to drive the car, they'll have to reinstall the airbox, and that's assuming they didn't accidentally tear out the MAF wiring when they were removing the airbox and they found the fuel cut.

I think the best feature of the Ravelco is the price. An alarm offers more convenience features than the Ravelco though. Just depends on what you want.

Quick Reply: Oh S@#T my Evo got stolen!