Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

MBC nob stuck

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBC nob stuck

I was going to adjust my Forge UNOS, but I noticed the nob is stuck completely. It wont turn to the left or right. I took it all apart and reseated the spring and cleaned and greased the ball again. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the stuck nob. I really just need to turn it up about 2 clicks and I'll be good. Or, could i sit the spring tighter and that might work? Appreciate any help. Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2006, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never heard of a knob sticking. That is very strange. Talk to Forge directly about it. Something like that would not be related to the ball or spring.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Well, at this point I dont think it will ever turn again. I will talk to Forge and see if they know any tricks though. In the meantime, do you think i could push the spring down another thread to induce more boost? I might just order another black unos and send this one back for replacement.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The spring should always be fully seated. There should be no way to push it down further.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

soft metals have a tendency to "gall" aka cold weld when the 2 sliding surfaces are too clean/grease free.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

It's supposed to get up to 70 degrees here today. Is it possible the "gall" could break loose? Should I try to apply some grease / oil to it, and give it alot of force? It moves about a half a centimeter, then it gets stuck.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 05:08 AM
Pocket Mo

Are you sure the MBC isn't turned up all the way? Do you have the stiffer spring in there?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

I'm positive it is not turned up all the way. Yes, I have the stiffer spring installed. It will not turn down either, it's just stuck.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

once galled, its pretty much done. even if you could break it loose, it will always have the binding feel.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

I just gave it all I got and that knob is not moving. It is stuck in the middle of a click. Looks like the easy to use ratchet system has failed. This sucks, I should have gotton a different mbc a long time ago. Can't wait to put the hammer to this thing.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

lol.

solid lubricants like molybdenum disulphide MoS2 is really good for anti-gall. Works really well w/o the greasy mess
Old Oct 29, 2006, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

where could i get something like that? I would much rather try some more things than shell out more money for a new mbc. Even if I had the stuff, I'm not sure how to apply it. Just two more clicks is all i need!
Old Oct 30, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

I broke it loose!!! The hammer did it...lol. So I am now able to turn boost up. It is still stuck turning down, but that's o.k. Now, for my final question, because I dont plan on modding more for awhile, I need help determining my boost. All stock execpt 272 cams, EcuTek tune, and the mbc. The tune was there when I bought my car. I run 93 octane gas and currently have the mbc set to spike at 21-21.5psi. It does not taper much at all. Is that safe? What should I set it to, or just leave it be now?