Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Gauging interest

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2006, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauging interest

I hope I'm not breaking any rules posting this. I'm a machinist/technician for my father in laws mechanical engineering firm. Being a long time do it yourself DSMer, I like making my own parts whenever I can. Brackets, exhaust, IC piping etc.
Long story short a coworker and I over the last few months, using Inventor (3D mechanical engineering design program) some trial and error and mill time made up an adaptor plate that allows you to bolt a T3 series turbo to the stock manifold and incorporates a dumped 38MM tial wastegate off the side. I can't get too into details or post a pic yet because we're possibly going into the patent process since it was made using company resources (trying to find a way around this). Exhaust flow is barely an issue due to the way Inventor, in the hands of a good engineer, is able to maximize flow throughout the piece. Fitament is a little tight on this revision, but good (it's the only way I could include a wastegte into it). When I have some extra cash, I'm going to have it flow tested against a stock manifold's flow. It requires the use of a custom TIG welded O2 housing which I also whipped up, along with a low pro fan, and oil drain and supply lines you can buy at any vendor. The whole thing is made in stainless steel.
Originally I started designing it for my own car. I have a great turbonetics 50 trim sitting around and wanted to install it somehow. There's a good amount of manifolds and complete kits on the market, but for someone like me with a family and looking to buy a home in the next year, they're too expensive at the moment. Add in the cost of the turbo, O2 housing, lines and gaskets and it adds up fast.
This is not intended to take the place of a complete setup, but for a quick cheap turbo swap, and for the price it seems like it's a good idea. Price isn't set until I know where I can get the materials from, but I expect to be able to make the whole thing for $300-$350, and maybe even incorporate a V-band into it to make DP removal easier. I first have to rebuild my engine due to a spun main bearing before I can test it further, but hopefully they can be ready to make soon. If I decide to make these, is there a market for them assuming the numbers are good?