Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Up-grading to head unit w/MP3

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2003, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Up-grading to head unit w/MP3

I decided to up-grade the factory CD receiver. I was going to get a CD changer of some kind, but I decided that an MP3 capable receiver would be a suitable alternative.
I've ordered an Alpine CDA-9813, it looks really goon on paper. I also ordered a wiring harness from Crutchfield so I won't be cutting the factory harness . The head unit also has a high current amp and requires 10 ga wire for the power tap. I'll use the 10 ga wire for the power that I got for the subwoofer. I guess I'll get some kind of distribution block....

Anyway, what do you people think of that head unit? Also, is there any advise of input you think I should know before I start the installation?

Thanks
Old May 13, 2003, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get the optional input? Im installing a computer so that I can have pretty much an unlimited supply of MP3's. I just need to find a headunit that will work with my color scheme for the interior.
Old May 13, 2003, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by theory
Did you get the optional input? Im installing a computer so that I can have pretty much an unlimited supply of MP3's. I just need to find a headunit that will work with my color scheme for the interior.
No I did not get the optional input. I never even know about it. I just thought that it played recorded CD-Rs with MP3 files............
Old May 13, 2003, 05:58 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

I got the 9815. My suggestion is to change all 4 speakers. Those make the biggest difference since your new headunit probably will easily blow the 15Watt speakers

I think the 9813 is similar to mine. Besides the preset equalizer i adjust bass by pressing the volume button and it's a sub controller. My stereo sounds super clear and now I have bass thanks to my infinti bassink. For $200 for the all in one amp with really thumpin bass it's a great deal
Old May 13, 2003, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

I got the 9813 and enjoy it very much. I also changed out the speakers. It is pretty much the same as the 9815 except for the adjustment where one sits.
Old May 13, 2003, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gtr
I got the 9815. My suggestion is to change all 4 speakers. Those make the biggest difference since your new headunit probably will easily blow the 15Watt speakers

I think the 9813 is similar to mine. Besides the preset equalizer i adjust bass by pressing the volume button and it's a sub controller. My stereo sounds super clear and now I have bass thanks to my infinti bassink. For $200 for the all in one amp with really thumpin bass it's a great deal
I was thinking of up-grading the speakers next, but I did not think that the Alpine would blow the OEM speakers so easily . Actually I thought it would make them sound better. It seems that the stoick headunit is the weak link..... I also have a powered Pyle subwoofer that I will install at the same time. It's agood opportunity to use the nice high voltage line outputs from the Alpine...
I was thinking to replace the 4 speakers (i'd leave the tweeters) with something like Boston Acoustics or JL's. I hope that I can do that without adding another amp. I dont want the expense, the hassle plus the xtra weight . I'm just not that picky about my audio equipment any more, too many years of listening to Led Zeppelin at high volume have made me somewhat deaf . Also, my taste in music runs along the lines of old Jazz and even older music that is only available in CDs copied from old, scratchy 78's... No matter how you try to clean them up, they'll never challenge the capacity of even the cheap OEM stuff.....
Old May 13, 2003, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

why buy a computer....when u can get a archos jukebox....dat holds 20 gigs

edit:::and u dun need a power supply so u dun got to hook it up to ur battery..
Old May 13, 2003, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ZooRacer

Actually, Kenwood makes a hard drive sort of thing that works with most head units via some sort of adapter. I considered it but decided against it for the cost versus the convenience and useability. I can make a half dozen CDs with my entire music collection (OK, about half of it, but I the music I most like) very easily and pop then in as needed.

Another thing is that I'll nver buy another Archos product again. They are a POS and offer zero support. I have an external CDRW unit that I paid nearly $400 for and it's useless because it will not support Win XP.... They do not offer any drivers for it and there is absolutely no support available. No telephone numbers, no frigging links in their website, no email address where you can contact them about, nothing, zip, nada...... Do not buy their **** they don't give a crap about their customers........

Whew... I finally got that off my chest
Old May 14, 2003, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jojo
I got the 9813 and enjoy it very much. I also changed out the speakers. It is pretty much the same as the 9815 except for the adjustment where one sits.
Did you do the installation yourself? If so, I'd appreciate any tips in how to do it, specially how do you remove the stock radio, etc.

Thanks
Old May 14, 2003, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gtr

You got the 9815 for $200??!? That's some kind of good deal My 9813 costs $300 and that's the lowest price I found.... They vary from $300 to $400... The 9815 sells for $499 from Crutchfield, of course, they are more expensive.... should be able to save about $100 shopping around, but the price you got was outstanding
Old May 14, 2003, 10:26 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Originally posted by silverEVO8

Did you do the installation yourself? If so, I'd appreciate any tips in how to do it, specially how do you remove the stock radio, etc.

Thanks
Pull off the three knobs, underneath there should be 2 screws. Remove them and pull the plastic fake aluminum trim off. Try to pull straigh or you might break the trim. Then you'd see 4 screws to remove stock headunit. Unplug and replug new head unit. *( dont' forget ground. I just screwed in on any metal of the car)
Remember in order to "replug" you need to get a wireing harness from crutchfield or anywhere. I just match all the colors and sodier them together and shrink rap the exposed wires. A wireing harness is just a make it your self adaptor to change alpine plugs to mitsubishi plugs. I also got plug and play harness for my speakers THe rear is really easy.

I meant my infinti basslink for 200 the 9815 cost me about $400. Etronics.com has good prices.

Just check for price on my mods done on my car in my registry

https://www.evolutionm.net/registry/...hicleid=995&s=

Last edited by gtr; May 14, 2003 at 10:32 AM.
Old May 14, 2003, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

not too shabby. Good write up on the install, its pretty much that simple!

For those looking for a good match interior wise, the Eclipse's are not too bad and really good quality. Well, JMHO.
Old May 14, 2003, 12:14 PM

Why install a computer? I do not want to limit myself to only playing MP3's.

-GPS Navigation
-MP3's (all multimedia files can be accessed)
-DVD's (why ruin a DVD disc when you can rip it to a file)
-WebCam (think about the usefullness of being able to record anything at any time from the inside to the outside of your car)
-Wireless Internet (need I say more)
-Spontaneous Code Idea (...ok break out the keyboard and write some code)

We all know what can be done with a computer, just add the mobility of your car. Now since you already have an LCD monitor and the wiring all hooked up for the computer, why not bring along an XBOX or PS2 along.
Old May 14, 2003, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Also OBDII logging. I want to integrate OBDII logging with GPS during track events. You'll know you lap times, speeds through each section, plus all sensor information. I have relocated my headunit to below the AC controls and making room for an LCD where the stock head unit is. The VIA ITX MBs are so cheap and small now. They make the perfect car PC.

I also will set up avantgo to sync local movie theater times, stocks , weather, and events in my area when I start my car in the morning. It will sync to my WiFi network while I'm pulling out of the garage. I can also grab the songs I want to listen to that day from my PC in my office where I archive all my MP3s. You'll also be surprised how many public WiFi accesspoints there are when you drive around too. Its really endless what you can do. I'm sure there is more.
Old May 14, 2003, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Up-grading to head unit w/MP3

Originally posted by silverEVO8
I decided to up-grade the factory CD receiver. I was going to get a CD changer of some kind, but I decided that an MP3 capable receiver would be a suitable alternative.
I've ordered an Alpine CDA-9813, it looks really goon on paper. I also ordered a wiring harness from Crutchfield so I won't be cutting the factory harness . The head unit also has a high current amp and requires 10 ga wire for the power tap. I'll use the 10 ga wire for the power that I got for the subwoofer. I guess I'll get some kind of distribution block....

Anyway, what do you people think of that head unit? Also, is there any advise of input you think I should know before I start the installation?

Thanks
I actually just installed a 9813 and relocated it. The post is https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=23316

As far as the CDA-9813, its awesome. The only thing it does not have that the 9815 has is the two line dot matrix display, i-personalize which displays some text when you turn it on, it also allows you to burn a CD with all these preconfigurations without you having to type it in from the alpine website, and it allows you to store 6 time correction settings while the 9813 only allows you to store one. Everything else is the same. You can also still use the website with the 9813 to determine your settings, its just that you have to manaully type them in instead of them automatically being set with a CD. For me I won't be changing them that much so its no big deal to me.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Up-grading to head unit w/MP3