Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Most Accurate Boost Gauge on the Market.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Exciting News
I'm getting my Defi BFs MAP checked by a tuner this week. I hope they're not off, but we'll see. IMHO, if a gauge doesn't offer warnings and playback it isn't worth my money...
My BF boost was off 2psi according to Al's data logger. You would think for the $$$ it would be dead on. Now my car reads 24psi and I'm only really at 22psi. I dont mind, as long as I never want to run alky. The guages only goes to 28psi, well now for me it really only goes to 26psi. Bummer....
Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

its hard to find a accurate gauge. but i think autometer is the closest to accurate and also defi
Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

thats just my opinion
Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

The Zeitronix unit is more than just a boost gauge, which should offset the cost. If you are using your boost gauge to monitor a manual boost controller setting, you should also be checking the AFR and EGT readings also. The Zeitronix unit allows you to do that.

Plus you can data log and see peak values.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

My autometer is off by 2 psi , i am going to be replacing it with the defi blue series that doesnt require the control box
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
There's no reason why an analog gauge can't be accurate. Whether analog or digital, they both receive a signal that is in some way proportional to the boost level. It has more to do with the sensor.
You're not going to be able to tell down to a tenth of a PSI what you're making with an analog gauge unless it's a very large gauge.

As for expense, true enough. But the title of this thread is "Most Accurate Boost Gauge on the Market", not "Most Accurate Cheap Boost Gauge"
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

i keep hearing stewart warner is the best as well. i wish they looked as nice as defi though.

ill probably just end up getting defi since everyone is saying their's is reading good though.

my friend has a supercharged 350z with an 8lb pulley on it and he showed me the gauge say 8psi on the dot. he'd have to change the belt for the psi to be different so it's reading well on the 350z at least.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 16vEVOIX
The Zeitronix unit is more than just a boost gauge, which should offset the cost. If you are using your boost gauge to monitor a manual boost controller setting, you should also be checking the AFR and EGT readings also. The Zeitronix unit allows you to do that.

Plus you can data log and see peak values.
exactly. that's why i gave props to it as an awesome unit, but it seems like the OP was interested in only a boost gauge and i'm just saying if all you want is a boost gauge, it's a bit of overkill. if you in the market for a wideband, datalogger, and boost gauge, that you can add even more parameters to, then the zeitronix is hard to beat.
as far as autometer, i've never had an autometer boost gauge that was accurate in this or any of the other cars i've owned. stewart warners mechanical boost gauges are pretty good for a mechanical gauge, but it seems like electronic gauges that read off a map sensor and self calibrate are a better choice for accuracy. and of course an LCD that reads to the 1/10th is more accurate than analog, but analogs tend to be a little more reasonable and serve the purpose for most of us.

Last edited by hondafan; Oct 30, 2006 at 11:24 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:25 AM

defi gauges al lthe way budd, i have had LTOS of them and i love them hever had one fail...
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Stewart Warner. Cheap, no frills gauge. Very accurate though. I'm running the -30 inHg/40 psi version. Not flashy or anything, but I think it looks decent.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got the stewart warner boost gauge in... had problem with it! hope to get replaced... arrow thing is getting stuck at 14 psi and wont go past... if i hit glass with my finger once or twice i jumps back to 22 psi (which is wat im supossed to be running right now) hope 42 will exchange it.. i hate waiting for parts uhhhhhhhhhh i got the -30/25 version :P
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Everyone is so hyped about Defi gauges and they seem to be no better then Autometer. Is all you are paying for the pretty light show?

Anybody have any experience with GReddy, Blitz or Apex'i gauges?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe people should be more clear about Defi gauges. The Defi-D gauges are absolute junk. The GOOD Defi's are the ones that cost $200+

I replaced my inaccurate junk Defi D with a Stewart Warner. Best decision Ive ever made. I think it looks better and it was $65!!!!!!!!

Stewart Warner is the way to go PERIOD! I wouldnt waste my time with Autometer or Defi-D, and I dont think many people want to spend hundreds on gauges, some do, some dont.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Heres My SW. My egt is on the way. No problems and they look great
Attached Thumbnails Most Accurate Boost Gauge on the Market.-pa250157-large-.jpg  
Old Oct 30, 2006, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by _EVOled_
Interesting ak...Any idea where you would apply the adhesive so it would stick properly on a straight surface?
That's going to be up to you,i can't help you with that you will have to figure that one out for yourself.

Quick Reply: Most Accurate Boost Gauge on the Market.