Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What other cars have you considered/tried before buying your Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2006, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 tahoe was a big one that i actually regret not buying, i love my evo dont get me wrong but i wish i wouldnt have bought it when i did...
Old Oct 29, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Since im moving out to Reno i was looking for something to deal with the snow so i can get up to the slopes so i was naturally looking for AWD. I looked at STi's and WRX's and almost bought a 2004 WRX but found the the Evo for a great deal. I was also looking at GSX's, but i just wasnt sure about they're ability in the snow. Also the handling was a big factor. The WRX and STi's handling was a little softer compared to the Evo. So i found a close to stock Evo and bought it. All in all the process took me about 2 months.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 92 BMW 325i before the evo...i was consdering buying a used m3 but im glad I went with the Evo IX...such a crazy car.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 09:20 PM
wj4
Evolving Member

during the time of the pursue of a new car. these were the 6 cars i looked at...
evo, sti, 350z, g35coupe, s2000, and s60r.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

I did consider buying the Ultima GTR kit after driving the Lotus Elise and being very disappointed with the engine performance. Then I realized I don't have enough garage space to assemble a car nor the patience to do it right now. So the GTR idea is shelved until I buy a house with a big garage and for now the Evo sits in my driveway just fine
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:02 PM

Had an Audi s4 before my evo, alot smoother than the evo but the power isnt there all the time like the evo. (which is also for sale ;-) http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...hreadid=101680)

ha and I also looked at a MazdaSpeed 6, what a joke of a car that was. :-)
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

my market was

EVO
STi
TL
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

I was considering:

-98 tt supra
-93 rx-7
-2005 STI

but i took my baby home instead...my evo
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by 4g63_24
I was considering:

-98 tt supra
-93 rx-7
-2005 STI

but i took my baby home instead...my evo
I would still take a 98 tt supra over my evo... been my dream car forever
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

i drove a 95 dodge spirit 3 speed auto 2 years ago till i was able to buy my first new car. i went to look at an rx 8, then 350z.
bought the 350z then learned about the sti and evo but i also liked the miata (still do) so i was torn between keeping my 350z or gettin a brand new 2006 miata, i stayed with the 350z but my dad bought an sti at that time and i loved the stiffness and quickness of it so i got really tired of my slow 350z

i wanted a new car again and was really torn between choosing an sti or an evo, but finally it was mitsubishi who gave me the deal i want on the evo

i know i should have done more research before choosing but after i bought the evo and joined evom.net and learned its capabilities i have absolutely no regrets in buying this car and this car will stay with me for as long as i live.

Last edited by alloyic_rs; Oct 29, 2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Before the Evo I had a 350z. It was pretty good, until I wanted to start modding it and it costs about half a million dollars to get any power out of it (safely, at least). I went and drove just about everything at all comparable to the Evo under 35k. Except the STI, oddly enough, even though for awhile I was dead set on the STI. I liked the looks of the STI, and my girlfriend had just gotten an 06 WRX which I liked a lot, so I figured the STI was for me. I knew the STI would be kind of an "Evo lite" which I figured I could settle for, since I had driven an Evo 8 and with my driving I didn't figure I'd notice/need the extra performance of the Evo. But then my friend got an Evo and it looks so much better in person than in pictures, the seats are 10x better than the STI, not to mention there's not blue everywhere you look. And, it's so cheap to mod compared to the STI. So that was the dealbreaker on the STI, but I did drive quite a few cars.
GTO, my friend actually got one of these after I drove it. Good raw power . . . but it feels like you're driving a 4 thousand pound couch around, and that's not for me. Plus, the modding capabilities (or lack thereof) of an NA car aren't that appealing to me right now.
The Mazda RX-8, I actually had absolutely no intention of buying this car, but I wanted to drive one. I didn't go in expecting much, but it feels like if has absolutely no power. It feels the exact same cruising at 45 as it does when you're flooring it off the line and going all the way to redline, doesn't push you into the seat at all and just feels ridiculously slow. Plus, for the price of the car and lack of power, the interior is total crap. But, the handling was nice, tight steering, feels pretty nimble.
Honda S2000 . . . . same thing as the RX-8 I thought. Didn't really have any intention of buying one, but I wanted to say I drove it. Pretty much a worthless vehicle below 7k. I don't want a car where I have to beat it upside the head just to pull into traffic. Handling was nice though, and the gearbox is very smooth.
'06 Mustang GT - I think this is the car for the person who wants to say they have a sports car, and look like they have a sports car, but have something that doesn't drive like a sports car. Doesn't feel like it has 300 horsepower, and I couldn't believe it posted better results than the Z in tests. Didn't feel any quicker. The handling is sluggish and soft. Went over a hill coming around a turn on the test drive and it felt like I was in a Cadillac. No feel for the road at all. Interior's alright, much better than older Mustangs.
BMW M3 - Drove one of these at Carmax where a friend of mine works, so I actually got to go on a pretty good test drive. This, along with the STI and Evo, was one of the three I really had my eye on. It rides pretty nicely, with a good blend of sporty tightness and comfort. I really like the sound of the M3, I think it has one of the coolest sounding engines out there. But, I wasn't as blown away when I drove it as I thought I would be. I was really disappointed by the lack of power it had down low, and it didn't seem to pull that hard when you got up high either. Dont' get me wrong, it wasn't a pig, but for what was originally a 50k car, it didn't make me want to run to a BMW dealership after I get out of graduate school.
Mazdaspeed 6 - I didn't drive this one, I rode along when my girlfriend was car shopping. Nice car, but even with the AWD it just doesn't seem to fit in the same class as the STI and Evo. But, I guess it's supposed to compete more with BMW for a combo of sportiness and comfort, which it did pretty well. Not the type of car I (or my girlfriend) were really looking for though.

Sorry for the long post, but that was my list of cars. Obviously I settled on the Evo, and I really love it. Since I got the Evo, my thoughts of not needing/using the extra performance the Evo has over the STI have gone away, and I'm itching to go to a road course to really start learning the car. Went and did some 1/4 mile runs yesterday, didn't do too bad I don't think. Ripped off a 13.08 @ 106 with just a K&N drop in.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

I traded my in RSX-S without even test driving the Evo (or any other car for that matter). I knew what I wanted. It was Evo or nothing.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had a range of cars over my lifetime None has come even close to the thrill factor of the Evo.

1) Ford Ranger 1988 - Oh my god where do you start on the horror? Lemme just say wind + water is a whole NEW driving mastery with a light truck and bad tires. Snow... just don't even think about it... Never AGAIN!! Not even practical since it barely managed the 20mpg mark and hopefully , gods willing, got to 50mph too...

2) Chevy Camaro IROC z28 1985 - Nice looking car, i happen to like its more boxy look compared to the older and newer generations. It doesn't NOT handle worth a damn, flooring the car is more likely to make it go sideways then forward. Practical? No..

3) Toyota T100 1994 - Great truck in all the sense of the word except for one small.. big problem. Gutless.. I mean like a tractor trailer climbing a 15% incline gutless. Not practical either since it averaged about 15mpg. I'm told new 3.4L motors fixed the power issue.

4) Mazda Protege 2002 - Awesome! Loved this car minus its seemingly horrible amount of power. It handled so well for a FWD car just astonishing. It has amazing nimbleness and stability. I've done 100+ ft controlled slides in this car in the wet and its been very easy to control. It was practical too got easily 25+mpg just wished it actually had power and was RWD...

If my Mazda actually had RWD or AWD and say like another 100hp I probably would still be driving it. But thankfully salvation came my way in the form of a new job and a significant pay raise and i was able to get a car I've always considered one of the best you can find
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

being the token honda guy...

i came from a 89 Civic HB with a fully built b16...it was a fun car but was a little out of style...

then came along my 00 integra gsr...just loved the unique appearance of the car...the fun factor of this car was pretty good...

was going to get a s2000 but i think my insurance woulda bitten me in the ***...my insurance actually came down from the gsr to the evo...

i was also considering the new gti...wanted to go euro for some reason

and then test drove an a4 sline but didnt really give me that appeal like the evo did
Old Oct 30, 2006, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

I was considering

06 Exige (Too small, want something faster)
06 STi (Couldnt look at the facelift front bumper for more than 5mins)

Quick Reply: What other cars have you considered/tried before buying your Evo?