Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

$4000 dollar question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$4000 dollar question

I dunno (or I don't care) if this has been asked already before so I'll ask again (in case it was asked already)

If you got $4000 to spend, what would u do to it (in terms of car related spending)
Would you:

1) Spend performance parts for it? (If I go this route, does that mean say bye-bye to warranty? Hope not)
2) Put it in payments of the car? (it wont lower my monthly payments but it will lower the payments overall)
3) Trade the 8 and get a 9 with the $4000?

Let's see (or hear) some opinions, shall we?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

get the ix
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AZ EVO IX MR
get the ix
Problem with the IX is that my payments are gonna go up 100 more (hope my insurance stays the same though)
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
clearly the best option is put it towards the current overall payment
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
clearly the best option is put it towards the current overall payment
I was leaning more towards to that one actually
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Screw the payment. If you are clear of debt have some fun! And if you are in debt whats a few more grand?

Yeah, with this thinking you can tell where I am in the debt catagory. But still....

I would get wheels, coilovers, full exhaust, intake, boost controller, re-flash, maybe alky kit, cams (if you have an 8), lower intercooler pipe, gauges, maybe a new stereo, roll cage and harnesses, new seats.

Sh*t, I'll help you spend your money. I love doing that. My dad just got an IX and I have helped him catch up to me in the mod catagory.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by icedomin8r
Screw the payment. If you are clear of debt have some fun! And if you are in debt whats a few more grand?

Yeah, with this thinking you can tell where I am in the debt category. But still....

I would get wheels, coilovers, full exhaust, intake, boost controller, re-flash, maybe alky kit, cams (if you have an 8), lower intercooler pipe, gauges, maybe a new stereo, roll cage and harnesses, new seats.

Sh*t, I'll help you spend your money. I love doing that. My dad just got an IX and I have helped him catch up to me in the mod catagory.
Arent you're concerned about your warranty though? (if u still have it)

Plus, those mods are over $4k
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

all those mods are wayyyyy over 4k, especially if not doing the work youself, not to include a tune. what are your goals with the car? you COULD lower the monthly payments if you could re-fi and put the 4 down...
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo8zip
all those mods are wayyyyy over 4k, especially if not doing the work youself, not to include a tune. what are your goals with the car? you COULD lower the monthly payments if you could re-fi and put the 4 down...
Yep, definately way over 4k. My goals for the car is just a street and strip. TBE, high-flow or catless, UICP and LICP, some GSC's, the new 20-G and a flash should be close or a bit over 4k, noh?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:31 PM
Account Disabled

cams cam gears exhaust downpipe MBC LICP intake hardpipe coilovers tune, do not dynoflash.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

depends on the parts and what kind of deals you can get...have to figure in a tune and labor also unless doing it yourself. cams = ~300, turbo im not sure. you're gonna need a fuel pump also. and with a bigger turbo some bigger injectors so theres another 300 or so. dyno tune from Al on Buschurs dyno was 350.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo8zip
depends on the parts and what kind of deals you can get...have to figure in a tune and labor also unless doing it yourself. cams = ~300, turbo im not sure. you're gonna need a fuel pump also. and with a bigger turbo some bigger injectors so theres another 300 or so. dyno tune from Al on Buschurs dyno was 350.
Yea, forgot about the fuel pump too (whew) Thanx for reminding me that

Originally Posted by TogueMonster
cams cam gears exhaust downpipe MBC LICP intake hardpipe coilovers tune, do not dynoflash.
(Makes a cliff note on do not dynoflash). As for the coilover option, i think ill pass on that one. Thanx anyways

(That is, if i decide to go the performance route)
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8URV8
I dunno (or I don't care) if this has been asked already before so I'll ask again (in case it was asked already)

If you got $4000 to spend, what would u do to it (in terms of car related spending)
Would you:

1) Spend performance parts for it? (If I go this route, does that mean say bye-bye to warranty? Hope not)
2) Put it in payments of the car? (it wont lower my monthly payments but it will lower the payments overall)
3) Trade the 8 and get a 9 with the $4000?

Let's see (or hear) some opinions, shall we?
1. No performance parts. Mitsubishi is stingy regarding the warranty as is.

2. This will not lower your monthly payments unless you refinance.

3. You will come out upside down on your payments by upgrading to a IX unless you have a 2003 model, which is at least halfway paid off.

I would check to see what the APR would be on a refinance, or save your $4000 and put it towards a downpayment on a home if you don't already have your own.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

no prob as far as not going with dynoflashing, would you like to elaborate on that one TM?? my car is tuned by Al. a very good friend of mine's VIII MR is tuned by Al and his IX has a mail in flash...and we are very happy with the results. NOT saying he is the best, but i AM happy with it.

edit: this is not to get into an argument. im asking you to give what information you have so the OP can be well informed before spending his money
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
1. No performance parts. Mitsubishi is stingy regarding the warranty as is.

2. This will not lower your monthly payments unless you refinance.

3. You will come out upside down on your payments by upgrading to a IX unless you have a 2003 model, which is at least halfway paid off.

I would check to see what the APR would be on a refinance, or save your $4000 and put it towards a downpayment on a home if you don't already have your own.
My Evo is a 05 model with SSL. I know that it wouldnt not lower my monthly payments but it would lower it overall. I got 2 sides of 2 local dealerships regarding modding and warranty so I dunno who to believe