Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

mods + boost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mods + boost

I tried searching but i couldn't find a definitive level of boost to my mods list, so i decided to post

2006 JDM IX GSR (6 speed)
currently stock, hopefully in 2 weeks time: 3" AMS TBE w/TP, K&N drop in filter, AMS LICP and a JESTRE Flash.

93 OCTANE

Question: What should i set my Greddy EBC at? i was thinking 23psi. Would i need a Walbro fuel pump for 23psi? What do u guys suggest my boost should be at before it tapers down?

I know this is between me and my tuner, but i was wondering what the evo community thinks as well. I need to know before i send my ECU so i could ask John to tune me for that specific boost.

Thanks!
btw: did a lot of searching, couldn't find the exact mod list as mine on 93 OCT. i'll be getting a boost, EGT, oil pressure and AFR gauge.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

id say get the fuel pump and put on your mod list, then get a tune it should be good for 22-23. Keep the stock intake, its the best.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:45 AM

Id say 22 psi to be safe.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

I'd say stay around 22....with a stock fuel pump. Get some head studs and you can run some more with a fuel pump.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:52 AM

Just ask John. He has a lot of experience with Evos and will know what boost levels are acceptable. In addition, he will let you log the car after you flashed his map and then send you another map with corrections to it.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

im running 23 psi on HI boost and 18 on Low boost. and i have 660cc injectors walbro 255lph fuel pump. and a apexi safc-2 and im googd to go.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

but thats just my flava. i like the extra 3 psi from stock
Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TycoRacing702
im running 23 psi on HI boost and 18 on Low boost. and i have 660cc injectors walbro 255lph fuel pump. and a apexi safc-2 and im googd to go.
That's not relevant to his question:

1) You have an VIII and he has a IX - big difference in the level of boost that is safe

2) You have no need for 660 injectors whatsoever, and he won't be using them, so no correlation

3) You have an SAFC that has no timing control, is very crude, and does not allow for the 23psi you're running on 93oct due to how it advances timing when you remove fuel, and with injectors+pump, you are removing a lot of fuel. That is not a very good idea at all.

OP, 22psi would be good, but do what John says. Btw, you should not be sending your ECU from Kuwait. You should just be getting an e-flash through email...
Old Oct 30, 2006, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

^
thanks for taking the time to post. I was thinking 22psi would be fine without the fuel pump. i'll ask John about it after i get all my parts (should be ordering tomorrow).

you have no idea how i'd love to do the e-flash. Just never done this kind of thing before (hooking up laptop and all) and i'm afraid i'll **** up or something.

I did a search and found out some tuners had trouble getting into a JDM ecu. I'd be more comfortable being without a car for a week or so rather then doing it myself - atleast for the first time.