Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why Is The Evo So Great?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
google,

You have to understand that even though you are excelling in the world and making tons of money, your situation doesn't apply to everyone. We are on this forum (for the most part) because we all love our evo's....

When you make comments like you have in the last few posts............you have to understand you're going to get some hostility from the other members...........

Especially when the title of the thread is "Why is the evo so great?"..............
Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Rez-- I knew I was going to get hostility from others when I initiated my comments. I just wanted to share another experience and perspective from a former Evo owner.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Google
Rez-- I knew I was going to get hostility from others when I initiated my comments. I just wanted to share another experience and perspective from a former Evo owner.
Coming from someone who had their first evo stolen and then vandalized within one year...........your perspective is clearly understood.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry for your experience Rez.

Last edited by Google; Nov 4, 2006 at 08:08 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 08:28 AM

because I used to own subaru
Old Nov 4, 2006, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually have a new E55 AMG, and at least the same credentials as yourself in the business world, albeit with a few less years of experience. Fear is not what brought me back, but rather the post-Evo experience of buying and owning great cars in relation.

My wife and I still recall the experience of being involved in a minor hit and run accident, and the amount of articulate conversation it took to finally convince the officer that we were the victims simply because of the car we were driving. My wife and I were coming back from a nice dinner, so our attire and appearance were not a factor. I'm glad the all the hedgies, bankers in Northern Cal are so open minded, but I guess that's the California experience. Here in 06830, the Evo does not garner respect. My comment regarding F&F was simply directed at you because all you care about is dynamic performance. I want my car to excel at more than the performance columns of a review. I can also do without the 1980s econobox interior.

Why does the performance part on its own matter so much? Do you still derive pleasure in being faster than the car in the next lane after being in the business world for 10 years?
It's not about being faster than the car next to me, it's about the pure pleasure feeling the car pull Gs through turns like it's on rails, and rocket forward between turns like it's pulled by a nuclear powered electromagnet. I'm a former collegiate alpine ski racer--CU Boulder. I lusted after a great interior when I was younger, and loved the nappa leather interior, SMG, premium sound and nav on my M3. As I get older I place less importance on those things. They just add weight. My Evo is very comfortable and bare bones--no sunroof or leather. My dream car is something stripped down and extremely powerful like a GT2 with Gemballa mods or an M3 GTR. Who am I kidding, it's a McClaren F1!
Old Nov 4, 2006, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

evo vs subaru

many ppl have a dilemma over choosing which car to get btwn a evo and a sti, personally, through experience, i know for a fact that evo is the top ****. one of my buddy as a MR evo w/ evo 9 stock turbo, set to 21 psi, turboback exhaust, o2 housing, camshaft and a reflash. i got a another buddy with an sti, who traded his evo for an sti because it had methanol injection, turboback exhaust, upgraded intercooler, bigger o2 and manifold, bigger turbo, reflash, and lots more especially raising his boost to 25psi+... my evo buddy and the sti buddy finally raced to see who would win. obviously you would think the STI would win because he's got so many upgraded parts, but turns out they were dead even. so at this moment, think about who's got more potential btwn sti and evo...
Old Nov 4, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlueIX
Puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it, no matter how pissed I am.
quoted for truth.

Evo...ultimate mix of performance(great tuning platform) and practicality.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

I can definitely understand buying a new E55. However, recommending a used German isn't very good advice when talking about reliability.

And if you wanted a true combination of sports and comfort, you'd be in a 997, but I digress.

I test drove an Evo IX today and it was truly awesome. However, I don't see myself in one in 10 years (I'm 24) when I'm making considerably more, so I totally understand your opinion.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

I don't miss the Evo at all evo_rc. Nor does my wife. Once your career starts to move to the upper echelons of high finance, the social circles have no respect for the Evo.
P U K E ! ! !

This guy is a troll right?

I can't even think of where to begin on this! Good luck in your career, I'm glad your Evo had a chance at another owner.

You may be making more money, but it's pretty plain that you didn't have to grow up much to do it.

" ... the social circles " OMG

yes 101 U. Wannabe Lane

Ughhh

(sorry for the vent)
Old Nov 4, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lbcevo
Google, people who are truly players in "the upper echelons of high finance" don't speak like you do, and don't care what "the social circles think". I know several major Hedge Fund Managers, VCs and Investment Bankers who own crazy modded imports and other customized sports cars. They're independent thinkers, interesting people, and have more money than they will ever be able to spend. I have an MBA from UCLA with a concentration in Finance and Strategy, and a career of over 10 years of Marketing in Silicon Valley and So Cal, from high tech client side to Fortune 500 mktg strat, agency side. You're being narrow minded to assume I'm a kid, but I do like F&F I. Great cinematography and direction by Singleton. Stupid movies, but fun to watch.

If you were such a player, you denfinitely wouldn't worry about blown motors and warranty issues. You'd have enough money to just fix it. You'd also be driving a modded 993 or 996 TT, or a Modena, not a used E55. Lol!

You're a hater, plain and simple, or you wouldn't have bothered coming back on this forum to hate on the Evo. Your fear of what peoplle think, fear of cops, fear of blown motors, is getting the better of you. Let it go.
I work in private banking and deal with people in the "upper levels of high finance" on a daily basis. Many of them are just wealthy individuals to celebrities, I have many clients who are millionaires with millions sitting in their account earning more interest than I'll ever make in a year or even a lifetime....which is sad, some of these people are real nice, but a huge chunk of them are snobbish, spoiled, cocky arrogant bastards....

On the other hand, I figure if you are that wealthy you can afford to be cocky and arrogant, you can treat people like SH*** and act like its normal and get away with it. At times when I come across rich snobby people like this I hate my job because these people have someone to do everything for them, spoon feed them, etc etc....

I was brought up to treat people with respect and dignity, whether they were better off or worse than I am.....the thing that gets me about some of these wealthy people "in upper echelons of high finance" is their need to brag about their wealth and possessions.....but what the heck, I have to swallow my pride and cater to these wealthy bastards because my company is paying me to do my job.

but all in all when we die, all the wealth we have and cars we drive isnt gonna matter anymore....
Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

LBC, we've gotten back on track and I guess you and I just don't see eye to eye. I don't want a car that is stripped down and handles on rails. I just don't get enough opportunity on a daily basis. I'd still consider myself a thrill seeker, but at the end of the day I want a car to keep me semi-pampered and not pounding my kidneys, and yet can pull away from 99% of the cars when traffic breaks.

Five years ago, all I wanted was the best performance bang for the buck. The Evo pulls 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and handles on par with all but the Exige and other higher end exotics. I learned over time that I couldn't even make a cell phone call on a stock Evo with the roar coming from the tires and a lack of adequate noise dampening. I need a car that does it all. This is also the reason I have avoided Porsche at this stage of my life due to a dearth of storage and rear seats/doors. That may come down the road, when I'm not working 70 hrs a week and spending the remainder of time with my family. It's far better I commit some capital to retirement, since compounding each additional year goes a long way.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:31 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Why does the performance part on its own matter so much? Do you still derive pleasure in being faster than the car in the next lane after being in the business world for 10 years?
It matters, because some of us enjoy practicing the art of high-performance driving. It's not about being faster than the next guy. As hard as it may be for you to comprehend, not everyone buys cars to impress others.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FJF
It matters, because some of us enjoy practicing the art of high-performance driving. It's not about being faster than the next guy. As hard as it may be for you to comprehend, not everyone buys cars to impress others.
+10000!!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:22 AM

I can see the car parked in my garage is the same car that get driven hard and jumped in Finland in Production WRC, you can't see that in a Civic!