Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

propeller shaft binding up?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:23 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
propeller shaft binding up?

ok im not really 100% sure that this is causing my problems but i took my propeller shaft of today because one of my carrier bearings is worn and the boot on my LJ joint has been busted open for a while now....but before i took it home i was driving and it felt like my driveshaft was binding up so i got it towed home....now could it just be from my driveshaft having alot of play in it that maybe it cause my shaft to bind up? also when it started to bind my car started to shake really bad.....kinda felt like my driveshaft was way off balance.. any info would be great...
thanks...
Old Nov 3, 2006, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Well an intact boot is not an accessory and you can't drive the car with it holed without damage. So, pull the driveshaft and take it some place for repair.

BTW, bending the driveshaft too much at this joint when it is off the car is what cuts the boot. I mount a jig made out of conduit and a couple of large hose clamps to hold the driveshaft straight while I am in the process of pulling it. The service manual recommends stuffing in a shop cloth to do the same thing.

Anyway, the bill will be an ouch. Bring money.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you really talking about the drive shaft? It sounds like you are talking about the axles.

If you are talking about the driveshaft (runs from front to rear), then you probably did not put it back together exactly how it came apart and it is now out of balance. All pieces need to be bolted together in the same orientation they came off.

If you are talking about the axle (runs from tranny/tcase or rear diff to the wheels), your CV joint is probably shot and needs replaced . . .

Good luck with your repair. Time spent repairing is not nearly as fun as time spent modding, but it has to be done . . .

EVOlutionary
Old Nov 6, 2006, 07:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok maybe you dont understand what im saying, and yes im talking about my driveshaft....i never took it off and put it back on so theres no way i could have put it on wrong. i pulled it off an its sitting in my garage and im waiting on the new parts to get here...