Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Removed wing, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2006, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadSpike
LOL +1

The rust is probably the bolt that held the wing right? If so take a little polishing compound to it and get to work. It shouldn't take to long to get the rusty deposit out of the pores in the paint surface.
Well suprisingly enought the rust is not even near a bolt. There was nothing touching that area. If you have ever taken off the wing there is a small hole at the base of the wing towards the rear of the car, this is exactly where the rust spot it directly beneath it. It's out there in it own. I could probably understand more if it ws starting near a predrilled hole and the painted chipped but it's not.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

dude its pretty obvious...no matter how much you discuss it, youre going to have to remove your boot panel, take it to a crash repairer for the repair work (or do the sanding/rust removal/filling/smooth/repainting yourself if youre able to do it professionally). Then when you get the boot lid back perfect this time, refit the spoiler. see if you can plug any holes that will encourage water retention etc and try and do anything possible you can think of when mounting spoiler to prevent rust occurence in that spot.

curse mitsi QC, then move on

i have had half the car resprayed in an effort to make the paint thicker in spots, esp the front end (heaps more clear on too) because sheesh mitsi really went light on the paint huh! looks great now tho.

also when the repairer works on your boot panel you need to choose then and there whether youre having spoiler or not. because if not, you need to have repairer fill and smooth the holes for spoiler so that no water can get in or collect/form.
or u run those rubber stoppers and run risks just for indecision,

or leave holes and remount spoiler=best option!

Trav
Old Nov 6, 2006, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

simple, put it back on
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Isn't the trunk aluminum?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could just put the wing back on and make the car complete. Evos without wings look really out of proportion. For example, it's like making your car... a standard lancer.

Tj
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

I have that phantom rust spot too.. but on the other side. Kind of pisses me off, dealer says no go I figure either it's going to be sanded down in the future, or going CF!
Old Nov 6, 2006, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Where is the rust coming from? The lid is aluminum.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Where is the rust coming from? The lid is aluminum.
Nope sorry. Only thing aluminum on a gsr is the hood and front fenders, on the MR the roof is aluminum too but no trunk.

As for all of you saying put it back on or wingless is ugly, I already stated that I don't want your opinion. If I wanted an opinion it would have been a completely different thread. There is actually a great thread started of how good the wingless look it and it's pretty lengthy however I guess most of you fall into the norm and can't make a decision for yourself.

If I put the wing back on the rust spot will get bigger and bigger. If I would have kept the wing on and never took it off in the 1st place then I will be singing a different tune in a couple years when it shows it's ugly face from beneath the wing.

rice_rocket88, there is actually another member on here who didn't touch his wing and the rust spot grew to the size of a baseball on his trunk and was very noticable with the wing on, however the dealer will replace it. I called my dealer today and explained the situation to them and they said bring it in and they will take pictures of it to send to the district rep. I will keep you guys posted on the results.

The problem is that some of you hear so many horror stories and choose to leave problems alone or fix it yourself. It doesn't matter how many mods you have on the car when it has to do with paint. A car with 12k on it and less than a year old should not develope rust from beneath the paint. I paid $32k for my car and I will not let that stand.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

can u write up how u took off the wing?

i wanted to do it but theres no how to's on it
Old Nov 6, 2006, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, but my car is an 03 with 42K on it now... thankfully the spot didn't grow any larger. Mitsu basically black-balled me and didn't give any warranty on that spot, nor the fading wing. My calipers may start to go too.. but I am thinking it won't be covered as well
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
Yes, but my car is an 03 with 42K on it now... thankfully the spot didn't grow any larger. Mitsu basically black-balled me and didn't give any warranty on that spot, nor the fading wing. My calipers may start to go too.. but I am thinking it won't be covered as well
I would go to a different dealer if I were you....

As far as removing the wing all you need to do is open the trunk and remove the 1st set of obvious bolts that hold the wing to the trunk. There are also rubber bump stops that also need to be removed on both sides and they are right above the other bolts. Underneath those bump stops is a 2nd set of bolts that you need to remove. That all the bolts you need to remove. Then you need to get your self some fishing wire and either heat of the bottom of the wing with a blow dryer or you can use some safe adhesive remover like goo gone. Make sure it's goo gone and not "goof off" because it's much safer on paint. I had the trunk open while doing this and squirted the goo gone where the wing meets the trunk starting at the top so it worked it's way to the bottom. Once that's done grab the fishing wire and slice it through the base of the wing as if you were removing an emblem. You have to get it from both sides. Once that's completed just pull. Make sure you pull the wing straight up because there will be one plastic snap tab on both sides so you don't want to break it. Done
Old Nov 7, 2006, 02:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think the wong really makes it look like an evo and stand apart
wingless looks like another normal lancer
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by riceball777
i think the wong really makes it look like an evo and stand apart
wingless looks like another normal lancer
you also a gigantic bullseye for any young punk in a slow *** honda and most importantly the police. Some peopel don't like to stnad out but once again thanks for a useless opinion! This board never ceases to amaze me.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:53 AM

Talking

lol any of these boards never stop amazing me
Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
you also a gigantic bullseye for any young punk in a slow *** honda and most importantly the police. Some peopel don't like to stnad out but once again thanks for a useless opinion! This board never ceases to amaze me.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:00 PM

DSMEVOLUTION, I have an 06' IX SE and I am thinking of taking my wing off as well. Do you have any pics of your trunk with the wing off? I would like to see what holes are left. I have heard anywhere from 4 to 6. Thx!