Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Removed wing, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or anyone.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by riceball777
i think the wong really makes it look like an evo and stand apart
wingless looks like another normal lancer
Man DSMEVOLUTION... it's almost like we sometimes live in an alternate reality where common sense and reasoning does not exist! It's like talking to a few brick walls. You ask one question and it get's repeatedly replied to with some persons totally unrelated opinion.... and you still never got a good answer. How frustrating.

Anyway, I was worried as well when you said that you used Goo Gone. I had a horror story when I used Goof Off... it ate the **** out of my paint on my motorcycle. I would stay away from any corrosive chemical... but what's done is done. Now you need a fix. I would simply reccommend using a good cleaner wax, followed by a clay bar treatment, followed by a couple coats of polish, followed by some good wax. You could possibly go so far as to wet sand the paint... but that should probably be left to an experienced guy and if you are asking about how to fix scratches... well ya know.

Good luck man. I took my wing off and I like it a lot. I just wish that I could find some RS dude that would have liked to trade trunks (or boots) with me. The only thing is that I would want it on again for trackdays... only trackdays. I hate the attention from friggin ricers and cops that the wing attracts as well.

Last edited by Mmelmann; Nov 30, 2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

My holes are covered up with some matching white electrical tape.

Ghetto fabulouso.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mmelmann
My holes are covered up with some matching white electrical tape.

Ghetto fabulouso.

How many holes do you have in your trunk? Thx.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you dont have to cover the holes....they have guides in them which make the water bead to the side of the trunk....try and pour water in the hole it will just come out the side of your trunk lid
Old Nov 30, 2006, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by daisaw1219
you dont have to cover the holes....they have guides in them which make the water bead to the side of the trunk....try and pour water in the hole it will just come out the side of your trunk lid
Eeeeenteresting.

To the question about how many holes there are: 6 total; 4 holes (two for each side) with 2 guide holes (for the male guide part that is part of the wing) in between the two holes on each side. And actually, there is one oddball hole on the back right corner of the trunk that is plugged up already from the factory. I don't know what it's purpose was... maybe for some sort of antennae? I don't know.

The guide ports (whatever they are called) have a raised plastic insert that aren't flush with the trunk. It stands out the most when I try to cover it up with some electrical tape.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The other hole is for the 3rd brake light wire on the low wing.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

just leave the wing on or swap someone for a rs, lancer trunk
Old Nov 30, 2006, 08:46 PM

Thx, think I will keep it on till I can get another trunk lid.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I hear you man. Anyways Mmelmann is right, there are 3 holes on each side. However the right side technically has 4 but the 4th is covered up. The goo gone did not mess up the paint at all. It's actually completely harmless. I can see how goof off would take off the paint because that is like a thinner. Goo gone is almost like orange clean. The marks under the wing were from the double sided adhesive that almost left a watermark effect on the paint. I got some 3m rubbing compound (the very mild 1500 grit that says it's safe on clearcoat) and went over the areas a few times and it all came off and looked like new. However there is still the rust spot. I do like the wingless look but the rust spot just bothered me so I put touch up paint on the rust and put the wing back on. I think I might invest in a cf trunk soon because I love the way it looks combined with a cf hood.

Originally Posted by Mmelmann
Man DSMEVOLUTION... it's almost like we sometimes live in an alternate reality where common sense and reasoning does not exist! It's like talking to a few brick walls. You ask one question and it get's repeatedly replied to with some persons totally unrelated opinion.... and you still never got a good answer. How frustrating.

Anyway, I was worried as well when you said that you used Goo Gone. I had a horror story when I used Goof Off... it ate the **** out of my paint on my motorcycle. I would stay away from any corrosive chemical... but what's done is done. Now you need a fix. I would simply reccommend using a good cleaner wax, followed by a clay bar treatment, followed by a couple coats of polish, followed by some good wax. You could possibly go so far as to wet sand the paint... but that should probably be left to an experienced guy and if you are asking about how to fix scratches... well ya know.

Good luck man. I took my wing off and I like it a lot. I just wish that I could find some RS dude that would have liked to trade trunks (or boots) with me. The only thing is that I would want it on again for trackdays... only trackdays. I hate the attention from friggin ricers and cops that the wing attracts as well.