Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Removed wing, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removed wing, what would you do?

So I finally decided to go wingless today. I also just bought some new evo 9 rims to use as my winter wheels by adding some Continental Extremes. I like the wingless look, it's definitely different but i think I will only do it for the winter. Anyways removing the wing was a 15 minute job with some goo gone and fishing wire. Once I removed the wing I cleaned everything up and waxed the surface. My concern is that the surface looks like crap. The car only has 12k on it and is less than a year old. There are a bunch of fine scratches where the wing used to be and scratch x would not take it out. I plugged up all the holes with plastic caps I bought at Pepboys sealed with rtv silicone for added protection and securness. My major concern even over the fine scrathes is the spot of rust where the wing used to sit. It is not near a hole at all and it's definitely out there on it's own so it's hard to tell what might have caused it because nothing was touching there. The spot is as big as an eraser head and the paint is bubbled around it. Now with the wing on you can't tell it's there but the spot will get bigger through time. What should I do? Bring it to the dealer even though the wing is off? I'm kinda glad I noticed it in advance before it spread. BTW the spot is on the passenger side where the base of the winf flares out toawrds the rear of the car. Also are all the fine scratches normal too?
Old Nov 4, 2006, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
goo gone might have made it worst... I am guessing...
Old Nov 4, 2006, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
You want to see rust? Take off your rear bumper and crash beam. Theres rust for ya
Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Top_End_EVO
goo gone might have made it worst... I am guessing...
Goo gone would have nothing to do with rust or scratches. Goo gone is completely safe for paint, it's what most people use to remove emblems because it's like orange clean. Now if it was goof off it probably would have taken off my clearcoat.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
You want to see rust? Take off your rear bumper and crash beam. Theres rust for ya
Ok... I really don't know what to say to that comment. Of course there is rust in places we can see with bare metal. If you want to see rust look at your exhaust manifold. I'm talking about on my trunk where paint should be. There should be no rust there at all.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
put a little touch up paint over the spot or sand down the trunk, get the holes filled and repaint the whole thing. That will take care of your scratches, holes, and rust spot all in one. Shouldnt cost you more than a couple hundred
Old Nov 4, 2006, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
put a little touch up paint over the spot or sand down the trunk, get the holes filled and repaint the whole thing. That will take care of your scratches, holes, and rust spot all in one. Shouldnt cost you more than a couple hundred
The wingless look is not going to be permanent for me.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
The wingless look is not going to be permanent for me.
Then live with it . Unless you want to pay to have it fixed, live with it. By the way, taking the wing off of an Evo ruins the cars look, in my opinoin

Tj
Old Nov 4, 2006, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

^sure does
Old Nov 4, 2006, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=232583

similar prob here....i was thinking about going wingless too, but got this checked out haven't heard word yet, but monday i'll call them for sure...but i think goo gone did you wrong
Old Nov 4, 2006, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dont Try To Run
Then live with it . Unless you want to pay to have it fixed, live with it. By the way, taking the wing off of an Evo ruins the cars look, in my opinoin

Tj
i agree i went wingless for a lil to get my c/f re cleared..... didnt like it at all.....
Old Nov 5, 2006, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akemi27
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=232583

similar prob here....i was thinking about going wingless too, but got this checked out haven't heard word yet, but monday i'll call them for sure...but i think goo gone did you wrong
Wow that's exactly where my rust spot it, however it has not grown to that size as of yet to show up when the wing is on. However I would like you to tell me how goo gone has did me wrong. I need proof because the areas where my wing used to sit is a bit faded because of the tape that was on there and you can see an outline of where the tape was. Goo gone would have nothing to do with that or the scratches since it is not abrasive. Most people use goo gone to take stickers off there car. It is completely harmless as long as you wipe it off, I would let it sit. Mequires even recommends it on there website to take off tree sap. I think your confusing it with goof off which is very harsh and it almost identical to paint thinner or dry cleaning fluid. Goo gone is a citrus cleaning agent.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dont Try To Run

Tj
Well guess what??????????????????????????????????????????? I don't care about your opinion and I don't know who would care since it seems that you don't even drive an evo. I'm talking about the rust more than anything else. A car that's not even a year old should not have rust especially in a spot that has been covered the entire time.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well guess what??????????????????????????????????????????? I don't care about your opinion and I don't know who would care since it seems that you don't even drive an evo. I'm talking about the rust more than anything else. A car that's not even a year old should not have rust especially in a spot that has been covered the entire time.
LOL +1

The rust is probably the bolt that held the wing right? If so take a little polishing compound to it and get to work. It shouldn't take to long to get the rusty deposit out of the pores in the paint surface.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Oh, i want to help you SOOO much.