Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Relocated Evo Headunit Pics

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2003, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relocated Evo Headunit Pics

Just thought I would share some pics. I relocated and upgraded my headunit. I replaced the lower cubby with the headunit. Its an Alpine CDA-9813. The screen tilt function is nice. It makes it easier to read and adjust. I love being able to mess with the stereo without having to move my hand far from the shifter. The stock headunit is still in place just covering the hole right now. I plan to put an LCD screen where the stock head unit is for my car pc. If I end up ditching the car pc idea, I will put some gauges there.

Here are some pics:
Screen Tilted

Screen Flat

Screen Flat

Screen Tilted
Old May 14, 2003, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

looks good... did you do the install yourself? how long did it take and was it easy?

tnx
Old May 14, 2003, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

pics dont work here
Old May 14, 2003, 12:20 PM

you really should take out the stock unti and put some gauges there.
Old May 14, 2003, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

please PLEASE let me know what the part number for the adaptor was, and how much it cost. it looks REALLY GOOD and i've been wanting to do that for some time now, but NO-ONE, including my dealer, seems to know where to get that HU relocating piece, or how much it costs.

THANK YOU!

Old May 14, 2003, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by lostgallio
you really should take out the stock unti and put some gauges there.
I'm planning on putting an LCD there for my car PC.
Old May 14, 2003, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jotan82
looks good... did you do the install yourself? how long did it take and was it easy?

tnx
Yeah I did the work myself. The only thing that took time was soldering the Mitsu harness to the Alpine harness. It took my about 30 minutes to solder, I like to do a good job, and about 20 minutes to physically install the headunit. Its real easy. I also did NOT run a seperate wire from the battery to the headunit. I plan on doing that this weekend. I just wanted to get it in there and make sure I was happy with the 9813, which I am. The Alpine headunit has a 15 amp inline fuse. The line I am drawing current from is also on a 15 amp fuse in the fuse box. The other devices that share the 15 amp fuse from the stock fuse box draw minimal current. I am really not too worried about it.

The pain in the *** was wiring the subwoofer. I had to get power directly off the battery. Getting that wire through the firewall was a pain in the ***. I ended up doing what someone else did hear on the forum. There is a group of wires that pass from above the dead pedal out into the quarter panel. I needed the pass through to be on the driver side because I had already run my RCA cables under the passenger side sill panels. Once I got the remote signal and power to the trunk, it was pretty easy from there.

I was so frustrated getting my power wire through the firewall, that I decided to wait to tap the power for the headunit. I was getting tired.
Old May 14, 2003, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

smanders

did you get the HU adaptor, or mud the bottom cup? if you got an adaptor, how much, from where, and what part #? thanks.
Evolving Member

Originally posted by purecoda
please PLEASE let me know what the part number for the adaptor was, and how much it cost. it looks REALLY GOOD and i've been wanting to do that for some time now, but NO-ONE, including my dealer, seems to know where to get that HU relocating piece, or how much it costs.

THANK YOU!

It fits perfect.

MZ598263EX Install Kit+ Cd C

Order it from http://www.mitsubishiparts.net. So far, they have had the cheapest prices yet.

The dealer charges $69.22 while http://www.mitsubishiparts.net charges $52.83. Shipping was a flat $7 or so. Go ahead and order some more parts to get your money's worth from the shipping.

Here' my list:
ALN02CNB01 Net+ Cargo $29.00 $24.13
MZ525554EX Knob+ Shift+ Silver $112.50 $85.72
MZ360061EX Cover+ Scuff Plat $92.44 $70.45
A990WL2C02 > Wheel Lock+ 4pc+ $24.84 $20.51
MZ555004EX Air Guide+ Brake $148.78 $113.37

IM kinda confused....why is there 2 head units? Why not just put the Alpine where the stock is? I think it looks good down there, but I am just curious.

EDIT:
I just read the first post again, i didnt know you were going to put a LCD in the stock place. Anyway, it looks good.

Last edited by Espo; May 14, 2003 at 12:48 PM.
Old May 14, 2003, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

THANK YOU!

Old May 14, 2003, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by purecoda
smanders

did you get the HU adaptor, or mud the bottom cup? if you got an adaptor, how much, from where, and what part #? thanks.
EDIT: I just read your post again. I thought you meant the wiring harness. I guess I already answered your question. I'll leave this just for more info.

I went to BestBuy and bought the harness there. They already knew the part I needed for the Evo. Aparently its been the same harness for all mitsu's for the last 4 years or so. I paid $18 for it. That seemed a little high to me, but I wanted it that day and did not feel like shopping around. The bag it came in is at home, but I'll post tonight or tomorrow the exact part #.

I really wanted to use a harness this time. My two previous cars I just spliced and cut wires and it always ended up a pain in the ***. I always said I was going to just sell the car with the equipment, but both times I ended up removing it and putting the stock stuff back in. Now the Evo I plan to keep a long, long time but you never know.

Last edited by smanders; May 14, 2003 at 12:53 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

i just called mitsubishi, i got them to bring it down to 55
i know this is an old post, but i thought id mention it