Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Convince me NOT to sell my EVO MR...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2006, 10:40 PM
.MM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convince me NOT to sell my EVO MR...

ok, well recently i put my IX MR up for sale

reason:

with gas, car payments, insurance and oil changes and etc, the EVO costs me over a $1000/month

my initial loan was 29,500
i currently owe about 25,500

i make about 45k/year

Basically, right now i live at home, pay 300/month for rent and then i pay for the car.

i cant stay at my rents house much longer, im 23 and they keep saying i need to think about getting my own place, which i agree.

i really cant afford an Apartment right now and afford to keep the EVO.

Initial Ideas:

refinance evo, get apartment in about a year

or

sell evo, get a cheaper sporty used car, get apartment now

new idea:

sell the evo, save up serious money, put deposit on a condo or house in about a year or 1.5 years

Conclusion:

i love the evo
i hate the idea of getting a slow car
i think the evo is WAY too expensive for me, since i dont have a college degree, only make 45k a year and have to move on with life and get a place to live

does anyone have any suggestions??

i KNOW this is ultimately my own decision and i know this thread is kinda silly and rambles on, but i want to get peoples decision

the evo is costly to keep up with, and im having my doubts and thinking that the evo is just too expensive for me to deal with at this point in life, but who knows...

sorry for the lame long post

NOTE: i also dont want to be renting my whole life, AKA, i want a house someday
Old Nov 4, 2006, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you are right on track!! It's not the EVO it's anything that will soak up that much of you're income. I would definately sell buy a beater and wait until I was more financially equipped to buy a 30k car.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Let go of evo...patience will pay...better cars coming in future.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

FWIW I used to live on the east coast...Here in california, kids move out at 17! Back east where my family hails from (RI) it's different...family is more respected there. After you graduate high school on the east coast, you move out of the house. You actually move downstairs to the cellar! I am 32 years of age, and make 60k a year. I also pay $977.00 a month in child support for my 2 year old son! Moral to the story is,....the evo is probably your dream car... Get a second part time job, an easy one of course...either way..... IF YOU WANT SOMETHING BAD ENOUGH IN LIFE, YOU WILL DO ANYTHING FOR IT!
Old Nov 4, 2006, 11:09 PM
Yur
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63 T
Let go of evo...patience will pay...better cars coming in future.
+1
Old Nov 4, 2006, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Online marketing my friend... Online marketing=D
Old Nov 4, 2006, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

I suggest you take care of the other things first, I may have to sell my evo soon because i'm going to med school or some type of grad school, no matter how you love it, you got to realize what is more important, trust me there will still be one with your name on it when you want one bro...

Last edited by 4g63_24; Nov 4, 2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, get a cable and reflash your map to a better MPG...I know of people getting 50-75 miles more per tank afterwards... I had mine done for the highway "loads"...i scored about 5 more mpg on the highway..
Old Nov 4, 2006, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

I think somehow you're spending too much money...

Can you get a different loan perhaps? Even on a 25K loan for me it's like $500 a month. Insurance is only $150 a month for two cars for me.. and gas totals it up to 150 a month or so as well. Of course, I rolled it into mortgage payments, so it chopped down the payments to like $200 a month.

Sure you can buy a cheaper car and save some money. Some of us aren't making much more, or even less than you, but manage to juggle house payments and children.

Where there is a will, there is a way. It might be easier for you to save up some money.. and heck, even get an 03 evo for much cheaper.

Or, you could go buy a DSM and have something similar, and much much cheaper. Just depends if you beat the snot out of it and have to fix everything all the time.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

i don't know why you're having trouble...my evo loan was like 36,000+ and i pay $715 a month for a house payment...i make about the same as you per year....what are you spending your money on?.....how long is your loan...that may be your problem...mine was 7 years and my payments are $575 a month at 6.99 % interest...anyway even if you only financed for 5 years your rent is still $400 cheaper than mine so it shouldn't be a problem...plus your parents are paying all the bills for you....what's up?...how much is your insurance?...mine is like $1400 a year

Last edited by kilgoja; Nov 5, 2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

Stay at home till the evo is paid
Old Nov 5, 2006, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'd say stay home and save up and pay off your evo - if not, try to find a better financer
Old Nov 5, 2006, 01:47 AM

Move into apartment w/ roommate(s), eat top ramen, drink miller lite(bud lite), cancel ****(Everquest, WoW) subscriptions... Keep Evo

or keep **** but substitute keystone for miller lite

BTW - i take home the same amount as you and pay $650 for car+insurance, $700 rent (no roommate), utilities, digital cable, etc. etc. and i have enough saved up to give my fiancee the wedding/honeymoon of her dreams. just have to learn to manage money. I did all the above stuff when i made 30,000 a year and still afforded my evo just fine.

Last edited by JohnyChimpo; Nov 5, 2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

Reality check:

If you can't afford a $30K car, how are you going to buy a house/condo? I'd sell the car, move out, and buy a beater until you have a true grasp on what your monthly income vs. expenses are.

Within say 6mo. you'll be able to tell what your limit is on a car payment, not to mention what your priorities are. Since you won't have a car payment, see if you can put aside $750 a month. If not, then I think you know your answer.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 02:09 AM

sell the evo. dont let just a car that gets into your way when you have a fiancial problem, its just not worth it. Things will be much easier for you when everything is settle. Good luck!