Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

John Shepard Goes Booooom!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2006, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ japaneese quarter miles are shorter than ours Hehe but hes definatley the fastest in the us. And before people start saying that the skyline isnt awd its got a selectable transmission/ transfer case
Old Nov 6, 2006, 09:00 PM

hate to correct you but john went 8.08 on saturday no nitrous, sunday he ran his quickest ever at 7.60 at 199.81. he knew the motor was hurt and ran it anyways to see what it would run.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 01:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hopper
^^ japaneese quarter miles are shorter than ours Hehe but hes definatley the fastest in the us. And before people start saying that the skyline isnt awd its got a selectable transmission/ transfer case
400m = 1312.332 feet so a Japanese zeroyon (0-400m) does fall slightly less than 8 feet shy of a quarter mile but that distance has nothing to do with the track in the GT-R video since QLD = Queensland, Australia.

A GT-R isn't as selectable as you are assuming. You either have to pull the fuse that controls the attessa or get an attessa controller that will allow for RWD only during burnouts. Attessa diverts power from the rear wheels to front wheels as required.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 01:56 AM
Evolved Member

that is crazy fast
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rutt
400m = 1312.332 feet so a Japanese zeroyon (0-400m) does fall slightly less than 8 feet shy of a quarter mile but that distance has nothing to do with the track in the GT-R video since QLD = Queensland, Australia.

A GT-R isn't as selectable as you are assuming. You either have to pull the fuse that controls the attessa or get an attessa controller that will allow for RWD only during burnouts. Attessa diverts power from the rear wheels to front wheels as required.
going that fast i think .01 seconds could of been covered in 8 feet heh.

Technically, they are both the fastest shepard on a us scale and mcgregor's on jap scale.

if i misunderstood and they are both us scaled 1/4mile times then I say a battle of the imports needs to be run with these two to decide.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Props to John Sheppard!! Amazing!
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by shawnevo69
Well tonight at MIR raceway in Maryland, they were having imports vs. domestics
They had bunch of different classes and stuff. well john shepard has his good car out running in the pro-class . his first pass was a 9.1 or sumthing like that, ran a second time vs a pro-class turbo charged mustang, john had a 1.3 60 ft and about the 1000 foot mk his motor goes ca-pooof and flames are everywhere, well im guesin it was the motor but he didnt race the rest of the night and he was on the side chillin next to his car, and bunch of domestic rice guys were yellin at him sayin take that **** home. yes it was a sad day for mr. shepard!!
It was not a sad day for us, we had a great time at the event and got along great with the other racers in attendance, and yes that includes the domestic racers. We are all good sportsman, all we want is to have some good racing and to put on a show for the fans in attendance. It does not matter if you drive a Fiat or a Turbo Mustang and I think all of those who actually raced did an excellent job at giving the fans some excellent racing to watch. I definetly reccomend to everyone that you attend this event next year if you can, we will be back for it.

We ran in the Pro Street class, which was the fastest class of the event. After the first round fo qualifying we were in the number 2 spot with a 8.08@195. Second round of qualifying we ran a new personal best of 7.70@191. We made some boost controller changes that didn't work out as well as planned, otherise the MPH would have been around 195 and may have been able to break into the 7.6 range.

First round of eliminations came and we were up against a drag radial mustang that has gone as fast as 7.8x. I lined John up in a sweet spot, when the lights dropped John managed a 1.21 60' and a new best to the 330'. When John shifted into third gear the tires started to spin instantly, like a tropper he kept it to the wood and rode it out. When it came time to shift into 4th he was crossed up with trying to steer the car straight and shift at the same time, he grabbed 2nd gear instead of 4th by accident. The motor over revved pretty badly but it was sturdy enough to stay together, John slammed her back in 4th and gave her hell. Still managing to run an 8.2@165 and take the win.

Second round came and we had to race a very sweet turbo mustang convertible. John had a killer reaction time and was bus lengths in front of the other car when the same scenario. This time the motor wasn't as happy with what happened and we had to park the car. We wish we could have continued on to give the fans a better show, and maybe take a win in the class. But hey that's racing; you win some, you lose some, and there is always next year.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

JOHN SHEPARD IS THE MAN PERIOD!!! (I was not paid to say that). When I get my tax return I am sending my tranny out to him. The man has nothing to prove.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by hopper
Um. That time was run on an Aussie track (the car is from New Zealand) which conforms to ANDRA standards (which, I believe, are taken directly from the NHRA).

Congrats to Shep for the 7.70 - you've got quite a fanbase across here in Australia
Old Nov 12, 2006, 05:32 PM

Well Done ! thats an awsesome feet fro a 4cylinder 4wd but does he really think he can beat Reese McGregor in the R32 GTR .
Reese said in recent interview after his record breaking run @ 7.57 that there is plenty left in the car because the Australian tracks were so well prepped that they did not neeed to run @ fullboost . The engine/car has a setup for a 7.4 second pass He has over 1600hp on tap .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSTNc1Vo5Qc
I'm not trying to bag John Shepherd he has pushed the 4g63 to its limit and done some amazing times and has nearly hit 300mph and if he can get the car to hook up it will match Reese's times as he has 1mph slower than John .But I think having the East/West engine setup wiil hold him back reliability wise. But we will have to wait till next season
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbRmMCtja5Y
Old Nov 12, 2006, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

they probably said take that **** home b/c he was beatin them allllll nite long...
Old Nov 12, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

How in the world did that mustang win running RWD? Are racing slicks really that effective?
Old Nov 12, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Oh yeah... AWD has it's limitations....
Old Nov 12, 2006, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mathgeek
How in the world did that mustang win running RWD? Are racing slicks really that effective?
with a properly set up suspension for optimum weight transfer, yes. haven't you ever seen brent rau's RWD 4G63 powered eclipse? no AWD's are running that fast. not to mention RWD has less power-robbing drivetrain loss.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hondafan
with a properly set up suspension for optimum weight transfer, yes. haven't you ever seen brent rau's RWD 4G63 powered eclipse? no AWD's are running that fast. not to mention RWD has less power-robbing drivetrain loss.
I'm not familiar with that particular car but I just assumed that AWD will always have the edge when it comes to launching, power loss notwithstanding. I was also marveling at how a RWD could deliver that much power to the rear wheels without breaking traction like crazy. Then again, funny cars put thousands of HP to the rear wheels so yeah, I understand now.

Quick Reply: John Shepard Goes Booooom!!