Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is this because of MIVEC or turbo spool?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this because of MIVEC or turbo spool?

This past weekend I took my friend (owns a suby) for canyon run on a cold night, and I noticed that while in higher revs, the rpms would hold when I took my foot off the gas. For example...I'm holding third gear at about 4500, then when I let off it stays cruising at 4500 until I hit a steeper incline. I love it because momentum is held, but my question is whether this is an ECU/MIVEC controlled feature or because the car's still in boost? My friend has had his WRX(modded) for 3yrs and he said that his car doesn't do that.

BTW...I could tell by the tone of my friends voice that he's a little jealous. Next day he's callin me about buying more parts and getting tuned.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostless
This past weekend I took my friend (owns a suby) for canyon run on a cold night, and I noticed that while in higher revs, the rpms would hold when I took my foot off the gas. For example...I'm holding third gear at about 4500, then when I let off it stays cruising at 4500 until I hit a steeper incline. I love it because momentum is held, but my question is whether this is an ECU/MIVEC controlled feature or because the car's still in boost? My friend has had his WRX(modded) for 3yrs and he said that his car doesn't do that.

BTW...I could tell by the tone of my friends voice that he's a little jealous. Next day he's callin me about buying more parts and getting tuned.
Your car should slow down when you let off the gas. We don't have cruise control. There is something wrong.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

search "rpm hang" or "throttle hang", I think there are other posts about this (not trying to be sarcastic). It is explained pretty well but i'm too lazy to read them all. something about the ecu or something. i think it randomly goes away with a tune. anyways, do a search.

BTW, i don't know if there's necessarily anything wrong
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's standard on all 05s and 06s - it was built in as an emissions feature, and we have not yet figured out how to disable it within the ECU.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
It's standard on all 05s and 06s - it was built in as an emissions feature, and we have not yet figured out how to disable it within the ECU.
yes, the slight hang in between shifts is one thing. But cruising along at 4500 rpms, letting off the gas and the car STAYs at 4500 rpms till you come to an incline is a whole nuther story...
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He probably just didn't explain it properly or didn't remember exactly how it happened.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

It seems that I was a little too concise with my description... The car never felt like it would continue forever as if it were cruise control, but being on a canyon drive with inclines & declines made it hard to determine how long the rpms held.

The "throttle hang" thread has the exact description that I was talking about. This explains why I haven't been able to get heel-toe rev matching/engine braking down. I don't see a big problem with it because my brakes aren't fighting with the engine. I figure if you're not on the throttle, you're on the brakes. It just came as a surprise when I let off while barreling toward a turn.

Last edited by boostless; Nov 7, 2006 at 12:51 AM.