Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Typical Issues with evos....?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THERE IS A HUGE PROBLEM THAT EVERY ONE MISSED! you will be winning way too many races. The only major thing i can think of is the syncros they tend to be kinda weak.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I was helpful, but interestingly, you were not. You completely ignored the OP's question and only focused on what I said, yet you tell ME to ignore such posts and move on? Kinda ironic, huh? You didn't even bother to answer his question.

Anyway, there is no search button at a bar or "track strip," so I have no idea what you're trying to say. The forum is for discussion, but not for discussion of things that have already been talked about 1000000 times. Plus, it's a rule...are you telling the moderators that their rules are meaningless? That wouldn't be too smart. What you're supposed to do is search FIRST, then post. I didn't say to search and then never post. AFter searching and reading all the previous discussions on a topic, you then formulate a question that is more specific, detailed, or that hasn't been answered yet. Does that make sense?
let the mods enforce the rules not you and everyone else who screams use the search button. and 8/10 is quicker to get a repsonse from someone then spending hours searching through stuff.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
edit
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by filter
let the mods enforce the rules not you and everyone else who screams use the search button. and 8/10 is quicker to get a repsonse from someone then spending hours searching through stuff.
Why must the mods waste their time with such trivial matters when we can police our own? Do you want everyone to tattle tale like it's kindergarten? You still have yet to answer the OP's question and are doing the exact opposite of what you're telling me to do. Ever heard the saying, "Do as I say, not as I do?" Notice I gave him advice on what year Evo to get and not to get, but you haven't given him anything.

Yes, it's quicker to post a thread instead of searching, and that is exactly the problem - being lazy instead of working for the answer. That is what you are arguing for...the right for people to be lazy slugs while breaking the site rules instead of doing what's right and finding all the info by searching. Hey, great suggestion.

OP, can you afford a used 05 or 06? It's possible to get lucky and find a never-before-modded 03 or 04 that doesn't end up with issues, but my guess it is a slim chance.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Some of the most common problems with Evos:
- Too many Evo owners are ricers who came from the Honda JDM world
- Too many Evo owners don't read the rules of the site before posting, which leads to...
- Too many of them don't bother to search before posting, which causes...
- Too many of them post threads asking questions that have been asked 1000 times

It's best to get an 06 even if used. Next best would be an 05. After that, you're pushing your luck with an 03 or 04. Getting one of those 2+ years used is a crapshoot.
why do people think honda owners are all ricers?? i hate that stereo type of the honda owners. yes majority of civics are ricers but then ther r other hondas that are really nice and so what if its from the "jdm world". i came from a honda to an evo is that really a problem?

ricers also have toyotas chevys dodge and even evos too so just dont put the ricers on hondas.

every thread i see u posting on u have to say something that makes someone angry
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
IMO JDM Honda is not rice. An Evo is a great car no matter what year you get. If you cant afford a 005-06 get a 03-04. As long as you get the car checked out (ie. compression test, leakdown test, take a look at the oil,brakes, take it for a ride to check for whine and such) who cares if its been modded before if you getting a great deal you can save your self 10+k vs a new one. Put that money into mods or a new stroker. Just know that you might have to put a clutch in it
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

although i came from a ITR-equipped EK, i'm gonna have to say that "JDM" and "JDM-style" is the new "rice" in terms of everyone adding ridiculously priced parts that add barely any significance to power/weight savings/etc. however, i'd much rather see a JDM-styled Honda over body-kitted, huge wings Honda any day of the week.

*edit*

lastly, to say that it's a problem that a former Honda owner bought an Evo is pretty ridiculous and ignorant. speaking for myself, i've probably wanted an Evo before most even knew they existed. just b/c i got a Honda over the available DSM's of the moment doesn't make me a ricer. in fact, if i recall correctly, the eclipse was just as a target rice mobile as any other civic and integra of the "rice" generation.

Last edited by llxzxll; Nov 7, 2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Justin, stereotypes exist, because there are so many examples of it in reality, so deal with it. Just like the stereotype that most Marines are not smart enough to get into other military services - well, even though I tested high enough to be in any service and could do any job I wanted, I chose the MArines, but that doesn't change the fact that the stereotype is still accurate. Plenty of nice Hondas out there, but we get tons of the ricers who come from fart can Civics into used 03 Evos and immediately put on an HKS SSQV and HKS RS intake. It happens way too often.

gsrboi, you make a good point, but most people do not have the time, patience, or know-how to get all of that done. Most people drive it once, pay the used car dealer too much, then ask us 3 months later why their new boost gauge says 11psi (boost system returned to stock) or why their rpms are jumping up and going back down everytime they boost (clutch). Plus, there's more to just paying less then putting the cash into huge mods. You have to remember that resale value doesn't change...in fact, it gets worse with the huge mods, so you may have spent the same overall for a heavily modded 03 as a new 06, but you have no value in the car. That sort of thing usually matters to someone who doesn't have enough to afford a new one...
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Justindc2
why do people think honda owners are all ricers?? i hate that stereo type of the honda owners. yes majority of civics are ricers but then ther r other hondas that are really nice and so what if its from the "jdm world". i came from a honda to an evo is that really a problem?

ricers also have toyotas chevys dodge and even evos too so just dont put the ricers on hondas.

every thread i see u posting on u have to say something that makes someone angry
I think you answered your question lol, because MOST are. But yea I came from a prelude and the stereotype does bother me too.

Back to the original question...05+ and you will be set. No problems what so ever on my 05 and I daily drive it and have taken multible trips to Maryland to Illinois no probs.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llxzxll
although i came from a ITR-equipped EK, i'm gonna have to say that "JDM" and "JDM-style" is the new "rice" in terms of everyone adding ridiculously priced parts that add barely any significance to power/weight savings/etc. however, i'd much rather see a JDM-styled Honda over body-kitted, huge wings Honda any day of the week.

*edit*

lastly, to say that it's a problem that a former Honda owner bought an Evo is pretty ridiculous and ignorant. speaking for myself, i've probably wanted an Evo before most even knew they existed. just b/c i got a Honda over the available DSM's of the moment doesn't make me a ricer. in fact, if i recall correctly, the eclipse was just as a target rice mobile as any other civic and integra of the "rice" generation.
Due to getting defensive, you missed the point. I said too many Honda ricers...I didn't say that all previous Honda owners who bought Evos were ricers - big difference there. yes, the NON TURBO Eclipses and Talons were rice-magnets, but the turbo'd versions were mostly performance-oriented - far more than the average Honda.

Hey, guys, be sure to respond to the OP instead of just responding to me...
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

i've had my evo since 03 and i haven't had any major issues... then again i don't really beat up on the car... just your normal "wear and tear" items have gotten replaced...
in actuallity it all depends on how you take care of your car... treat her right and she'll take care of you...
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Warr

Oh yea definately agreed. I wouldnt have bought mine or hersi f I thought that I was going to be bringing it somwhere to get work done or to get it warrentied. I bought this car knowing full well that a dealer or shop would never touch it. I bought it to mod and have fun with. To one day swap in a hellified stroker motor. Agreed on the resale too. Agian I bought it to mod not to drive it for a year and trade it cause I have a boost leak or cause I running on wastegate boost. The 03 is a great mod car cause you can pick it up cheap and if you know what your doing fix anything that might happen to it.

I hear your point though alot of people on this site would jump on the 03 and spend that 10k fixing the cause they got trigger happy and spent a crazy amount on the car used from a dealer that wont cover anything once the ink dry's. In these cases dont buy used at all

I dont think that the EVO is a car for somone that doesnt do their own work anyway. Most shops/dealers end up doing more harm to these cars than good
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rice? No, not all Honda owners should be so labeled. In order to avoid being branded so, one should avoid the following cardinal sins:

1 --- Fat plastic off-color whale tail bolted to the trunk
2 --- Yellow "Euro" film on stock headlights
3 --- Self-applied Limo tint with brow decal
4 --- Greddy, Apexi, Mugen, and HKS vinyls (sans mods)
5 --- Application of Red JDM Honda badging (sans mods)
6 --- Unused nitrous bottle shamelessly displayed in the floor
7 --- Takata Harnesses uselessly draped over stock seats
8 --- "Power Shifting" your stock automatic transmission
9 --- Open laptop left "suspiciously" in passenger seat

Avoid any combination of these things, and you'll be fine!

Old Nov 7, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Oh yea definately agreed. I wouldnt have bought mine or hersi f I thought that I was going to be bringing it somwhere to get work done or to get it warrentied. I bought this car knowing full well that a dealer or shop would never touch it. I bought it to mod and have fun with. To one day swap in a hellified stroker motor. Agreed on the resale too. Agian I bought it to mod not to drive it for a year and trade it cause I have a boost leak or cause I running on wastegate boost. The 03 is a great mod car cause you can pick it up cheap and if you know what your doing fix anything that might happen to it.

I hear your point though alot of people on this site would jump on the 03 and spend that 10k fixing the cause they got trigger happy and spent a crazy amount on the car used from a dealer that wont cover anything once the ink dry's. In these cases dont buy used at all

I dont think that the EVO is a car for somone that doesnt do their own work anyway. Most shops/dealers end up doing more harm to these cars than good
Yes, you see my point, and I see yours. We are in agreement.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

I got your back man